Should Mickelson have been DQ'd?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Mickelson's actions of hitting a moving ball?
I'm a Phil fan and think the penalty was appropriate. 51 39.23%
I'm a Phil fan, but think he should have been DQ'd. 43 33.08%
I'm not a Phil fan, but think the penalty was appropriate. 17 13.08%
I'm not a Phil fan and think he should have been DQ'd. 19 14.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Yes, he should have been. And then he should have apologized for losing his cool and we forgive him and move on.
Absolutely agree.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I hear what people are saying about how Phil shouldn't have done what he did but I'm sure Phil knew exactly what he was doing. If you watched the Open you could see how many players missed 2 to 5 ft. puts either came up short or if they hit their 3 ft. putt & missed it rolled 10 ft. past or off the green. This wasn't just Mickelson it was most of the players. Besides I'm sure Phil wasn't going to win it or be in the top 10 finishers at 13 or 14 over at that time. I'm really surprise more people that made comments here didn't say, I wonder how many players will want to come back to this course & play. The course was terrible! I'm glad to see Phil showing his frustration in how bad this course was! Just my opinion, I'm just an amateur just like most of us that are making my opinions about Phil. Just to bad Phil didn't play better & did what he did though!
I watched the Open every day and I didn't see any missed three footers rolling ten feet by or off the green. Do you have specific examples of this? I'm sure that it could happen on a US Open golf course, but that's part of solving the problem. Hitting your ball on the green is not good enough. It has to be in a specific location on the green. Or more importantly, it can't be in certain specific locations. It's the same at The Masters. if you get your ball above the hole on some holes, you either have to hole it or you're going to have a long comeback putt.

This is major championship golf. Brooks Koepka won by shooting one over. Dustin Johnson could have won, but he putted horribly. He hit the ball on the green and in the right spot for the most part, but couldn't find the line. Had he putted just decently, (and that's 30 putts at the tour level) he would have won easily. Tommy Fleetwood shot 63 so how can anyone say that the golf course was unfair or too difficult. It's supposed to be extremely difficult.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM

Phil screwed up but then, no one is perfect. For those who condemn him I pose the question, all the years we endured Tigers temper tantrums, swearing, throwing clubs, kicking his bag, etc. Etc. Did you condemn his actions and if not, why?
Old 06-18-2018, 04:15 PM

The two stroke penalty was the rule. However, if there is a possibility that the tournament officials have the option to disqualify Phil then the verbiage needs to be in the rule that the officials have the discretion to use their own judgement that includes up to being disqualified. But since the rules do not have that option listed then you can't disqualify him.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I watched the Open every day and I didn't see any missed three footers rolling ten feet by or off the green. Do you have specific examples of this? I'm sure that it could happen on a US Open golf course, but that's part of solving the problem. Hitting your ball on the green is not good enough. It has to be in a specific location on the green. Or more importantly, it can't be in certain specific locations. It's the same at The Masters. if you get your ball above the hole on some holes, you either have to hole it or you're going to have a long comeback putt.

This is major championship golf. Brooks Koepka won by shooting one over. Dustin Johnson could have won, but he putted horribly. He hit the ball on the green and in the right spot for the most part, but couldn't find the line.
Had he putted just decently, (and that's 30 putts at the
tour level) he would have won easily. Tommy Fleetwood shot 63 so how can anyone say that the golf course was unfair or too difficult. It's supposed to be extremely difficult.
The course setup by the PGA on Saturday was not a fair one. By the time the last groups of golfers got to some holes the “right spot” was either completely gone or almost minuscule. Good shots were Time and again not biting and rolling off the greens. Phill the Hall of Fame senior statesmen made a statement for his fellow competitors. The USGA got the message and had the course set up in a fair way on Sunday. Yeah, Tommy Fleetwood shot a 63 on Sunday. What did that same golfer shoot on Saturday. 78!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
The course setup by the PGA on Saturday was not a fair one. By the time the last groups of golfers got to some holes the “right spot” was either completely gone or almost minuscule. Good shots were Time and again not biting and rolling off the greens. Phill the Hall of Fame senior statesmen made a statement for his fellow competitors. The USGA got the message and had the course set up in a fair way on Sunday. Yeah, Tommy Fleetwood shot a 63 on Sunday. What did that same golfer shoot on Saturday. 78!
[emoji106]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

You know, I can see everyone's disapproval what Phil did but if Phil wanted to tank his match, it was his money that he was losing not ours. There's no rule in golf that says he can't tank a golf match. To me it was just not very professional for a pro golfer to do something like this. Why are so many people getting down on Phil? Haven't we all started something & just finally say I quit! He could of just walked off the course but maybe this was his way of saying the greens are crap. Would that of been the right thing to do, NO! Why is it that when someone does something like this, it's news for the next 6 months. What Phil did has been done before!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:37 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I like Phil very m uch, but intentionally doing what he did should have warranted a DQ.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Mickelson embarrassed at U.S. Open blunder
Old 06-21-2018, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
I like Phil very m uch, but intentionally doing what he did should have warranted a DQ.
Again, everyone who is suggesting he should have been DQ'ed needs to read the decisions on the rules of golf, rule 1-2, specifically the example given:

1-2/5.5 Player Purposely Stops or Deflects Ball; Where Next Stroke Must Be Played from
Q.A player's ball lies through the green. After playing a pitch shot up a slope, the player sees his ball start to roll back towards him. He places his club in front of the ball and stops it. The ball would have rolled only a few yards more and remained through the green. What is the ruling?
A.Since the player purposely stopped the ball, he is in breach of Rule 1-2. As the breach was not serious, the player incurs a penalty of loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play. In stroke play, he must play the ball from the point where he stopped it with his club - see Note 2 to Rule 1-2.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

As the ball would have only rolled a few yards more... not a serious violation.

Whereas Mickelson said he volleyed the ball because he was convinced it was going to continue a very significant distance, so many yards that he felt he would save strokes by taking a two stroke penalty or stated more clearly he says he calculated that it would take at least 4 more strokes to play it from where it was likely to stop. With what he did he was looking at 3 strokes had his volley gone in the hole. Hardly a good example to support your position. And since this is the best rule you can find for only assessing him a two stroke penalty and it does not apply when the ball was going to roll more than "a few yards", DQ would seem more appropriate.

I doubt Mickelson would need four strokes from somewhere just off the green but if you believe his explanation was honest that it was a strategic choice to save strokes rather than a blatant breach of the spirit of golf then I wonder why no one else had employed this brilliant strategy. I don't believe I have seen a single other PGA player defend Mickelson's action as being clever strategy. I suspect had it been Woods the tone on this website would be very different. But some people are more equal.

Tags
daly, john, open, make, u.s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.