Pickleball - Open Beginners Play

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2023, 06:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,725 Times in 983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
So... let me ask you this. If I am playing with an opponent who turns out to be an "over achiever" and continues to slam the ball either at me or at my feet, can I -- at that juncture -- say "NO THANK YOU" and walk off the court?

Of course, I'm being overly dramatic, but hey... maybe then they would get the message
Well, it depends upon how dramatic you like to be. I would probably just try to survive the game with my eyeballs still in their sockets and then quietly, but assertively refuse to play with them again. Others, who don't mind calling out people in public would not be so shy.

As far as I'm concerned either way works for me.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Nothing wrong with staying away from them future games.

Or you learn how to get to the NVZ and block drop the ball just over the net into the opponents NVZ. Best way to defuse bangers.
That is a glib response. The point is we are talking about beginners. They may progress to the point of being able to "defuse bangers", and when they do they won't be beginners anymore.

When I was a beginner I felt I had the hand-eye coordination to protect my face in that circumstance, but while I was a beginner at pickleball, I had played years of platform tennis, table tennis, and 3rd base. I was learning the game of pickleball, but I have better than average hand-eye coordination. I was OK with people firing fastballs at me, but I wasn't OK with them firing fastballs at my wife, who did not have the ability to protect herself.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:51 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default PB

Suggestion: when you are in any of the pb classes. Ask people in the class if they would like to get together to practice what you learned. There are lot of open times to play.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,224 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
So... let me ask you this. If I am playing with an opponent who turns out to be an "over achiever" and continues to slam the ball either at me or at my feet, can I -- at that juncture -- say "NO THANK YOU" and walk off the court?

Of course, I'm being overly dramatic, but hey... maybe then they would get the message
Did something change ? Hitting low shots is the name of the game. Slamming low is part of it. The only time I get high is when it's high and hard at me and I'm able to get the paddle up the deflect back.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
That is a glib response. The point is we are talking about beginners. They may progress to the point of being able to "defuse bangers", and when they do they won't be beginners anymore.

When I was a beginner I felt I had the hand-eye coordination to protect my face in that circumstance, but while I was a beginner at pickleball, I had played years of platform tennis, table tennis, and 3rd base. I was learning the game of pickleball, but I have better than average hand-eye coordination. I was OK with people firing fastballs at me, but I wasn't OK with them firing fastballs at my wife, who did not have the ability to protect herself.
Very sorry, did not intend to be glib.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,265 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
How would you identify a beginner, from an advanced beginner? How would you enforce it?

Is it based upon skill level? Is it based upon how many times you've played? How many weeks, months, or years you've played?

The better player doesn't modify their game to "play like a beginner", the better player modifies their game to challenge the beginner, but not overwhelm them. That's how beginners become advanced beginners, not by just playing other beginners.

But it doesn't really matter if we agree on this or not, because whether we agree or disagree will not change what beginners run into on a court. IMO, the important take-home lesson here for the beginner who finds a player they don't want to play with, is to simply say "no thank you," and invite someone else forward.
Unfortunately it isn't and can't really be enforced. The Aholes will show up and play to make themselves feel better and "challenge the beginner" during beginner play times.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 05-20-2023, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,376 Times in 4,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Did something change ? Hitting low shots is the name of the game. Slamming low is part of it. The only time I get high is when it's high and hard at me and I'm able to get the paddle up the deflect back.
Completely missing the point...

BEGINNERS typically do not have the skill set to play that shot...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-20-2023, 02:42 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,224 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Completely missing the point...

BEGINNERS typically do not have the skill set to play that shot...
How about taking PB One and Two to start with. A lot of people walk out there without ever hitting a ball or looking up the rules. The platform tennis cages are the perfect place for two people to learn the game and practice in.
Old 05-20-2023, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
How about taking PB One and Two to start with. A lot of people walk out there without ever hitting a ball or looking up the rules. The platform tennis cages are the perfect place for two people to learn the game and practice in.
That's a given... If you look for pickleball on TV website, they state you should take those classes...

In our case, we watched the video, took PB I and then took PB II twice... BEFORE even trying to attend an open PB session...

And it doesn't change what I said, at all... Most beginners (even after taking said classes) still don't have that ability...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-20-2023, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
That's a given... If you look for pickleball on TV website, they state you should take those classes...

In our case, we watched the video, took PB I and then took PB II twice... BEFORE even trying to attend an open PB session...

And it doesn't change what I said, at all... Most beginners (even after taking said classes) still don't have that ability...
I teach Intro to Pickleball and a 2.5 level drill and play every week. You are exactly right. That is why TV tries to set aside courts and times for beginners to play with others of their skill level and get better. It takes a while even after a person takes the classes. Remember that the class(s) is only a 2 hour experience. The beginner courts are where they go to try and apply what they were taught in a non-threatening environment.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 05-21-2023, 06:14 PM

I started playing in January and have only felt comfortable at Water Lily open play for the last month. I was there that Sunday. There are many regulars who show up for open play daily starting about 7:30. By 9:00, there are usually around 30 to 40 regulars playing. I only noticed a handful of non-regulars show up at 10:00 am, I'm assuming for beginner's open play. I'm not sure if there were even enough beginners for one court, so it appeared that some of the regulars would have to play with the beginners for them to even have a game. It was not a case of advanced players showing up for beginner's play, but advanced players not leaving when the beginner's play time slot started. Some of the guys are pretty good, so it seems you were unlucky enough to be paired with them. Water Lily has six courts and two gates. Maybe the rec center staff could hang a Beginner's Open sign on the opposite side of the courts where everyone lines up for open play. If twelve beginners showed up, then the regulars would be limited to three courts, while beginners would have three courts. There are several groups who have the 10:00 to 11:50 time slot reserved every week day. During peak snowbird season, those groups typically need all six courts, but lately, they only need one or two courts and are happy to share the other four courts with the regulars.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michbird View Post
I started playing in January and have only felt comfortable at Water Lily open play for the last month. I was there that Sunday. There are many regulars who show up for open play daily starting about 7:30. By 9:00, there are usually around 30 to 40 regulars playing. I only noticed a handful of non-regulars show up at 10:00 am, I'm assuming for beginner's open play. I'm not sure if there were even enough beginners for one court, so it appeared that some of the regulars would have to play with the beginners for them to even have a game. It was not a case of advanced players showing up for beginner's play, but advanced players not leaving when the beginner's play time slot started. Some of the guys are pretty good, so it seems you were unlucky enough to be paired with them. Water Lily has six courts and two gates. Maybe the rec center staff could hang a Beginner's Open sign on the opposite side of the courts where everyone lines up for open play. If twelve beginners showed up, then the regulars would be limited to three courts, while beginners would have three courts. There are several groups who have the 10:00 to 11:50 time slot reserved every week day. During peak snowbird season, those groups typically need all six courts, but lately, they only need one or two courts and are happy to share the other four courts with the regulars.
It has been a long while since my wife was trying to find a beginners court that was truly only beginners. It was frustrating for her. She went to Mulberry where they have 3 pods. The rec center staff actually came out to the designated pod and announced that that pod was for beginners only and all others please leave. Kudos to that rec center. Would be nice if they all did that but I know they don't and most won't.

I agree with you that there is no reason the courts can't be shared if the demand is small. However, the "regulars" usually end their time in open play at 10. Anything after that requires a designated time slot in some group name or willingness to give way to whoever does.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
It has been a long while since my wife was trying to find a beginners court that was truly only beginners. It was frustrating for her. She went to Mulberry where they have 3 pods. The rec center staff actually came out to the designated pod and announced that that pod was for beginners only and all others please leave. Kudos to that rec center. Would be nice if they all did that but I know they don't and most won't.

I agree with you that there is no reason the courts can't be shared if the demand is small. However, the "regulars" usually end their time in open play at 10. Anything after that requires a designated time slot in some group name or willingness to give way to whoever does.
Are you talking about players who are obviously not beginners playing on courts before 10 AM, but then not leaving, as a group, to make the courts available for the beginners at 10? I hadn't even thought of that scenario.
I was thinking about those one or two people who like to hang around and play beneath their level so they can dominate weaker players.

Obviously, both are examples of what should not happen. The one or two players are easy enough to avoid, but a group occupying a couple of courts during congested open play is even more obnoxious .
Old 05-22-2023, 09:21 AM
Default Beginners in PB

I agree it is hard to play in the beginner open sessions when the more experienced players stick around and play during that time. However, in many cases, they will "play down" and it is a good learning experience. If they are slamming, they may not be more than a beginner. At any rate, when I play in the beginner open sessions and someone very experienced uses that as a time to practice taking out my eyeballs, I just don't play with them again. I wait for other players. It all works out. Better yet, be their partner lol.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Are you talking about players who are obviously not beginners playing on courts before 10 AM, but then not leaving, as a group, to make the courts available for the beginners at 10? I hadn't even thought of that scenario.
Every time we've gone to an open beginners session, the court are cleared by 5 till 10... It's never been a problem with people "forgetting" to leave. Once they see people lining up, they know it's time...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
play, open, beginners, playing, practice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.