Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Person to person spread here of virus here (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/person-person-spread-here-virus-here-304520/)

Rickg 03-28-2020 06:53 PM

Person to person spread here of virus here

1 Attachment(s)
5 community spread cases in The Villages.

DianeM 03-28-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1735584)

Not sure what that means. 5 neighbors insisted on a driveway party and now they’re sick? I truly don’t know that expression.

Rickg 03-28-2020 07:35 PM

It means it was passed locally not from travel etc.

DianeM 03-28-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1735603)

Thank you

EdFNJ 03-28-2020 09:30 PM

These are probably the people that think: "I Know all my friends so therefore I can't get it."

They should be asked: DO you know where and when your friends shop or where they get gas or how many people they walked by in those places or what they touched? I hear this all the time. My sister said the same thing to me. We're brother and sister. SO WHAT? You just went to Marion Market. Stay away from me for 2 weeks!

billethkid 03-28-2020 10:12 PM

The folks who were, again, crowding Lake Sumter Square this evening....no parking spaces on the square.....tables and chairs and tail gating all around the square and filled the area where the radio station and covered picnic tables.....absolutely no social distancing anywhere.

No different than the pictures of all the young people on the beaches for spring break.....except older...BUT NOT ANY SMARTER!!

As a result of the few we need a stay at home 'ORDER" with enforcement and stiff fines.

Love2Swim 03-29-2020 03:59 AM

The Florida Surgeon General issued an emergency order urging residents over the age of 65 to remain in their residence to contain the spread of the virus, except for essential activities. You wouldn't know it looking at the people out and about in The Villages.

Koapaka 03-29-2020 04:57 AM

Reminds me of the old mantra we used in the Philippines in the 80's telling Airman, just remember, when you sleep with her you sleep with with everyone she has slept with and everyone they have slept with....

Maryland04 03-29-2020 05:05 AM

You did not say if this sickness it test verified or was it bad food?

melcirullo@sbcglobal.net 03-29-2020 05:17 AM

Quote:

This is like the old commercial, I'll tell 2 people and there'll tell 2 people and so on.
And does it really matter how you came in contact? NO. but you did!!
Don't be oblivious to this VIRUS, its for real.

villageuser 03-29-2020 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryland04 (Post 1735692)
You did not say if this sickness it test verified or was it bad food?

If the Dept of Health reports it, you can safely assume it has been tested verified.

tsmall22204 03-29-2020 05:23 AM

You would think that with age comes wisdom, not true in the villages. These old timers can give advice but do not follow what they say.

Sandy and Ed 03-29-2020 05:30 AM

Stop broadcasting radio over loudspeaker!!!

Simple!?!? Just don’t supply the music at the squares via radio station AND enhance rules to prevent use of loud personal radios in common areas such as the squares??

davem4616 03-29-2020 05:34 AM

"What me worry?"....that slogan from MAD Magazine apparently has become the life motto for way too many folks in TV

swede1128 03-29-2020 05:41 AM

Where can the original (complete) article be found

JackRussell 03-29-2020 05:42 AM

As a former UPI reporter I gave this article a D- minus. Community Spread is not defined by the writer, yet it's a key descriptor in the headline. Even the suggestion of its plain meaning, that the Community is seeing the virus advance because of something the community shouldn't be doing - is unsubstantiated.

"A serious outbreak inside the community could have devastating effects. Most who show symptoms from the virus develop a fever or cough and may have trouble breathing, though they do recover."

Consider this two-sentence paragraph. Couldn't the first sentence be said of any community? This has nothing pertinent to offer readers with an interest specific to The Villages.

"Prior to the opening of the testing site, The Villages slowly began to shut down its expansive social scene. That’s after the community — which leans Republican — had sought to downplay the virus’s affects as President Donald Trump repeatedly expressed confidence the virus would be contained inside the U.S."

First, it's effects, not affects. This writer has a law degree, which made me marvel not only at his spelling, but also at his assertion that the community had sought to downplay the "virus's affects" (sic). In my opinion, his statement is invidious and made without any substantiation. His additional reference to politics (apparently the real cause of the spread of infection) is another irrelevant injection in what purported to be a story about disease. And when did the president ever state that the virus would be contained within the US? Let me be clear, the Wuhan virus started in...where was it?...oh, yeah, Wuhan. How can it be contained in the US?

I know, he means something else. But that's why E.B. White said you should re-read your own work, because while you think you may have said what you meant, chances are very good you haven't.

He also uses a couple propaganda devices to take a swipe at the president. One is "Authority". He quotes a nurse (a healthcare authority) but he doesn't quote her on healthcare. He quotes her on politics to leverage her authority into an area it doesn't apply. He uses her to spread the false claim that people (Trump has been the one accused of this) have called the virus a hoax. Here is what he said:

"One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax that was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.” (DJT 2/28/20)

Finally, he uses her comment on the awakening of the community as though this one person has her finger on The Villages pulse. That's just bad judgment. Maybe D-minus is generous.

TexaninVA 03-29-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

I went walking last night. Saw two neighborhood parties.

One was fine. About six couples side by side but distanced at least 10 feet apart spread over two driveways and part of the street.

Then, later in my walk, saw another party with maybe 10-15 people all on the same driveway but only a few feet apart. Some people still don't get it.

This implies a Darwinian selection may be going on over the next few weeks.

Skunky1 03-29-2020 06:07 AM

What can you expect from a pig but a grunt. As long as these adult children act stupid we will be in this for a long time.

ladyarwen3 03-29-2020 06:10 AM

It's a shame that we need to be "ordered" to stay put.

seoulbrooks 03-29-2020 06:17 AM

Good stuff from "JackRussell." Thank you.

TexaninVA 03-29-2020 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackRussell (Post 1735719)
As a former UPI reporter I gave this article a D- minus. Community Spread is not defined by the writer, yet it's a key descriptor in the headline. Even the suggestion of its plain meaning, that the Community is seeing the virus advance because of something the community shouldn't be doing - is unsubstantiated.

"A serious outbreak inside the community could have devastating effects. Most who show symptoms from the virus develop a fever or cough and may have trouble breathing, though they do recover."

Consider this two-sentence paragraph. Couldn't the first sentence be said of any community? This has nothing pertinent to offer readers with an interest specific to The Villages.

"Prior to the opening of the testing site, The Villages slowly began to shut down its expansive social scene. That’s after the community — which leans Republican — had sought to downplay the virus’s affects as President Donald Trump repeatedly expressed confidence the virus would be contained inside the U.S."

First, it's effects, not affects. This writer has a law degree, which made me marvel not only at his spelling, but also at his assertion that the community had sought to downplay the "virus's affects" (sic). In my opinion, his statement is invidious and made without any substantiation. His additional reference to politics (apparently the real cause of the spread of infection) is another irrelevant injection in what purported to be a story about disease. And when did the president ever state that the virus would be contained within the US? Let me be clear, the Wuhan virus started in...where was it?...oh, yeah, Wuhan. How can it be contained in the US?

I know, he means something else. But that's why E.B. White said you should re-read your own work, because while you think you may have said what you meant, chances are very good you haven't.

He also uses a couple propaganda devices to take a swipe at the president. One is "Authority". He quotes a nurse (a healthcare authority) but he doesn't quote her on healthcare. He quotes her on politics to leverage her authority into an area it doesn't apply. He uses her to spread the false claim that people (Trump has been the one accused of this) have called the virus a hoax. Here is what he said:

"One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax that was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.” (DJT 2/28/20)

Finally, he uses her comment on the awakening of the community as though this one person has her finger on The Villages pulse. That's just bad judgment. Maybe D-minus is generous.

Excellent analysis, really top notch. Thanks.

JudyLife 03-29-2020 06:36 AM

Cannot for the life of me understand how people are not realising & accepting the sad fact that just because they’re in TV that they are somehow magically immune!!! You’re NOT!!

MOMOH 03-29-2020 06:50 AM

Because The Villages is described as an "extended spring break for adults" these people are believing that it's true, and acting like the morons who crowded the beaches because they didn't want to miss out. Go for it, people! Party on! You'll find out soon enough that you should have paid attention when you had the chance.

Travelhunter 03-29-2020 06:51 AM

Professor Russell
Thank you for the lesson
I read your analysis three times and learned a few things
Keep writing

crash 03-29-2020 06:53 AM

It was test verified they have the virus not food poisoning.

Texased 03-29-2020 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love2Swim (Post 1735688)
The Florida Surgeon General issued an emergency order urging residents over the age of 65 to remain in their residence to contain the spread of the virus, except for essential activities. You wouldn't know it looking at the people out and about in The Villages.

You can't fix STUPID :ohdear:

bmit16 03-29-2020 07:08 AM

The CDC is now saying that over a million Americans could have had the China Virus prior to February back into November due to the number of Chinese people traveling here, however it was either undiagnosed because it was not severe or it was misdiagnosed as the common flu which has killed 10 times more people. Pandemic or fear pushing by the media. I know one thing, it is like the flu in this way and we don't shut the country down. You are probably going to get it in someway, some will die, some will never know they have it and most will deal with it for 10 days and go on with their lives. Just like the flu. So get over the hysteria, people get sick in life, people die. If not by corona virus, then by any one of a million other illnesses.

jacksonbrown 03-29-2020 07:13 AM

I enjoy a well written, syntactically correct article.

Thanks JackRussell.

USA2170 03-29-2020 07:19 AM

A perfect response to a failed article..D-..your being way to polite..Given F.

toeser 03-29-2020 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love2Swim (Post 1735688)

There is no problem being "out and about" if you avoid getting near other people. I certainly don't wish to be trapped in my house for the next several months. I am outside walking, on my bike, or in my golf cart at least three hours per day. But, I make sure I pass no closer than six feet from anyone. If I see four people walking abreast on a multi-modal trail, I simply walk off until they pass.

A disaster waiting to happen is take-out food. I tried that once, but never again. Too many people were getting way too close and all using the same pens, folders for bills, etc.

arbajeda 03-29-2020 07:31 AM

The OP only has a JPEG picture of the beginning of an article. How about posting a link to the actual article so we can read it and draw our own conclusions instead of parroting the misinformation that seems so prevalent on this topic.

Chatbrat 03-29-2020 07:31 AM

After looking @ the photos in todays paper--and seeing the families and friends who have gotten together, and traveled to & from all of the US its no longer a question if we will have person to person spread here, its when--the growth in Fl is exponential--stay home and my guess we're going to be in our houses for way past Easter

Rzepecki 03-29-2020 07:31 AM

Coronavirus community spread identified in The Villages
I did a Google search and found the article. Here’s the link.

Klatu 03-29-2020 07:31 AM

Rule of thumb if you want to be safe: avoid getting near folks, keep your distance, even with your "best friend" you have known since grade school. He or she may have picked up the virus an hour ago and has no way of knowing. Assume everyone is a carrier and anything you bring in your house is infected. Better safe than sorry for a few months.

Topspinmo 03-29-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1735603)

Which means they didn’t follow the guidelines and somebody was infected

Topspinmo 03-29-2020 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1735677)
The folks who were, again, crowding Lake Sumter Square this evening....no parking spaces on the square.....tables and chairs and tail gating all around the square and filled the area where the radio station and covered picnic tables.....absolutely no social distancing anywhere.

No different than the pictures of all the young people on the beaches for spring break.....except older...BUT NOT ANY SMARTER!!

As a result of the few we need a stay at home 'ORDER" with enforcement and stiff fines.

They need to turn the speakers off that broadcasting they music also.

Drdoug49 03-29-2020 07:45 AM

What me worry

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem4616 (Post 1735708)
"What me worry?"....that slogan from MAD Magazine apparently has become the life motto for way too many folks in TV

The elderly here continue to ignore social distancing, thinking they know their friends , so their safe
When the first tv residents die form the virus , it will be too late. Thoughts and pray for the virus deniers who watch Fox

champion6 03-29-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzepecki (Post 1735829)
Coronavirus community spread identified in The Villages
I did a Google search and found the article. Here’s the link.

The article above refers to another article written one day earlier: Coronavirus spreading in The Villages

Both articles refer to "a 250-bed mobile hospital from the Florida Division of Emergency Services" that is located in The Villages. Where exactly is it located?

maryl 03-29-2020 07:51 AM

Villages should enforce the rules no sitting in square it’s close or you will be fined

maryl 03-29-2020 07:56 AM

They should be ashamed of themselves and fined