Pickleball - Open Beginners Play

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
There are some players in all sports who like to play against lesser opposition, it makes them feel better about themselves.
Years ago we took PB101 class. After instruction and rules, the instructor paired everyone in doubles. The couple we played with kicked the ever-loving crap out of us. When I mentioned it to the husband, he said he had only played "for a couple of years" and his wife "several more". Then he just laughed and I knew right then he was one of those players.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:35 AM
Platinum member

In the end the good guy gets the girl
Old 05-15-2023, 05:53 AM

Michael61–Richmond courts are reserved on Thursdays, 4-5:50pm, thru the Richmond FB group event (if you follow the that). May want to check that out & play with other player levels.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:08 AM

There are players that are new to pickleball but are or were accomplished tennis players. That's people are initially very good at beginner play as they can hit the ball very hard and well from the baseline. They start out well but if they do not learn the soft game they do not advance to the intermediate level. They just stay at the beginner level and intimidate other beginners. Your best option is to find a group that has good beginners that have reserved time after 12 noon. There are many pickleball groups that have reserved time with a true mix of levels so all can play and feel comfortable. You said you played at water lilly so I assume you are south of 44. Just keep signing up for BMP and you will get there.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

I can't believe your scenario OP. Beginner's open play should be be for BEGINNERS!!! As others have said I would keep asking how long people have been playing and calling them out on not being beginners if that's the case. I hope you keep at it and avoid the idiots that are where they shouldn't be.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

And remember, that if you find a jerk in the group, there are others who recognize the jerk. You won't be the only one who wants to avoid the jerk.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I have been playing pickleball for about seven weeks. I have never been super athletic, but am enjoying the game immensely. I took the intro class, have been showing up for beginners open play about three times per week, and am currently attending the mentorship classes. It is encouraging to me, that I get just a little better with each practice, and I am determined to increase my level of proficiency, while still keeping the emphasis on fun and exercise. What is frustrating to me, is the many very good players that show up for beginners open play. There are open play designations for beginners, advanced beginners and intermediate. As I enjoy playing and learning from those better than me, it is intimidating to play with those who are WAY better than me, playing themselves for many years, yet playing in beginners open play. Today in open play, I kept getting paired up with the same group, who were all very good players. I felt sorry for the person who was paired with me, as the games were all played very quickly with scores of 11-1, 11-0 and 11-2. It was almost impossible for me to return any of the serves, and I didn’t get any real practice in of hitting the ball back. Everyone was very nice, but I felt like such an anchor playing with these more highly experienced players in beginners open play. This has happened more than once during the open play. Sometimes I get grouped with actual other beginners, and that to me is more beneficial, getting more “volley” time in. As a single player, I don’t have the option of going to open play with an established group of 4 at my level of play. The friends and neighbors I have met that play, are all much more experienced than me. Maybe this is something I just need to “get over” and work through. I see myself improving with each practice, and I am very much determined to get good at this sport that I really enjoy. I am also thinking of taking private lessons to improve my game and technique. With that said, if there is anyone else that is fairly new to pickleball, that love it as much as I do, please message me, and it would be great to meet up and practice.
Sent you a PM
Old 05-15-2023, 06:41 AM

It's not just you. My friend and I have had the same experience with beginner pickelball. Probably the nature of some sports to be competitive. I took basic training for water volleyball and even that was competitive where I never got the ball once, the taller players reaching over me. The second time I ever golfed (at a pitch and putt no less) someone walked up to the tee and shouted at me they were waiting. I've soured on all three of the sports and don't need that aggravation. I've found other more pleasant activities and people to play with. Good luck if you decide to stay with pickelball.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:45 AM

Always bring a water bottle to any pickleball court that you play at. If you get in with a group your not having fun with be sure to go to your water bottle and get a drink and get in line several players behind your prior group. Don't play with people that your not having a good time with.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:06 AM

Unfortunately, your pickleball intimidation experience is not uncommon when starting. Try playing at Santiago courts in the AM during open play. Ask for a Hot and Spicy group member. It's a great group, fun and social, that warmly accepts newbees.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheHead View Post
Always bring a water bottle to any pickleball court that you play at. If you get in with a group your not having fun with be sure to go to your water bottle and get a drink and get in line several players behind your prior group. Don't play with people that your not having a good time with.
This is great advice. I’d add that taking a bathroom break also let’s you move back in the line.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:46 AM

The bullies are at every level and do stay through advanced beginner and beginner time schedules. I wish the courts were monitored. I also wish the more advanced players would help teach new people. Kindness is everywhere in the Villages but unfortunately we do see bullies on many pickleball courts. I started a neighborhood group for beginners and we play in the evening. Kindness is the rule. Everyone tries to help newbies. It is so much more enjoyable. Try to get a group of your own started. Courts are usually open after 5 or 6 pm. Good luck. Hang in there and enjoy.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:47 AM
Default Same

Quote:
I have been playing pickleball for about seven weeks. I have never been super athletic, but am enjoying the game immensely. I took the intro class, have been showing up for beginners open play about three times per week, and am currently attending the mentorship classes. It is encouraging to me, that I get just a little better with each practice, and I am determined to increase my level of proficiency, while still keeping the emphasis on fun and exercise. What is frustrating to me, is the many very good players that show up for beginners open play. There are open play designations for beginners, advanced beginners and intermediate. As I enjoy playing and learning from those better than me, it is intimidating to play with those who are WAY better than me, playing themselves for many years, yet playing in beginners open play. Today in open play, I kept getting paired up with the same group, who were all very good players. I felt sorry for the person who was paired with me, as the games were all played very quickly with scores of 11-1, 11-0 and 11-2. It was almost impossible for me to return any of the serves, and I didn’t get any real practice in of hitting the ball back. Everyone was very nice, but I felt like such an anchor playing with these more highly experienced players in beginners open play. This has happened more than once during the open play. Sometimes I get grouped with actual other beginners, and that to me is more beneficial, getting more “volley” time in. As a single player, I don’t have the option of going to open play with an established group of 4 at my level of play. The friends and neighbors I have met that play, are all much more experienced than me. Maybe this is something I just need to “get over” and work through. I see myself improving with each practice, and I am very much determined to get good at this sport that I really enjoy. I am also thinking of taking private lessons to improve my game and technique. With that said, if there is anyone else that is fairly new to pickleball, that love it as much as I do, please message me, and it would be great to meet up and practice.
I had the same experience a few years back with Platform Tennis. It was so bad I left in tears and never played again. The “beginners” had been playing together for a few years and didn’t want to break up the group, so they kept coming. I, as a former tennis player, was messing up their game while trying to get used to the length of the racquet and weight of the ball. I was humiliated and embarrassed and never got to play a sport I thought would be a good fit.
I hear you….
Old 05-15-2023, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Good point! Good players should not play in beginners open play just to get in some extra play or wait in a short line. And remember that pickle ball is not without danger. I have a close friend who is extremely athletic and agile and when learning pickle ball was matched the way you were. This led to a fall and a broken wrist.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

///

Last edited by Velvet; 05-16-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, open, beginners, playing, practice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.