MGb restoration car

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ
Default MGb restoration car

In preparation for retirement I have started to restore a MGb sports car for use at TV.

Here are the before pictures I will get some more as the restoration progresses. Hopefully the final result with be a concourse quality vehicle.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...php?albumid=74

Last edited by MelZ; 12-12-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Mel
Looks like a great project . I had a 1963 MGB (last year with chrome bumpers) and had a lot of fun with it ......Did have some problems keeping it running ,
You might want to keep in mind that they have a Luca's electrical system in them which is the reason that the English drink warm beer...

unrefrigerated fumar .....
Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM

I was hoping to see an MGA, but a B is a nice car also. I've owned an A and a Midget in my time, not too much better than just drivers but fun non the less. Have fun with your project and hope to see you driving it some day.

"When you're right you can afford to keep your temper and when you're wrong you can't afford to loose it"
Old 12-11-2008, 02:42 PM

I see you brought your car to Leyland's in Kennebunk. We have taken my wife's 1968 Healy Sprite there for repairs. I will have to put a pic in for you to see. Ours is not be concourse level, I did most of the repairs on my own. At one time it had a furry interior..... I made the mistake of going to a local pizza place that was having an old cars night. That winter I replaced the fur (shades of the 70-80's) with the original interior and restored the engine bay. She is the second owner of the Sprite having bought it in 1970. The mileage is 75-76k and is only driven on sunny days. We drive it about 150-200 miles a year. Have to put lead into the gas....

The license plate reads "IMNOMGT" Unless you have seen a sprite and a midget of the late 60's you might not get the meaning.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I must admit that I too had a MIDGET at one time but was having trouble getting into it so I had to make a decision , Do I diet and keep it or just find a bigger car , thus the MGB ..........

well rounded fumar ....
Old 12-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Mel
Looks like a great project . I had a 1963 MGB (last year with chrome bumpers) and had a lot of fun with it ......Did have some problems keeping it running ,
You might want to keep in mind that they have a Luca's electrical system in them which is the reason that the English drink warm beer...

unrefrigerated fumar .....

You know what they used to call the CEO of British Leland Motors?

The Prince of Darkness

And I will vouch for that!! Had a love/hate relationship with a TR-7 in my youth.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

What does concourse quality mean?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 PM

It basically means that it will be in the same condition as when it came off the showroom floor. All numbers will match and it will be a 30+ year old car that looks brand new.....
Old 12-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

This is going to be a frame off restoration, I have a buddy who restores english sportscars who is advising me. He has about a dozen cars (MG's,Jag's and Triumphs) in various states of restoration. I fell in love with a fully restored red MGTD he is selling but the MGB is a better car for show and leisure driving.

I for one have never been able to collect toys and not play with them.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
This is going to be a frame off restoration, I have a buddy who restores english sportscars who is advising me. He has about a dozen cars (MG's,Jag's and Triumphs) in various states of restoration. I fell in love with a fully restored red MGTD he is selling but the MGB is a better car for show and leisure driving.

I for one have never been able to collect toys and not play with them.

I agree with you about "play" with them. Collecting is for those who want to say "see what I've got" and playing is for those of us that want to personally enjoy driving them. The MGA I bought in 1967 cost me a whole $300 and would be worth $30k plus if restored, but I had so much fun with it that I wouldn't trade driving the h*ll out of it, for just looking at, it for anything.

"When you're right you can afford to keep your temper and when you're wrong you can't afford to loose it"
Old 12-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

I was torn between a MGA and the MGB, I love the lines on the A. My friend who has a couple of MGA's convinced me that the Later MGB is just as much fun and a easier car to keep operational.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Mel Z how did you find Leylands in Arundel? We live about 10 miles away... If you want me to go look at it sometime let me know.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Larry:

A old fried of my has been using Eric to restore cars for years. He currently has a beatiful red MGTD at Eric's. He has had Eric restore a couple of TD's a Jag, and who knows what else. Thanks for the offer, I'm down at TV till after the holidays. I get up to Boston once a month for a few days and my buddy and I (who is also a client of mine) visit Eric and the car in the afternoon and have a lobster dinner before driving back to Boston.

Mel
Old 12-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Thumbs up

Not a problem Mel. Like I said our Sprite is not showroom quality, but it is fun to drive. Kind of creepy when you go by semi's (thats if you can) on the highway and can you look right under the bottom of the trailer....

We also have a 98 BMW Z3 that we take out a lot more. Maybe we can start an old english sports car club when we get to the villages.

The offer still stands, if you ever need someone to go see Eric in an emergency I am here.

Larry
Old 12-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Veteran member

Larry:

I apprecaite the offer, English car club sounds like a good idea.

Cheers

Mel

Happy New Year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.