What will pickleball look like?

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2020, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1949a View Post
Softball should be even harder TO START UP.
I agree. It will be very hard to convince some players to stop chewing, spitting, hugging, and most of all patting a players Rear End when rounding the bases.

I think it will all go down to a " Secret Ballot Vote " all those habits will be tough to give up especially when a player rounds 3rd base and comes to home plate.

Lotta sweat, hugging, and patting goin on.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:20 PM

Play on! If you are scared, don't play. Simple as that. This virus is not going anywhere, so go on about your life and deal with it personally if or when you get it. Same as what you would do if you get the flu, cancer, heart problems, copd, etc. You did not change your lifestyle to avoid getting any of those diseases. So why the big hype over this one. Oh yeah, the media said it was bad! Here's a health tip. Stop letting the media lie to you, it is unhealthy and eventually will kill you.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
[B] I agree. It will be very hard to convince some players to stop chewing, spitting, hugging, and most of all patting a players Rear End when rounding the bases.
Large numbers of peer-reviewed and published laboratory and university studies have confirmed that rear end patting is safe. At least as far as the virus is concerned.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,985 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
The kitchen, on each side, is 7 feet. If you and your opponent are outside the kitchen you are at least 14 feet away.

True, but I would rather be beside someone sneezing unless the wind blowing in my direction
Old 04-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I've heard that careful people wear deep-diving suits. The heavy screw-on head covering REALLY protects against your germs getting out or their germs getting in. No need to thrown any part of it away after a year's use.

I have full painters suit with respirator fresh hose attached to portable air supply attached to me when I play.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Play singles, more and better exercise anyway
Great solution. Simple.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:12 PM

Personally, I think TV response was completely over the top. The common sense thing to do would have been to take down the nets on the center courts only. You are rarely closer than 6-8 feet to your partner and, if you wear gloves on both hands, are not touching anything in common with anyone else except the ball with a gloved hand. You could also spray the balls with disinfectant between matches and have people waiting to play self distance or outside the gate. One world renowned doctor has said that No Virus can travel 6', much less 13 or 20 feet. Common sense - if you are sneezing or coughing or running a fever, STAY HOME! How easy is that. Open up the courts and let's play. This has gone on long enough.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Large numbers of peer-reviewed and published laboratory and university studies have confirmed that rear end patting is safe. At least as far as the virus is concerned.
Obviously coming from an " Expert Ball Player " if ya get the drift " Play Ball " and round 3rd base and head for Home Plate with a smile.

Oh Yeah
Old 04-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Seems to be some singles fans here. Although I always played singles tennis, I almost never played singles pickleball, basically because the drop-in nature of most pickleball games is set up for doubles.

However, I could quickly muster up some enthusiasm for singles if it will help relaunch the sport quicker in TV. I hope TV's pickleball captains, teachers and organizers, which we're so lucky to have, are reading this and giving some thought to starting up, or expanding, singles games at certain courts. If so, I for one would prefer that it remain the drop-in format because not everyone has (or wants) regular partners to play with.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:17 PM

You make many good points, but in the end, we are all adults, and I would hope we are left to make these decisions without being dictated to.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
As was promised a while ago, everyone that wants a test can get a test. That being the case, I see us testing all players every week and those that are negative get to play. Anybody have a problem with that?

And where are going to get all the tests? Are you volunteering to pay for them?
Old 04-22-2020, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

Did you know that gullible is not in the dictionary?
Old 04-22-2020, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Seems to be some singles fans here. Although I always played singles tennis, I almost never played singles pickleball, basically because the drop-in nature of most pickleball games is set up for doubles.

However, I could quickly muster up some enthusiasm for singles if it will help relaunch the sport quicker in TV. I hope TV's pickleball captains, teachers and organizers, which we're so lucky to have, are reading this and giving some thought to starting up, or expanding, singles games at certain courts. If so, I for one would prefer that it remain the drop-in format because not everyone has (or wants) regular partners to play with.
Couple groups play singles, men usually play at becall on Wednesday and fishhawk on Saturday 10 to noon. Pretty close to singles tennis, but don’t try to come in on weak approach, you’ll get passed easily. Due to all the side outs very good exercise if you can keep up. Nothing like doubles you have to have strong deep serve and deep ground strokes.

Village pickleball not interested in singles pickleball
Old 04-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Did you know that gullible is not in the dictionary?
I like responding to outrageous posts, most get deleted
Old 04-22-2020, 03:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,258 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
True, but only if carefully placed on one side or the other and with a willing partner.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Closed Thread

Tags
play, playing, gloves, protection, players

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.