Pickleball - Open Beginners Play

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2023, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Good point! Good players should not play in beginners open play just to get in some extra play or wait in a short line. And remember that pickle ball is not without danger. I have a close friend who is extremely athletic and agile and when learning pickle ball was matched the way you were. This led to a fall and a broken wrist.
In order for me to play with my wife I have to play "beneath" my level, but the common courtesy when doing so is to try to keep points going by hitting shots that are challenging for the opponent, but not intimidating or impossible to return.

Of course, sometimes this is harder than hitting the obvious winner, and a shot I would have easily put away goes into the net and makes me look like a doofus. But that's OK. Egos should be put aside when playing in that circumstance.

Also infuriating is the guy who should be playing a step or two higher, but loves to hit drives at weaker players. Often the weaker player is a player who may not even have the hand-eye coordination to protect his or her face from the shot. I've had words with a few of these guys. It is perfectly acceptable to refuse to be on the court with them. Believe me, everyone in the line knows who this guy is, and he should be shunned until he finds the group where he belongs and isn't dangerous.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:26 AM

It's called sandbagging. experienced players preying on beginners. only way to overcome this is to get better. you get better is by a lot of practice and playing against people that are better than you. get to know players that are at your level and advance as your technique improves - it will with practice.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:02 AM

I agree with you. Experienced players should not be allowed in the time slot for Beginners Only. The Rec Centers should have control over this so actual beginners can play and gain the confidence they need to move up. I played with a neighbor once just to volley you would have thought she was in the World's Olympics the way she served to me who had never played. It ruins the fun of the game. I play golf much better than when I first arrived. I play solo often and when I am playing with a beginner I give them tons of encouragement even when the shots are way off course. If you want to play real beginners PB look me up. I will play with you.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCamlin View Post
I agree with you. Experienced players should not be allowed in the time slot for Beginners Only. The Rec Centers should have control over this so actual beginners can play and gain the confidence they need to move up. I played with a neighbor once just to volley you would have thought she was in the World's Olympics the way she served to me who had never played. It ruins the fun of the game. I play golf much better than when I first arrived. I play solo often and when I am playing with a beginner I give them tons of encouragement even when the shots are way off course. If you want to play real beginners PB look me up. I will play with you.
It would be impossible to enforce. At what point, and with exactly how much experience does one no longer qualify to be at a specific level. The players know, and some of the players in the line may enjoy playing with a better player, others will not. The best enforcement is to simply say "no thanks, I'll wait"..

Every level has a variety of skills within that level. The "Intermediate" level is the largest demographic in the sport. At the lower end you have players who have just graduated from "Advanced Beginner" and are likely a bit trepidatious about playing with the intermediates. At the top end you have players who could probably compete, but maybe not win any games, at the "Advanced" Open Play.

Unfortunately, very often, the new arrivals at the bottom of the spectrum are treated as if they don't belong when they do move up, and happen to draw the better players in the group. To the best "Intermediate" players, a player who would be accused of "sandbagging" at "Advanced Beginner" may look like he/she doesn't belong there, and may be made to feel unwelcome. So that player moves back down to where he or she is comfortable, and then gets accused of sandbagging.

So, don't be shy about saying "no thank you"...if they are that much better than you are, they'll be just as glad you did.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:16 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

So much good, helpful, and encouraging posts here - thanks everyone! I was in mentorship group today at Clarendon - partnered with three other “beginners” and we had a great time with a great coach (Diane). We got lots of good rallys in, as we all were pretty evenly matched by our skill level. I’ve received a few private messages, and will try and respond to them by tomorrow - This is such a great site in helping me acclimate to all things Villages!😀
Old 05-15-2023, 11:18 AM
Default New to pickle ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I have been playing pickleball for about seven weeks. I have never been super athletic, but am enjoying the game immensely. I took the intro class, have been showing up for beginners open play about three times per week, and am currently attending the mentorship classes. It is encouraging to me, that I get just a little better with each practice, and I am determined to increase my level of proficiency, while still keeping the emphasis on fun and exercise. What is frustrating to me, is the many very good players that show up for beginners open play. There are open play designations for beginners, advanced beginners and intermediate. As I enjoy playing and learning from those better than me, it is intimidating to play with those who are WAY better than me, playing themselves for many years, yet playing in beginners open play. Today in open play, I kept getting paired up with the same group, who were all very good players. I felt sorry for the person who was paired with me, as the games were all played very quickly with scores of 11-1, 11-0 and 11-2. It was almost impossible for me to return any of the serves, and I didn’t get any real practice in of hitting the ball back. Everyone was very nice, but I felt like such an anchor playing with these more highly experienced players in beginners open play. This has happened more than once during the open play. Sometimes I get grouped with actual other beginners, and that to me is more beneficial, getting more “volley” time in. As a single player, I don’t have the option of going to open play with an established group of 4 at my level of play. The friends and neighbors I have met that play, are all much more experienced than me. Maybe this is something I just need to “get over” and work through. I see myself improving with each practice, and I am very much determined to get good at this sport that I really enjoy. I am also thinking of taking private lessons to improve my game and technique. With that said, if there is anyone else that is fairly new to pickleball, that love it as much as I do, please message me, and it would be great to meet up and practice.
I would love to learn to play! Maybe we should recruit others to get 4 of us!
Old 05-15-2023, 07:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
No, there are more than a few "veterans", who have been playing for years, who enjoy beating the crap out beginners. It's an ego thing...

The Boss and my first foray into pickleball ended badly. We had watched the video, taken both Beginning Pickleball part 1 & 2, but had never actually played...

While waiting in line, there was an obvious veteran (he had ALL the gear, much of it quite shopworn), spouting off about how he hates it when "these newbies" show up, and don't know what they are doing...

We were taken aback, and figured that was our invitation to leave... We stuck around, just to watch for a while (btw, you can learn a lot watching others play), and we saw this guy absolutely crush his opponents. The joy he took in doing so was so off putting, we seriously considered giving up before we started...

But we took Pickleball Part 2 a 2nd time, felt much better about our game and when to a different Open Beginners rec center. The people we played with were so much more accepting and inviting. Offering tips, and putting up with out mistakes. We also found that at pretty much any rec center we played at. The other players we inviting, encouraging and quite nice.

When I had to return north to work, my wife stayed in TV and kept playing.

She's met several very nice people, and has run into them at various courts...

One final thing... She was paired up with another single and they were playing against another "bully"... Neither she, nor her partner could return very many serves, and the game wasn't fun for anyone (except for the bully). She finally called him out, asking why he was playing "beginner's pickleball" when he was obviously a much better player? He then became quite condescending, lobbing serves, asking "Is that one okay?", "Did I hit it too hard?" She told him to "Stop being an ass! We're here to have fun!" (she's had practice saying that when talking to me! )

When the game was over, he gathered up his stuff and left. Several people in line then thanked her, saying he was a regular, who always played like that...

Just show up, enjoy the game, ignore the jerks. Sadly, you'll run into one of them from time to time. Just smile and do your best.
Wow! Was his name Narcissist? Wonder if he likes playing against people who are better than him?
Old 05-18-2023, 04:29 PM
Default Court personality

If there is one thing I've learned playing PB here in The Villages for 12 years is that each court has its own personality. Not only that, but the personality may change from one time slot to another.
Some courts are dominated by gender, others by skill level yet others by long established cliques.
My advise is try different courts and times until you find one where you fit in and are well accepted. It may take a while but you will find it with well over 200 courts in TV. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:41 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethetennisplayer View Post
If there is one thing I've learned playing PB here in The Villages for 12 years is that each court has its own personality. Not only that, but the personality may change from one time slot to another.
Some courts are dominated by gender, others by skill level yet others by long established cliques.
My advise is try different courts and times until you find one where you fit in and are well accepted. It may take a while but you will find it with well over 200 courts in TV. Good luck.
I agree with your basic premise on court personality. However, times set aside for beginner players should not be a crap shoot. There should ONLY be beginner players on that court at that time. A possible exception is a person or spouse working with a beginner to learn the game.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 05-18-2023, 07:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I agree with your basic premise on court personality. However, times set aside for beginner players should not be a crap shoot. There should ONLY be beginner players on that court at that time. A possible exception is a person or spouse working with a beginner to learn the game.
I think you are almost right, but not quite completely right. I think it would be more correct to say that all play should be with the beginner in mind. Stronger players should moderate their aggressiveness in order to provide a level of play that challenges, but does not overwhelm, the others on the court.

An intermediate or advanced player can do this, and most will. Anyone who is strong enough to overwhelm, and chooses to do so, should simply be told "no thank you" by those who don't wish to play that game. Sooner, rather than later, that player will find another venue.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:43 AM

When my wife and I first started, we felt the same way. However, we quickly learned that playing with and against better players improved our performance. We still go to advanced beginner play (primarily because many of the people we started with still go) and we often hear some new players voice the same complaint. But we also have new players seek us out as partners because they want help improving their game. If you remain uncomfortable playing with better players, let them know. When someone tells us they are very new, we step out of line and help them find players at their level.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I think you are almost right, but not quite completely right. I think it would be more correct to say that all play should be with the beginner in mind. Stronger players should moderate their aggressiveness in order to provide a level of play that challenges, but does not overwhelm, the others on the court.

An intermediate or advanced player can do this, and most will. Anyone who is strong enough to overwhelm, and chooses to do so, should simply be told "no thank you" by those who don't wish to play that game. Sooner, rather than later, that player will find another venue.
No, absolutely disagree. The times set aside for Beginner makes it pretty clear. Not - modify your game to play like a beginner - but be a beginner. As I stated previously, the exception can be a person instructing a beginner.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 05-19-2023, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
No, absolutely disagree. The times set aside for Beginner makes it pretty clear. Not - modify your game to play like a beginner - but be a beginner. As I stated previously, the exception can be a person instructing a beginner.
How would you identify a beginner, from an advanced beginner? How would you enforce it?

Is it based upon skill level? Is it based upon how many times you've played? How many weeks, months, or years you've played?

The better player doesn't modify their game to "play like a beginner", the better player modifies their game to challenge the beginner, but not overwhelm them. That's how beginners become advanced beginners, not by just playing other beginners.

But it doesn't really matter if we agree on this or not, because whether we agree or disagree will not change what beginners run into on a court. IMO, the important take-home lesson here for the beginner who finds a player they don't want to play with, is to simply say "no thank you," and invite someone else forward.

Last edited by Laker14; 05-19-2023 at 11:12 AM. Reason: another thought:
Old 05-19-2023, 12:39 PM

So... let me ask you this. If I am playing with an opponent who turns out to be an "over achiever" and continues to slam the ball either at me or at my feet, can I -- at that juncture -- say "NO THANK YOU" and walk off the court?

Of course, I'm being overly dramatic, but hey... maybe then they would get the message
Old 05-19-2023, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
So... let me ask you this. If I am playing with an opponent who turns out to be an "over achiever" and continues to slam the ball either at me or at my feet, can I -- at that juncture -- say "NO THANK YOU" and walk off the court?

Of course, I'm being overly dramatic, but hey... maybe then they would get the message
Nothing wrong with staying away from them future games.

Or you learn how to get to the NVZ and block drop the ball just over the net into the opponents NVZ. Best way to defuse bangers.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, open, beginners, playing, practice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.