Pickleball costs Americans up to $500 Million in injuries.

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2023, 05:27 AM

Pickleball is a great sport, they claim it is easy to pick up but hard to master. A lot of beginners complain when they go up against more advanced players, WHY? If you don’t like it, then go to dozens of other courts that have your level of play. I’m sure the more advanced players don’t want to play down either so it is a win win.
I gave up tennis to play pickleball with no regrets. PB is a lot more fun on the courts with people at your level than playing tennis.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:28 AM

I used to play ping pong and basketball a lot in my teens-30s. Yes there can be a lot of exertion and stops-starts on the knees. I found pickleball to be very similar to ping-pong and adapted well for a new player during my first couple tries. I'm not into it though but both ping pong and pickleball are great for burning calories and other benefits so not surprised at the health facts. I would suggest warming up lightly before beginning a game though. Maybe doing light weights before going out and playing. Don't stretch when muscles are cold, just do light squats and whatever muscles you'll use the most like back/shoulders. Been a weightlifter all my life and never had major reconstruction or surgeries...yet. Keep the knees strong with weights and keep body weight down to cut down on injures.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:34 AM
Default Enough already

Enough with wasting space on your quotes
Old 06-28-2023, 05:36 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOIS RAY View Post
Enough with wasting space on your quotes
Old 06-28-2023, 06:05 AM
Smile Torn Meniscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Why am I not surprised? 60 is not the new 40.
Yes, I agree with you on 60 not being the new 40. As much as I prize keeping in shape, at age 77 there are many things that I cannot do well. I tore my meniscus in 2016 and have chosen to not have surgery but find ways through physical exercise to strengthen what I have. I am my own worst enemy when it comes to fitness, not because I won't exercise; but rather because I don't know when to stop. My solution is to do a lot of Pilates, Yoga and hire an exercise physiologist to guide me. The DVD entitled "Maui Pilates" (about $20) has been a lifesaver. BTW I love your Plato quote.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:18 AM
Gold member

Pickleball is a blast. It's takes a bit to learn the rules, you've got to have proper shoes etc. There are many beginner pickleball times designated at rec centers where you will also find alot of advanced players on the same court. Staying within your skill level helps.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:35 AM

The racquets are too short for the balls which have inadequate bounce. Too many players straining to reach or diving for the ball.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:42 AM

At least two cardiac arrests on the pickelball courts I know of at Ezell so far. I was at the sports pool once when someone came over to use the phone for someone down on the pickle ball courts. Need to have phone and AEDs placed right at the pickelball courts. Stay safe out there!
Old 06-28-2023, 07:57 AM

There are over 3000 softball players in tv, I’m sure they have injuries also.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:03 AM

Helping Hands spoke at a VHA meeting I attended. It's the organization that loans out medical equipment. The speaker asked how many of us play pickelball and more than half raised their hands. He said to make sure and pick up one of their cards LOL. Just call 352-973-2284 to speak with one of their Coordinators:
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
At least two cardiac arrests on the pickelball courts I know of at Ezell so far. I was at the sports pool once when someone came over to use the phone for someone down on the pickle ball courts. Need to have phone and AEDs placed right at the pickelball courts. Stay safe out there!
Years ago there were AED's throughout my inlaws village. A couple of years back they were all removed. Was this a TV decision to remove the AED's, or isolated by Village?
Old 06-28-2023, 10:10 AM
Default St Catherine AEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
Years ago there were AED's throughout my inlaws village. A couple of years back they were all removed. Was this a TV decision to remove the AED's, or isolated by Village?
There is an AED at the rec center someone went to get but it took awhile. There is an extensive AED system set up by residents in St Catherine, but those are near the houses.
Old 06-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
Pickleball is all the rage these days. But it is also a demanding sport and many older adults who think it’s no big deal may not have the stamina or coordination required for it. And some are getting injured. Sorry to be blunt about it.
It probably also depends on whom you are playing as to the rate of play. Almost no one would do well against the Williams' sisters on any kind of tennis court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTDYuSFWSm8&t=11s
Old 06-28-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
If you live in a community with old folks, they're going to code if their arteries are clogged. Whether it's on the PB court or at ballroom dance, sooner or later something will give. Don't blame the sport.

From the orthopedic view, don't participate in activities at levels that your bones can't handle. Lift weights to make your bones denser and muscles stronger.
Old 06-28-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post

My issue has been that unlike golf, where I am often paired with folks that have more or less skill than me, it seems to attract people that relish beating others and gloating. I played golf with an incredible player last week. Dropped it on the green off the tee every time almost. Never once did he gloat, or act annoyed when one of my shots wasn't quite as good as his. He gave limited pointers in a gracious manner. He is heading back north, otherwise I would have scheduled with him again. An absolute joy to play with, even though he is light years ahead of me skill-wise.

Pickleball? Seems some folks quickly revert to the 8th grade and forget that at one time, they were beginners too.
Golf isn't PB. If you get paired with a weaker player, it doesn't ruin your game aside from maybe slowing down the pace a bit. In PB, a weak partner completely spoils the game for an advanced player. For that matter, so does a weak opponent. I just don't understand why beginner and adv beginner players don't prefer to play with people at their own level. It's more fun for everyone if you stay in your lane.
Closed Thread

Tags
pickleball, attributed, hip, knee, surgeries

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.