Fox or coyote

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2022, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Comparing both pictures, the face/head look different, as does body shape, leg and tail. OP, imho, photographed young coyotes. Keep your cats in doors and small dogs on short leash when out and about if you love them.
Adult coyotes have grabbed young human children out of strollers in L.A. Apparently, they lose their fear of humans when not in rural areas and hunted.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thanks, alemorkam, not only for the picture but for bringing up the topic.

As an earlier poster here said — be careful about your pets.

Coyotes are highly intelligent. They have moved into every state and every kind of neighborhood. (Wile E. Coyote made them look stupid. They most certainly are not stupid.)

A few years ago, in TV, there was coverage of pets having been grabbed by coyotes. One of the reports was of a coyote that had to have been in wait, knowing exactly what time a little dog would be let out each night. It was routine. Sounded likely Recon Coyote had it figured out.

Now, if you think that sweet little dog was a victim of coincidence and that coyotes don’t wear watches, think again.

If you have a dog, that dog knows the schedule. Our dog Annie would tell us when it was time for her chewable and, I guess, delicious arthritis medicine. Farm dogs know what time to bring in the cattle.

Coyotes are Canis latrans (means “barking dog” — they are the most vocal ones in the family.) Your pet is Canis familiaras. Same family. But Uncle Coyote is not welcome at your dogs’ social events.

And, right now, it is coyote mating season so they can be really brazen.

Then there will be pups. The male actually hangs around and brings dinner home for a while. (Pets can be a potluck dish for a coyote.)

And so……if you don’t know much about coyotes, you could do a little homework if you want to know more. They are fascinating creatures. . .

Respect their intelligence and their habits. And get your head around learning to live with them because they are everywhere and not going anywhere. (And if there is anybody who is even remotely thinking about feeding them or trying to bring them in closer — that person needs to get a grip on reality.)

And please, please, don’t start in talking about shooting coyotes. (That happened here in an old thread about coyotes — but it was just the usual talk — it never happened for real — that I know of.)

Just what we need, some trigger-happy, Wannabe Dead-Eye Dick Villager with a brand new gun, trying to pick off a coyote between houses. Geez. . .

And, besides, that would not be good for property values. Nobody wants to buy a house in The Village of Ricochet.

Beep-Beep Boomer
"like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind". Just a good one as a suggestion, but everyone should pick their own according to their personalities.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Agree, and crows aren’t stupid either.
True. Many scientists believe that crows are the smartest and most social birds.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:39 PM

Coyotes are safe. I go out in the fields at night when I hear dozens of them barking to each other.

"Coyote attacks on people are very rare. More people are killed by errant golf balls and flying champagne corks each year than are <b>bitten</b> by coyotes". Only bitten - not killed.

Coyotes and people: What to know if you see or encounter a coyote | The Humane Society of the United States

I'm more worried about surprising a trash panda. Raccoons and I have come unexpectedly nose-to-nose on several occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I was running in a nature reserve area of a dense metropolitan area (Upper back bay, Newport Beach, CA) when I happened upon a lady walking two Labrador retrievers. One was being chased in circles around a large shrub / small tree on the ivy-covered slope of some millionaire's backyard.

That a coyote would take on an animal as big as a retriever while within 10 feet of not only another but the owner shows their boldness.

I stopped to assist and chucked a few rocks at the coyote. It begrudgingly sauntered (not easily deterred) off, but it stopped every 50 feet or so and looked back to see if it was out of my throwing arm's range or if it could go back to getting its Labrador for breakfast.

It is not just small pets one should worry about, it is also small children. Additionally, don't think your presence nearby will deter the coyote from taking either from you.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by triflex View Post
Pet owners should probably keep in mind that the wildlife is of much greater meaning to non-pet-owners and even many pet owners. We want the wildlife around and as close as nature allows.

Also, cats are the Snickers bar of nature.

No one should accuse someone of feeding wildlife when they themselves let a cat or small dog become fodder for wildlife. Cats are also notorious wildlife killers.
Feeding wildlife should be outlawed. Both small birds and large geese and etc. LOVE bread, but it can get stuck in their throat (craw) ? Hunters should NOT be allowed to feed deer and bear and etc - that is BIG-TIME cheating. And tree stands for hunters should be outlawed because deer have ZERO natural enemies above them so they are helpless. REAL MEN (and women) and REAL HUNTERS practice "fair chase" and stay on the ground and do NOT do "cheap shots" like BAITING wildlife until they are REALLY "domestic life" animals. Show some sportsmanship for a change!
Old 01-10-2022, 12:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanbrands View Post
If you have a small dog and coyotes are nearby it could be wise to purchase a coyote vest for your dog. My friend & her husband invented them after a coyote came and snatched her dog from her as they were loading the dog into the car in Cali. Coyotes can be cunning, dangerous and quick. Nothing to mess with if you have a small fur baby. Just a suggestion if you have coyotes roaming nearby.
How does the vest work? Is it bite-proof? Electric....I doubt. Has some special smell that is a deterrence? Has an automatic rail gun (Oh I have been watching too many "Expanse" episodes). Sorry!
Old 01-10-2022, 12:48 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Bellavita;2048100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
A pair of young animals

does it matter? Both are carnivores

each can get a cat. A fox is small coyote like a German shepherd on the thin size can and will eat a small dog. With the expansion and growth many animals have nowhere to go. They will live where they can to survive
I could be wrong, but I believe that foxes are on the timid side and much, much smaller than a coyote.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=jimjamuser;2048233]"like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind".

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the ... ?
Old 01-10-2022, 01:05 PM

No one has said they are feeding the wildlife in this thread. Unless they indicated they leave their pets free-roaming. THAT IS feeding the wildlife - YOUR PET.

Hunters actually use deer as a food source. So, I personally don't care about making up the odds for deer even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Feeding wildlife should be outlawed. Both small birds and large geese and etc. LOVE bread, but it can get stuck in their throat (craw) ? Hunters should NOT be allowed to feed deer and bear and etc - that is BIG-TIME cheating. And tree stands for hunters should be outlawed because deer have ZERO natural enemies above them so they are helpless. REAL MEN (and women) and REAL HUNTERS practice "fair chase" and stay on the ground and do NOT do "cheap shots" like BAITING wildlife until they are REALLY "domestic life" animals. Show some sportsmanship for a change!

Last edited by triflex; 01-10-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:09 PM

Here's a Florida Panter/Cougar eating a cat: Panther Cougar attacks and later kills a cat right on the front porch in South Florid - YouTube

The guilty feeders of wildlife are usually pet owners.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

[QUOTE=Wyseguy;2048247]
Quote:
"like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind".

"Days of your Life"?

Whoa, mixing metaphors...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-10-2022, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I was running in a nature reserve area of a dense metropolitan area (Upper back bay, Newport Beach, CA) when I happened upon a lady walking two Labrador retrievers. One was being chased in circles around a large shrub / small tree on the ivy-covered slope of some millionaire's backyard.

That a coyote would take on an animal as big as a retriever while within 10 feet of not only another but the owner shows their boldness.

I stopped to assist and chucked a few rocks at the coyote. It begrudgingly sauntered (not easily deterred) off, but it stopped every 50 feet or so and looked back to see if it was out of my throwing arm's range or if it could go back to getting its Labrador for breakfast.

It is not just small pets one should worry about, it is also small children. Additionally, don't think your presence nearby will deter the coyote from taking either from you.
Agreed....about the small children.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:59 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Wyseguy;2048247]
Quote:
"like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind".

Good one!
Old 01-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
No one has said they are feeding the wildlife in this thread. Unless they indicated they leave their pets free-roaming. THAT IS feeding the wildlife - YOUR PET.

Hunters actually use deer as a food source. So, I personally don't care about making up the odds for deer even.
Someone on page 1 talked about feeding wildlife. I quoted the message.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:

Most hunters are hunting for sport and trophies. If you valued the deer meat...... versus the time spent in the woods hunting....then the hunters would be making about 25 cents per hour. In most eastern thick woods situations, most hunters go several years without bagging a deer. Most walk too fast and can't sit still. The baiting and tree stand method is cheating and IS more effective if they have no regard for sportsmanship and "fair chase" methods.
Closed Thread

Tags
fox, coyote, pair, young, animals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.