Christmas Morning golf

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,026 Times in 1,207 Posts
Default Christmas Morning golf

Lined up at 5:30 to play free golf at Cane Garden Christmas morning.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Copy.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	73242  
Old 12-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Dedication. No wonder they turn the town off at 9 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last time I played free golf was at Bonifay in 2011 when the course was new. I arrived at 7:30 and was #35 in line. Fortunately the first group off was a threesome and they wanted to know if any singles were in line. I got off with the first group. When we finished about 4-1/2 hours later, there was only 2 people in line. That's the key, don't go early. If you're only playing nine holes, don't worry about wave times, certain nines are for constant play. Like at Cane Garden, you can go to Allamanda Nine anytime today and start play, no one is crossing over.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Last time I played free golf was at Bonifay in 2011 when the course was new. I arrived at 7:30 and was #35 in line. Fortunately the first group off was a threesome and they wanted to know if any singles were in line. I got off with the first group. When we finished about 4-1/2 hours later, there was only 2 people in line. That's the key, don't go early. If you're only playing nine holes, don't worry about wave times, certain nines are for constant play. Like at Cane Garden, you can go to Allamanda Nine anytime today and start play, no one is crossing over.
If I were you I would never Golf again. You would have a hard time getting me out of that car. Beautiful, Good luck with it.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Last time I played free golf was at Bonifay in 2011 when the course was new.
The first, and last, time I played free golf was at Evans Prairie was my first Christmas here in 2015. Never, ever again will I play with so many people that do not know how to take care of a golf course.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:45 PM

Today I played at Glenview for the first time on Christmas day. I was shocked to see the number of people that rarely, if ever, play championship courses, lining up to get their free golf. We had golfers swinging and missing, hitting two or three balls on some holes, riding their carts right up to the green, sometimes within inches of the putting surface. They were not filling in divots, raking bunkers or fixing ball marks. One couple even brought their dog along for the round. A twosome we were hooked up with on the front nine quit after 6 holes due to the slow play. We continued as a twosome and when we made the turn, another twosome jumped the line and decided to skip the required format and start on Stirrup Cup instead of Fox or Tally. It took us 5 hours to play the 18 holes, which was at least an hour longer than I am used to playing. I think I will pass on future free golf and let The Villages decide if they want this kind of treatment to continue in the future.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Default Christmas Morning Golf

I played Tierra Del Sol today. Pace of play was slow but it was fun watching people enjoying that little extra Christmas Spirit graciously bestowed upon them by The Villages Golf Santa. Absent were profanity-laced tirades from more "qualified" golfers angry at having a rough day after plopping down hard earned greens fees only to see their handicaps suffer. (I live near a tee box of a Championship Course so I have firsthand experience with these outbursts. Hey I'm no prude and am guilty of using colorful language as well, just not in other people's backyards. It comes with the territory so be it.)

As for the free golf consider it is bringing others into a wonderful sport and pastime. The Villages are run by some pretty smart people always looking for ways to expand their markets and pocketbooks. Personally after playing only Executive Golf I used today as a chance to gauge my readiness before forking it over to play Championship Golf with others forking it over. Anyone good enough to complain about level of play during free golf might forgo free golf day in the future. Of course it is rare that I see anyone around in danger of being asked to join the PGA Tour.

One day a year does no harm and puts plenty of extra smiles on a lot of faces. HO HO HO!!!

Thanks for golf, Tim
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Old 12-26-2017, 05:13 AM

If the golf Administration was smart next year they organize a lottery comparable amount of 18 holes available for foursome, then they do a shot gun start

What they are doing now is spoiling a game of golf for many..but its free
Old 12-26-2017, 07:39 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I am too lazy for free golf at that time of day. I want to enjoy my golf game.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I played Tierra Del Sol today. Pace of play was slow but it was fun watching people enjoying that little extra Christmas Spirit graciously bestowed upon them by The Villages Golf Santa. Absent were profanity-laced tirades from more "qualified" golfers angry at having a rough day after plopping down hard earned greens fees only to see their handicaps suffer. (I live near a tee box of a Championship Course so I have firsthand experience with these outbursts. Hey I'm no prude and am guilty of using colorful language as well, just not in other people's backyards. It comes with the territory so be it.)

As for the free golf consider it is bringing others into a wonderful sport and pastime. The Villages are run by some pretty smart people always looking for ways to expand their markets and pocketbooks. Personally after playing only Executive Golf I used today as a chance to gauge my readiness before forking it over to play Championship Golf with others forking it over. Anyone good enough to complain about level of play during free golf might forgo free golf day in the future. Of course it is rare that I see anyone around in danger of being asked to join the PGA Tour.

One day a year does no harm and puts plenty of extra smiles on a lot of faces. HO HO HO!!!

Thanks for golf, Tim
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Old 12-26-2017, 08:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondel View Post
If the golf Administration was smart next year they organize a lottery comparable amount of 18 holes available for foursome, then they do a shot gun start

What they are doing now is spoiling a game of golf for many..but its free
Maybe those who are so critical that their day is "spoiled" could give up just one day per year for those who are just out for some fun.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I had great entertainment just driving by and seeing the free golf comedy unfold.

Wish the square was open
Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage

We were the 3rd foursome and went out at about 7:50 after arriving at 7:30. There were a lot of unfixed ball marks on the greens but that was clearly from play on previous days. One very nice couple was giving out cookies from their backyard. Overall a very nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
The first, and last, time I played free golf was at Evans Prairie was my first Christmas here in 2015. Never, ever again will I play with so many people that do not know how to take care of a golf course.
Closed Thread

Tags
christmas, golf, morning, free, cane

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.