David Feherty to LIV golf “for the money”

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2022, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
The LIV did not ban players from PGAT but the PGAT banned players from LIV, so tell me again who has a vendetta?
I like the shotgun starts, no commercials and the whole team format, it's something new and different, golf has gotten a little stale.
No one person gets to decide what is and what isn't good for golf. Let the viewers decide.
Please tell me you didn't really post that. Please.

On the other hand, if they did ban PGA players, they'd be running the golf channel AM Tour---and I could collect 128K for last place
Old 08-12-2022, 06:39 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

Agree, I love the formats
Old 08-12-2022, 06:42 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

but fitly rich, who cares then?
Old 08-12-2022, 07:05 AM

We are only a handful of defections away from all the top players joining the LIV. It's like the Harlem Globetrotters with the LIV just touring around with exhibition golf. No idea where all this will lead but not sure I'll be happy watching PGA events with second string players - no disrespect to them.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:13 AM

Really? Take golf put of it and make in yoir old job. A new company starys and offers you 2-5x the money and 25% fewer hours. Loyality would not be my #1 thought, will the new company be around 10-20 years. Think back to the old NFL vs AFL or NBA vs ABA players that jumped were not given a lifetime ban.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by terenceanne View Post
We are only a handful of defections away from all the top players joining the LIV. It's like the Harlem Globetrotters with the LIV just touring around with exhibition golf. No idea where all this will lead but not sure I'll be happy watching PGA events with second string players - no disrespect to them.
Here are the top 20 of OWGR:

United States
Scottie Scheffler
Australia
Cameron Smith
Northern Ireland
Rory McIlroy
United States
Patrick Cantlay
United States
Xander Schauffele
Spain
Jon Rahm
United States
Justin Thomas
United States
Collin Morikawa
Norway
Viktor Hovland
England
Matt Fitzpatrick
United States
Sam Burns
United States
Jordan Spieth
United States
Tony Finau
United States
Will Zalatoris
United States
Billy Horschel
Japan
Hideki Matsuyama
United States
Cameron Young
United States
Dustin Johnson
Chile
Joaquin Niemann
South Korea
Sungjae Im

Only DJ is in the top 20 and defected, with Cam Smith stating he is going to.

Care to revise your statement?

Full listing, as of 8/2 here

Who is playing LIV Golf? Updated list of PGA Tour defectors includes Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, others | Sporting News
Old 08-12-2022, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

To me, this whole LIV vs PGA thing smacks of what society has morphed into over the past decades: Guaranteed outcomes vs guaranteed opportunities...or, "everyone gets a trophy." It is hard enough to get a PGA Tour card in the first place, let alone win on the tour. On the PGA Tour, a golfer has the opportunity to compete against the world's best golfers, and the chance to win on a big stage. There are, however, no guarantees. Very few rise to the top and stay there, just like any professional sport. This is the very nature of competition at a high level.

When you strip that away for a guaranteed outcome, what is to become of the competition itself? Will golfers on the LIV Tour lose the motivation to continually work on their game and improve, or just show up for the money? How many who have signed on with LIV made more money on Day 1 than they had over their entire career?

I suspect the Saudis could continue to fund the LIV Tour for a very long time, but will they? Once they figure out that sportswashing really doesn't work, and they continue to lose money, what will they do? How will the PGA handle ex-pat golfers who acted like spoiled children who didn't get the Porsche for Christmas? The entertainment will come not from the golf itself, but how these two tours duke it out over time. Get your popcorn, sit back, and enjoy the show.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:05 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

[QUOTE=Tvflguy;2124788]Finally a mover to LIV is straightforward and honest. Link to article below. And good for him being very open regarding the “Woke” stuff that is handcuffing so many these days. Personally I will miss him on the pro golf microphone. But not as much as Nick Faldo.

You do know Woke means sensisitive to others - is that bad??
Old 08-12-2022, 08:05 AM

So if the Afghans, North Korea or Cuba start a golf league, everyone would be okay with golfers and sports casters who proclaim to love their country(or adopted country), wear flags, support the military and everything it stands for, to play in that tour just for the money!!! Also how much money do a lot of these guys need? Mickelson estimate $800 million, Garcia $43 million in their golf career. As far as playing in anything other than LIV exhibition golf, they made a choice, liv(HA HA) with your choice and go away with your salary for goofing off with your buds for 3 days of booze and rock and roll. Pretty good life but some have integrity and understand what this country stands for, hard work and being the best.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:09 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=gatorbill1;2125086]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Finally a mover to LIV is straightforward and honest. Link to article below. And good for him being very open regarding the “Woke” stuff that is handcuffing so many these days. Personally I will miss him on the pro golf microphone. But not as much as Nick Faldo.

You do know Woke means sensisitive to others - is that bad??
If that was what it really meant, that would be great

Unfortunately.......
Old 08-12-2022, 08:38 AM
Default Pro Golfers Going to LIV BECAUSE they are Celebrities

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But apparently no sense of loyalty to the tour that made him famous
LIV is inviting pro-golfers BECAUSE they gained celebrity status on the PGA Tour. That is why they are paying them so much money. Most of the pro's moving to LIV are 'past their prime' and not particularly competitive on the PGA tour. Since you have to make the cut, then play well to earn big buck$ on the PGA tour, those moving to LIV are doing so for the MONEY. That should be obvious.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
So if the Afghans, North Korea or Cuba start a golf league, everyone would be okay with golfers and sports casters who proclaim to love their country(or adopted country), wear flags, support the military and everything it stands for, to play in that tour just for the money!!! Also how much money do a lot of these guys need? Mickelson estimate $800 million, Garcia $43 million in their golf career. As far as playing in anything other than LIV exhibition golf, they made a choice, liv(HA HA) with your choice and go away with your salary for goofing off with your buds for 3 days of booze and rock and roll. Pretty good life but some have integrity and understand what this country stands for, hard work and being the best.
I’m surprised it took 24 posts for the real issue to be surfaced. This is not about loyalty, it’s about participating in sportwashing for a country that has an abysmal human rights record.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

I only watch golf on mute. No great loss
Old 08-12-2022, 08:49 PM

Liv golf. Why do we all live in The Villages, because we all made enough money to retire here. Why do we all go to work everyday, money. Without money in this society we have barely anything, and it is pretty hard to live on barely anything. When the NFL. NHL, baseball expanded because of rival leagues forming, do you think the competition got worse, no I believe you have to compete harder to play in these leagues. It has created more opportunities for kids to play in High school, more kids compete in college, which makes it more competive to play in the pros. I know there is a lot of mediocre players in the bigs, but they all make a pretty darn good salary to play, and the competition seems to go up each year. But you talk to all the big leagueres, and see if they would just play for a trophy, which is basically what a lot of these golfers are saying, I want to take home that trophy. Well, I will bet if there was no money to play for that trophy, there would no professional golfers. Trophies don't put food on the table, and if there was salaries paid to players, there just may be a lot more kids taking up the sport, which will make the sport more competive.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Hud View Post
Liv golf. Why do we all live in The Villages, because we all made enough money to retire here. Why do we all go to work everyday, money. Without money in this society we have barely anything, and it is pretty hard to live on barely anything. When the NFL. NHL, baseball expanded because of rival leagues forming, do you think the competition got worse, no I believe you have to compete harder to play in these leagues. It has created more opportunities for kids to play in High school, more kids compete in college, which makes it more competive to play in the pros. I know there is a lot of mediocre players in the bigs, but they all make a pretty darn good salary to play, and the competition seems to go up each year. But you talk to all the big leagueres, and see if they would just play for a trophy, which is basically what a lot of these golfers are saying, I want to take home that trophy. Well, I will bet if there was no money to play for that trophy, there would no professional golfers. Trophies don't put food on the table, and if there was salaries paid to players, there just may be a lot more kids taking up the sport, which will make the sport more competive.
At the end of the day its a job, their livelihood. Many of these players have a finite golf lifespan. They could get injured, get the yips, etc and so they want to make as much money as they can while they can.
Closed Thread

Tags
liv, golf, miss, days, personally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.