Pickleball costs Americans up to $500 Million in injuries.

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2023, 08:36 AM
Veteran member
Default Pickleball costs Americans up to $500 Million in injuries.

I found this review by an investment analyst interesting. A recent increase in healthcare utilization rates have been attributed to pickleball. More hip and knee surgeries are taken place.

The original article is on Bloomberg behind a paywall.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news...49ce1be4&ei=14
Old 06-27-2023, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

And what are pickleball's health benefits?

I had a friend at local dog park who was, and still maybe is, a pickleball instructor.

She was here from about 100 miles south where they have a lot more pickleball. Or did. The Villages probably surpassed this other place.
Old 06-27-2023, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Not surprising. We moved into a new village. Within six months four of our friends had broken bones from playing pickleball.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-27-2023, 10:32 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

The Orthopedic doctors are busy with the expansion of Pickleball. At our age, you can overdo any sport thinking you were as young as you use to be. From experience, even back issues with too much golf!
Old 06-27-2023, 10:50 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Why am I not surprised? 60 is not the new 40.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-27-2023, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,086 Times in 2,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
I found this review by an investment analyst interesting. A recent increase in healthcare utilization rates have been attributed to pickleball. More hip and knee surgeries are taken place.

What the analysis fails to recognize is that getting regular physical exercise can help avoid other aging related health issues . What’s worse, needing a knee replacement because of staying active, or becoming overweight, diabetic, and getting high blood pressure and cholesterol from living a sedate lifestyle? I’ll take the knee replacement.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Exactly - Risk vs Benefit -- I'll take a knee replacement over a double bypass any day - benefit wins on this one.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Exactly - Risk vs Benefit -- I'll take a knee replacement over a double bypass any day - benefit wins on this one.
I don't know, I never been old before.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Yes, but I think the point is that there are ways to exercise that are less stressful on older bodies.

Didn't even know about pickleball till I moved down here. I've played some, and like it well enough. Have some folks about my level, and we enjoy knocking it around.

My issue has been that unlike golf, where I am often paired with folks that have more or less skill than me, it seems to attract people that relish beating others and gloating. I played golf with an incredible player last week. Dropped it on the green off the tee every time almost. Never once did he gloat, or act annoyed when one of my shots wasn't quite as good as his. He gave limited pointers in a gracious manner. He is heading back north, otherwise I would have scheduled with him again. An absolute joy to play with, even though he is light years ahead of me skill-wise.

Pickleball? Seems some folks quickly revert to the 8th grade and forget that at one time, they were beginners too.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:53 PM
Gold member

It is definitely fun. Easier than tennis I'd say. There are groups in TV who do not know moderation when it comes to pickleball. First time I played was 20 years ago visiting my inlaws. A group of older ladies were playing on the next court. They got angry and a bit verbally aggressive because the pace we were playing was throwing off their game. The final straw was when a ball bounced off the top of the net and rolled their way. The mouths on those females (I did not ask but they appeared to be). On the way back I made a wrong turn somewhere near cane gardens (?). I ended up by a golf course. The elderly men must have heard the foul female language and taken it as a challenge. When we found our way back to the house I made some improper comment "Worlds friendliest hometown my a$$. Go..." What was this post about?
Old 06-27-2023, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Shouldn’t headline be pickle ball injuries cost insurance companies millions. If not people really need to rethink their coverage
Old 06-27-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
It is definitely fun. Easier than tennis I'd say. There are groups in TV who do not know moderation when it comes to pickleball. First time I played was 20 years ago visiting my inlaws. A group of older ladies were playing on the next court. They got angry and a bit verbally aggressive because the pace we were playing was throwing off their game. The final straw was when a ball bounced off the top of the net and rolled their way. The mouths on those females (I did not ask but they appeared to be). On the way back I made a wrong turn somewhere near cane gardens (?). I ended up by a golf course. The elderly men must have heard the foul female language and taken it as a challenge. When we found our way back to the house I made some improper comment "Worlds friendliest hometown my a$$. Go..." What was this post about?
I think those ladies are still around, and I played next to them. I've not experienced what you have on the golf course. Just the opposite. Great people, just out to have a nice time whacking a ball and hanging out.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Mayo Clinic weighs in

Mayo Clinic Study Suggests Pickleball Contributes To Longevity
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5967.jpg
Views:	1746
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	99048  
Old 06-28-2023, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post

Pickleball is all the rage these days. But it is also a demanding sport and many older adults who think it’s no big deal may not have the stamina or coordination required for it. And some are getting injured. Sorry to be blunt about it.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I think that diet and weight have a lot more effect on the overall health of older people than exercise.
Closed Thread

Tags
pickleball, attributed, hip, knee, surgeries

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.