Masters & LIV

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2022, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Unlike other athletes, the players on the PGA Tour only get paid if they play well. Tom Brady is still getting paid tens of millions while playing poorly. Golf tennis and bowling are the only sports that I can think of where the players are paid based solely on their performance.

Also, The PGA Tour gave over $3 billion to charities in 2021 and that number will increase in 2022.

They pay no taxes because as you stated, they are not for profit. All the money they collect is spent on expenses or donated to charities. Yes, they pay out millions to their players. They do that in order to attract the best players in the world in order to keep up interest in their product so that they can continue to give $BILLIONS to charity.

By the way, those millionaire players pay taxes on the money that they win so I wouldn't worry about Uncle Sam getting his cut and most of the elite players have set up charitable foundations. You only have to look as far as Orlando to see the Arnold Palmer and Winnie Palmer hospitals. In The Jack Nicklaus hospital for children is in Columbus Ohio.

Click here to read about The Tiger Woods Foundation and all that they do to help children.About - TGR Foundation, A Tiger Woods Charity
Maybe you didn't hear but the players are all guaranteed 500k per year now. That makes them employees. Also, let's not forget the 100 million in PIP Player Impact Program that Tiger a billionaire won 2 years in a row for a cool $75 million.

Keep in mind this is unlike a not-for-profit like St.Jude which is trying to save kids' lives. The PGA is trying to look like heroes donating some money while making their pockets as fat as possible.

I imagine when the lawsuits start and we get to discovery the PGA tax exemption will come under more scrutiny.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,039 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Maybe you didn't hear but the players are all guaranteed 500k per year now. That makes them employees. Also, let's not forget the 100 million in PIP Player Impact Program that Tiger a billionaire won 2 years in a row for a cool $75 million.

Keep in mind this is unlike a not-for-profit like St.Jude which is trying to save kids' lives. The PGA is trying to look like heroes donating some money while making their pockets as fat as possible.

I imagine when the lawsuits start and we get to discovery the PGA tax exemption will come under more scrutiny.
They'll give up their Non-Profit Status, before it comes to that ... just like the MLB did in 2007.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,039 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
LIV offered a new model for players. They were able to sign a few players by throwing incredible sums of money. The PGA responded by throwing incredible sums of money to keep players in the fold. The PGA has essentially created a tour within a tour by catering to the top 20, whoever that might be. The PGA tour is now a case of the “haves” and “have nots”. If I was a mid-level player in the PGA, I would certainly give the LIV tour a hard look if offered. I will be rooting for a LIV player to win the Masters just to shut up a few of the more vocal PGA players. LIV and let LIV is my motto.
I have friends on the Korn - Ferry Tour. It will be interesting what happens with this Tour. As it is now, the PGA Tour now has (2) Tours - Stars & Not Stars. I suspect it will be tougher for the Korn Ferry Tour to get sponsors, if it's now the 3rd ranked Tour in the USA.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,969 Times in 754 Posts

If I want to watch grass grow it will not be sitting in front of a tv.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post

Sounds like an expert on the PGA tour, non-profit organizations and the US tax code-------hmmmmm..........perhaps not
Old 12-24-2022, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Note that the PGA is not a charity. It is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization, similar to business leagues, chambers of commerce, and real estate boards. They don't need to give any money to charity. Saint Jude Hospital is a 501(c)3 non-profit charity organization, which must have a charitable mission. Both organizations get their non-profit designation and approval from the IRS. The PGA is not scamming anyone. If you don't like their non-profit status, then complain to the Federal Government and change the law.
Closed Thread

Tags
masters, liv, augusta, national, ban

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.