De chambeau

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2021, 06:46 AM

From what I've seen, living here in The Villages for the past 23 years, most guys can't putt. If it's somewhere under 3 feet, they pick it up. Of course you can't get a score for that hole, but then who cares? I would rather have a gimme tee shot than a gimme putt. Be kinda nice to drop the ball in the middle of the fairway, about 200 yards out, then say "I would have hit it there". What the heck is the difference between that and a gimme putt? They are both just 1 stroke.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:19 AM

That many makable putts for a pro to miss, is where the "pucker" factor came into effect.
The machine is human.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Both of those guys played one heckuva tournament, tied at 27 under. In the final analysis, one had to win, and one had to not win (I will not say lose). An epic battle that took six playoff holes to complete. I think both young men should be congratulated.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I wanted to say it first.

What a playoff.

I thought it was over six times.
Yep....5 pulls and 1 push I think ⛳️😜
Old 08-31-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

What I found interesting was that he missed every putt left until th last one. Now all of these guys have to be able to perform under pressure and DeChambeau has many times including the back nine Sunday. But it seems that the pressure was ramped up in the playoff and something happened with his stroke where he closed the club face slightly on those putts. By every other measure he outplayed Cantlay and should have won that playoff. The brain is a funny thing. It controls physical movements. In the case of putting it only has to have a very slight effect. Why some people are able to perform under pressure and others are not will probably never be known. Neither will whysome people, like Cantlay in this case, are able to perform better when pressure is ratcheted up.
I’m not a big DeChambeau fan. As someone said he always seems to think that he’s smarter than everyone else. But more than that he seems to blame everything other than himself for bad shots. His driver is bad, someone was walking, but it’s never “I made a bad swing “. His method has been somewhat successful but when it fails it fails big time. He either hits it great or he hits it off the planet. Then when he does hit a bad shot he seems to compound the error by trying to hit low percentage recovery shots.
For someone that’s supposed to be so intelligent he doesn’t seem to understand that there are circumstances where he needs to play conservatively. That’s how he ends up shooting 44 on the final nine of a tournament that he was in a position to win.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:04 AM

I thought is was very exciting I don’t like him but best guy won. After 18 hole walking you have to be exhausted. Putting is the game the hardest part😎

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I wanted to say it first.

What a playoff.

I thought it was over six times.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:16 AM
Default Good Guy Maybe

Impressed that he tried to silence crowd when Cantlay was putting. Also, high-fived spectators during final round, very unusual.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

He’s only human! I saw Tiger Woods at the Memorial on a par 3 miss the green 3 times & took a double bogey & he was in the lead. So how does the #1 player in the world at the time do that? He’s only human! Also this was the last year Jack Nicklaus played as a Pro & he played on his golf course he designed. So it was a few yrs. ago.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
Stanley I am sure you have been asked before but …….what is the meaning behind your photo
With all the talk about vaccine mandates and passports, It should be pretty obvious.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
With all the talk about vaccine mandates and passports, It should be pretty obvious.
I was thinking darker ……….as women being owned
But so true
Old 08-31-2021, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

That was a pay per view match for sure. High skills and a contrast of style.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:51 PM
Default Ryder Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
I see many pros. miss putts every week in the 5' to 7' range .. I know for a fact I can do the same thing
He made the Ryder Cup USA team. l am going to be a volunteer there for the week. Will be interesting to watch him in person.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:50 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaxxx View Post
That many makable putts for a pro to miss, is where the "pucker" factor came into effect.
The machine is human.
If you could watch all the pros that didn't make the cut or just barely made it, There were probably a lot of putts missed inside 5 feet.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
His game is his driver, not his putter.

Or his chipping….
Old 08-31-2021, 09:02 PM

In putting speed determines the line. The biggest enemy of speed/touch is tension. Compare videos of Bryson putting vs. Patrick. Who do you think in these pictures shows the most muscle tension? That will explain why he yanked all of his 5+ putts through the break.
Closed Thread

Tags
chambeau, question, guy, miss, putts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.