Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Clubs of the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/clubs-villages-76/)
-   -   Should Earthlings travel to and inhabit Mars? A discussion. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/clubs-villages-76/should-earthlings-travel-inhabit-mars-discussion-348060/)

MacScuba 02-26-2024 02:24 PM

Should Earthlings travel to and inhabit Mars? A discussion.

Jim Laurent will discuss travel to and habitation of the planet Mars and discuss the question of should this be undertaken.

Our regular room at Everglades is unavailable due to prep for early primary voting.
We will meet Tuesday March 5th and Riverbend Rec Center at 1:00PM
Riverbend Rec Center is at 1833 Corbin Trail, The Villages, FL, 33585 Only about a mile southeast of Everglades Rec Center.

Brought to you by The Villages Science and Technology Club - South. Open to all Villagers and guests. You will need your Villages (or Guest) ID card to enter. No club "membership" required.

VApeople 02-26-2024 06:38 PM

No, I think Mars is very nice just as it is.

Those of us who love Mars don't want humans to move in and screw it up like they did to poor old Earth.

Skip our beautiful planet and give Jupiter a try. I never liked that bossy big planet anyway.

jebartle 02-26-2024 06:45 PM

Loooooooong way off, it took 50 years to land on moon AGAIN!

BrianL99 02-26-2024 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacScuba (Post 2305397)
Jim Laurent will discuss travel to and habitation of the planet Mars and discuss the question of should this be undertaken.

Our regular room at Everglades is unavailable due to prep for early primary voting.
We will meet Tuesday March 5th and Riverbend Rec Center at 1:00PM
Riverbend Rec Center is at 1833 Corbin Trail, The Villages, FL, 33585 Only about a mile southeast of Everglades Rec Center.

Brought to you by The Villages Science and Technology Club - South. Open to all Villagers and guests. You will need your Villages (or Guest) ID card to enter. No club "membership" required.

It's fairly obvious that The Villages will run out of expansion land eventually and Mars may offer a viable alternative. As it is, many people I've met here, seem to have come from there (Mars).

CoachKandSportsguy 02-26-2024 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 2305441)
No, I think Mars is very nice just as it is.

Those of us who love Mars don't want humans to move in and screw it up like they did to poor old Earth.

Skip our beautiful planet and give Jupiter a try. I never liked that bossy big planet anyway.

:mademyday::bigbow:

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-26-2024 07:22 PM

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact, it's cold as hell. And there's no one there to raise them, if you did.

Hape2Bhr 02-26-2024 07:27 PM

Aren't we originally from Mars anyway. Of course, after the trip from the Pleiades earlier.

shaw8700@outlook.com 02-26-2024 08:52 PM

There’s no way people are going go to Mars, not now or ever.

MrFlorida 02-26-2024 08:55 PM

I'm sure the Morse family already owns land there.

golfing eagles 02-26-2024 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com (Post 2305455)
There’s no way people are going go to Mars, not now or ever.

Huh? Is there a basis for that assertion or are you just floating it out there?

BigDawgInLakeDenham 02-26-2024 09:20 PM

Initial thoughts

1. Mars bars are inferior while everything Hershey's is worth traveling to

2. I would pay good money to go deep into the resistance underground just to see Quado pop out that dudes belly

3. MARS has no amenities or golf in the southern areas except for a butcher that charges $58 a pound for a decent steak and has Marsy Bingo on a Monday night

Velvet 02-26-2024 09:49 PM

I think Mars might be interesting to visit as a tourist but until they developed some winter sports there or something, I don’t see much attraction.

villagetinker 02-26-2024 10:03 PM

Marvin (the Martian) has specifically requested NO visitors. I also understand his space modulator has been revamped to track intruders. I have this on good advice from Bugs Bunny.

manaboutown 02-26-2024 10:43 PM

Unless we become a space going race we die when the sun expires.

BigDawgInLakeDenham 02-26-2024 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 2305475)
Unless we become a space going race we die when the sun expires.

You're way beyond these folks mind capabilities. Keep it to like...everything is OK, kinda responses. They all believe that they can control the weather and that all orbits don't decay...sad and frustrating