Pickleball - Next Steps?

Old 09-18-2023, 01:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts
Default Pickleball - Next Steps?

I have really enjoy playing pickleball in my short time here (less than a year). I took the Pickleball One class, then the five “mentored” sessions, and was told I was ready to advance to The Pickleball 2 class. I have participated in quite a few games at Beginner’s open play, and currently I play once a week with three other guys similar to my level for two hours each week.

I would rate myself as an “advanced beginner”, I get a little bit better each week, but I still have a lot of technique to learn. The Pickleball 2 class is currently only offered once-a-month, and fills very quickly, and I haven’t been able to secure a spot for months. I want to continue to be a part of my weekly 4-some, but I also want to invest more time in this sport, that I truly enjoy.

Does anyone know of someone who I could hire for private instruction (either 1:1 or small group) , that would work with me in becoming a stronger and more proficient pickleball player?

I want to make sure I am not picking up any bad habits, and need someone of a more advanced level to critique my performance.

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Nan Summers
(571) 867-7079

EngagePickleball Headquarters can recommend more:
4071 County Road 106
Oxford, FL 34484

Great advice, they have access to non-Villages pickleball courts and instructions.

Coach Mo Clinic
Every Monday 3-5 Pimlico (352-259-6990)
Phone registration required.
Great free beginner's clinic by Coach Mo. He is 80+ years old and an amazing winning pickleball player.

The Villages Pickleball Club (TVPB Club – We dink and dink and dink and dink)
First Monday of the Monday 7-8pm
Lake Miona Rec Center
No sign up. Just walk in.
Various topics. Check the website for updates.
This club is worth joining for $25 because they have multiple clinics either free or nominal cost. They typically bring pros in once a year and it includes a shirt.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:03 PM

Coach Matty Klien
443-373-1988
Old 09-18-2023, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,248 Times in 362 Posts

PM me. I can help. I teach beginners and advanced beginners every week.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 09-18-2023, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

You can take all lessons you want but it boils down to practice and reflexes. You Been playing year and rate yourself as advanced player IMO time to step up to open play. See how you preform under pressure.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

Could someone please share info on how to sign up for the Pickleball 1 class?
Old 09-19-2023, 06:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Could someone please share info on how to sign up for the Pickleball 1 class?
https://www.districtgov.org/departme...pdf?v=20230421

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
Old 09-19-2023, 06:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I have really enjoy playing pickleball in my short time here (less than a year). I took the Pickleball One class, then the five “mentored” sessions, and was told I was ready to advance to The Pickleball 2 class. I have participated in quite a few games at Beginner’s open play, and currently I play once a week with three other guys similar to my level for two hours each week.

I would rate myself as an “advanced beginner”, I get a little bit better each week, but I still have a lot of technique to learn. The Pickleball 2 class is currently only offered once-a-month, and fills very quickly, and I haven’t been able to secure a spot for months. I want to continue to be a part of my weekly 4-some, but I also want to invest more time in this sport, that I truly enjoy.

Does anyone know of someone who I could hire for private instruction (either 1:1 or small group) , that would work with me in becoming a stronger and more proficient pickleball player?

I want to make sure I am not picking up any bad habits, and need someone of a more advanced level to critique my performance.

Here's another:

https://www.picklepongdeb.com/
Old 09-19-2023, 06:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You can take all lessons you want but it boils down to practice and reflexes. You Been playing year and rate yourself as advanced player IMO time to step up to open play. See how you preform under pressure.
Repetition to build muscle memory is important but there's a lot of poor play in open play.

Pickleball is a team sport. Strategy is an important aspect. Easy to get into bad habits playing with people who don't know how to play as a team.

Mentored Instruction and drills will make someone a better player faster.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

More classes will be offered going into the busy season. Once a month is the summer schedule. Keep trying for the class.

Have you gone to "adv beginner play"? You might be ready for open play. Ask a few other players where you should go to find others at your level. Players tend to collect by level at the various rec centers.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Actually, he rated himself as an advanced “beginner” and is looking for someone to continue learning with.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:51 AM
Default Pickleball—next steps

Please look at the PCVG (Pickleball Community Volunteer Group) website, pickleballcommunity.com. This is the long-standing group that works with The Villages Rec Dept to offer instructional programs, clinics, leagues, rating clinics, tournaments, etc. Program offerings are increasing again now (always slows down in summer months) so you should be able to get into the classes you want. Have fun and be safe!
Jean K
PCVG Board of Directors
Old 09-20-2023, 06:45 AM
Default Pickleball plsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post

PCVG will starts its fall lessons on Oct 2 so there should be weekly classes instead of a month.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Default IN Pickleball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBoyR55 View Post
Please look at the PCVG (Pickleball Community Volunteer Group) website, pickleballcommunity.com. This is the long-standing group that works with The Villages Rec Dept to offer instructional programs, clinics, leagues, rating clinics, tournaments, etc.

Program offerings are increasing again now (always slows down in summer months) so you should be able to get into the classes you want. Have fun and be safe!
Jean K
PCVG Board of Directors
Does anyone want a copy of "the travel issue "
I don't know where I got it or why. FREE
Old 09-20-2023, 09:31 AM

The rec centers seem to be giving away all the Pickleball times to private groups. Other than a small handful of beginner two hour sessions around the Villages, it is very difficult for a single player at the beginner/advanced beginner level to find a place to play who doesn’t feel good enuf for open play. Anyone have any suggestions please of where to play north of 466?

Tags
pickleball, week, class, play, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.