American White Pelican

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2023, 05:19 PM
Default American White Pelican

I saw a dozen or so of these in a pond by Buena Vista and Rainey Trail. With the low water level in the pond, they were having a feast feeding on all the fish. This one was not too keen on having his photo taken, not that I was close or anything. I think he’s giving me the Stink Eye.

That bump that you see on the bill means that it’s breeding season. Both males and females develop one. It falls off after they have mated and laid eggs.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	98021  
Old 04-20-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
I saw a dozen or so of these in a pond by Buena Vista and Rainey Trail. With the low water level in the pond, they were having a feast feeding on all the fish. This one was not too keen on having his photo taken, not that I was close or anything. I think he’s giving me the Stink Eye.

That bump that you see on the bill means that it’s breeding season. Both males and females develop one. It falls off after they have mated and laid eggs.
Beautiful photo and thanks for the interesting facts on pelicans. I'm looking forward to some good rain and filled ponds!
Old 04-22-2023, 07:41 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post

If you have never witnessed it, I hope you will get a chance to watch them do a "cooperative fishing" maneuver. It is truly an amazing thing to witness. I've watched as many as 40 form a perfect circle, wings at full spread separated by only an inch...like humans holding hands. They then begin, en mass, beating their wings against the water surface as they move the circle smaller toward the center. The sound of all those wings pounding the surface really can't be adequately described, and the sight of the cooperation and coordination is stunning. This group maneuver is to move the fish under them toward the center until the are so concentrated they can be easily scooped up. Probability of witnessing this ritual right now is very low, obviously because the fish are already schooling in the middle of ponds in a very concentrated fashion due to the low water level, but if you've never seen it, hope everyone gets a chance to see it sometime in the future.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
If you have never witnessed it, I hope you will get a chance to watch them do a "cooperative fishing" maneuver. It is truly an amazing thing to witness. I've watched as many as 40 form a perfect circle, wings at full spread separated by only an inch...like humans holding hands. They then begin, en mass, beating their wings against the water surface as they move the circle smaller toward the center. The sound of all those wings pounding the surface really can't be adequately described, and the sight of the cooperation and coordination is stunning. This group maneuver is to move the fish under them toward the center until the are so concentrated they can be easily scooped up. Probability of witnessing this ritual right now is very low, obviously because the fish are already schooling in the middle of ponds in a very concentrated fashion due to the low water level, but if you've never seen it, hope everyone gets a chance to see it sometime in the future.
Quite a wonder of how birds came up with this team work.
Closed Thread

Tags
pond, develop, he’s, giving, laid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.