05122021 Sumpter Landing

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2021, 08:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default 05122021 Sumpter Landing

Here are a few from today's walk around Sumter Landing.

I kind of got chased out of where I was doing most of my shooting - it was in the Square where a live music show was going on.

It turns out The Villages doesn't allow photography there, maybe because of a bunch of old people dancing outside - LOL... but, it is private property, so, to avoid a fuss, I left and deleted all the potentially "embarrassing" candid photos.

Most of my shots today were candids of the crowd watching the music, so there aren't many left.

Here are a few I took out by the lake and I left in a few that normally would have been "outtakes" so you get to see what they look like before I edit out some duplicates.

I would be interested in which of the duplicates you all prefer. I know which I would normally have left in, so, let me know your choices.

---
EDITED: The vote is in and the B&W Light House and the Anhinga appear to be the favorites, with the B&W edging out the win. And thank you to those that identified the blackbird sunning itself as an Anhinga, I hope to learn the names of all the birds I photograph. The Lighthouse made me think of The Great Gatsby - and hence the B&W.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 05-13-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Hint, I think the Hibiscus sucks - lol - that is one that would normally have been cut.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:15 PM

Who would tell you to leave? So you cant take pictures on the square, stay on the sidewalk,along the curb thats a rite of way. you can film from there...doesnt seem right there are always people taking video of the groups while on stage...
Old 05-12-2021, 09:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
Who would tell you to leave? So you cant take pictures on the square, stay on the sidewalk,along the curb thats a rite of way. you can film from there...doesnt seem right there are always people taking video of the groups while on stage...
I know, the law is that you can photograph if you are in a public place. The square is private so they could ask me to leave.

The lens I was using was too long for walking around in the square anyway - LOL. I couldn't get far enough away from anyone there. I could have walked across the street and gotten the same shots with that lens. And the law says that if you can see something in a private space from a public space then the person in the private space can not expect to not be photographed.

But, that's okay. The intent was to provide some privacy for the people trying to enjoy themselves, and I respect that. There is enough stress without my adding to it.

There are plenty of places I can photograph, I see no reason to cause a scene.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Hint, I think the Hibiscus sucks - lol - that is one that would normally have been cut.
Interesting....why do you think that one sucks? I really like it. BTW, all your pictures are great.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
Interesting....why do you think that one sucks? I really like it. BTW, all your pictures are great.
Thank you,

The main thing about the hibiscus is that it is not perfect. It has damage along an edge, and the focus is a little off. I wanted the tip of the stigma to be in focus and the entire blossom, but the very tip is slightly soft and the bottom inside is soft.

But, thank you for the compliment, it means a lot to me.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:46 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to chalpm

Wow...your photos are awesome! I especially like those in black and white.Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpm View Post
Wow...your photos are awesome! I especially like those in black and white.Thanks for sharing.
Thank you very much.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:46 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Here are a few from today's walk around Sumter Landing.

I kind of got chased out of where I was doing most of my shooting - it was in the Square where a live music show was going on.

It turns out The Villages doesn't allow photography there, maybe because of a bunch of old people dancing outside - LOL... but, it is private property, so, to avoid a fuss, I left and deleted all the potentially "embarrassing" candid photos.

Most of my shots today were candids of the crowd watching the music, so there aren't meany left.

Here are a few I took out by the lake and I left in a few that normally would have been "outtakes" so you get to see what they look like before I edit out some duplicates.

I would be interested in which of the duplicates you all prefer. I know which I would normally have left in, so, let me know your choices.
Very cool - I really like the look of using B/W for the lighthouse.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:47 AM

Very nice!! Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:08 AM

The light tower, in black and white is really nice.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:09 AM

B&W’s are not my favorite, but the lighthouse pic is stunning!
Old 05-13-2021, 05:28 AM

Love these photos.
Your attitude towards others is refreshing.
I just love the black and white of the lighthouse.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:48 AM

I appreciate your talent. 😀
Old 05-13-2021, 05:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,898 Times in 807 Posts

Nice work. My favorite is the Amhinga (I think) with its feathers sticking up like hair and light on its beak and eye. Well done! Your bird photos made me SEE details about those birds that I hadn’t seen before. That’s high praise.
Closed Thread

Tags
left, landing, music, duplicates, edit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.