Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   WHAT? Now "DIXIE" is a BAD/RACIST WORD? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/what-now-dixie-bad-racist-word-308263/)

DeanFL 06-26-2020 07:08 AM

WHAT? Now "DIXIE" is a BAD/RACIST WORD?

Really? When will this stuff end? What would this solve? Who would pay for re-branding etc? Are you as tired of this as I am???

WINN-DIXIE SUPERMARKETS
CONSIDER CHANGING 95-YEAR-OLD NAME ...
After George Floyd's Death

One of the largest supermarket chains based in the Southeast is considering dropping its name after nearly 100 years ... a move triggered by the death of George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement.

Sources at Winn-Dixie tell TMZ ... the supermarket chain -- billed as a southern heritage brand serving Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi -- is considering changing its name because, just like The Chicks, it deems the term "Dixie" as problematic due to ties to the old south and its way of thinking.

The Dixie Chicks Changed Their Name Because The Word 'Dixie' Is Problematic
They're now simply "The Chicks."

Access Denied
TMZ report: Winn-Dixie considering new name | Jax Daily Record | Jacksonville Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida

dewilson58 06-26-2020 07:09 AM

:ohdear:

davem4616 06-26-2020 07:10 AM

ya had to know that this was coming....

billethkid 06-26-2020 07:27 AM

Unfortunately not a new "thing".

Last year, Dolly Parton's theme park called Dixie Stampede was changed to Dolly Parton's Stampeded because it was supposedly insensitive to some.

I would have never ever have guessed she would succumb to such minority and special interest complaining.

The majority loses another one....and will be ongoing as long as we continue to allow it!!!!

Stu from NYC 06-26-2020 07:56 AM

This is getting more absurd by the day

JP 06-26-2020 08:05 AM

Just downright ridiculous. Stop the madness!!!

coffeebean 06-26-2020 08:12 AM

I said this in another thread but I have no idea which thread it was.......

What about Dixie Land music? Is that name going to be changed? This is getting beyond ridiculous!

JoelJohnson 06-26-2020 08:17 AM

250 years of oppression, I can't imagine why it's offensive. (since people can't tell, I'm being sarcastic!)

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-26-2020 09:03 AM

Well to the surprise of almost no one, the TMZ article was incorrect (aka fake news). According to the chain's spokesman Joe Caldwell, they have no plans to change their name and hadn't been considering it. He did say his company is supported of BLM, and against racism, and would always serve the needs of its communities. So it seems that he's left it open to possibility even though right now it's not on the table for consideration.

Also he reminded everyone that the name of the company is Southeastern Groceries. So that sort of leaves it open for the possibility that they'll just drop the Winn-Dixie part completely and go with SE Groceries, since everyone who shops there already is familiar with that as their label for all their store-brand products anyway.

LuckyS 06-26-2020 10:07 AM

Guess plantation and master will be next

brianherlihy 06-26-2020 10:10 AM

i think we all stop it now

wisbad1 06-26-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1792299)
I said this in another thread but I have no idea which thread it was.......

What about Dixie Land music? Is that name going to be changed? This is getting beyond ridiculous!

Dixie cup?

fdpaq0580 06-26-2020 10:15 AM

Dear Guest.?.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest
250 years of oppression, I can't imagine why it's offensive. (since people can't tell, I'm being sarcastic!)

Dear Guest,
First, I do understand your sarcasm.
Second, I do understand that some individuals could find "Dixie" offensive.
Third, taking both first and second responses into consideration, I do still believe that, in some cases, the removal of certain words because someone finds them offensive could eventually, if taken to excess, limit discourse that is necessary.
I have known girls/women who were named "Dixie". Think of how greatly demanding they change their names, names given by loving parents, might offend them, their family's and friends. How does this add positively to the much needed conversation. And, this is only one of the many examples that could be shown.
As for the "250 years of oppression", there is no denying that injustice is a sad stain on the fabric of our nation's history. It has left a scar on us all. But it is time to look up from that scar and focus on the future and acknowledge the positive advancements since those times and look forward to a better and brighter future.
Living with hate, dwelling on the past and continually picking at the scar of past injustices will only reopen old wounds and aggravate all sides.
Are things not better today than in those old days? Have things not changed? I think so, but I also believe there is much left to do.
So, do you want to work together to improve things for all? Or do you want to continue living with anger because you can't let go othe ugly past and squabble over details like the name "Dixie"?
I choose a peaceful future together.

mamamia54 06-26-2020 10:22 AM

Oh no, please not Dixie Cups. What will I tell my husband. Honey, would you like me to get you more Dixie Cups. Oh wait, I mean that no name cup with vanilla and chocolate, oh wait, not chocolate. The cup with the vanilla and darker vanilla ice cream next to it. Oh wait, darker is not politically correct either. Honey, I think you better switch to creamsicles!

Stu from NYC 06-26-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamia54 (Post 1792395)
Oh no, please not Dixie Cups. What will I tell my husband. Honey, would you like me to get you more Dixie Cups. Oh wait, I mean that no name cup with vanilla and chocolate, oh wait, not chocolate. The cup with the vanilla and darker vanilla ice cream next to it. Oh wait, darker is not politically correct either. Honey, I think you better switch to creamsicles!

I do not remember why but think creamsicles are inherently racist.