Ocala Open at Candler Hills

Old 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts
Default Ocala Open at Candler Hills

I had a couple of friends playing in the Ocala Open at Candler Hills today, so I spent most of the afternoon there.

The course was in excellent condition. Greens were smooth, fairly fast and putting well. El Nino pretty much spared Candler Hills. It's not a great golf course, but definitely a step up from what's in TV.

A couple of legends were playing this year. Ted Potter, Jr who's been a mini-tour legend for 20 years. His mini-tour wins are estimated at 60 and he also has 2 PGA Tour victories to his credit. He's a graduate of Lake Weir high school.

Also in the field, was Fran Quinn Jr and his son Owen. I mostly learned to play golf, playing with Fran's Uncle Bill. Fran and his son Owen almost became the first father/son duo at a US Open, since Jack & Gary Nicklaus in 1997.

Owen missed by a few at Sectionals. Father Fran became the oldest golfer in history, to successfully go through qualifying for the US Open. He was 57 when he played at the Country Club in Brookline, in 2022.

Tomorrow is the last day of the Ocala Open. It's free and a lot closer than heading to Innisbrook, if you want to watch some professional golf.

Spectators – Ocala Open | Candler Hills Golf Club

Tags
open, fran, golf, ocala, candler

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.