Should Mickelson have been DQ'd?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Mickelson's actions of hitting a moving ball?
I'm a Phil fan and think the penalty was appropriate. 51 39.23%
I'm a Phil fan, but think he should have been DQ'd. 43 33.08%
I'm not a Phil fan, but think the penalty was appropriate. 17 13.08%
I'm not a Phil fan and think he should have been DQ'd. 19 14.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
IMO - Much ado about not much. oooooooo, the rules of golf.....ooooooo, disrespect for other players and the game, ooooooo, ruins his career and legacy.

C'mon all - even though the PGA and USGA controls pro golf like it's sanctimonious and pious - it's a sport played by humans with tons o' rules for a lot of money.

So - a player out of contention with no chance to challenge a top 30 finish - allows his emotions to react on the green...big deal. He accepted the penalty, and perhaps the USGA will disqualify him for the final round. Yet another big name pro is out of Sunday US Open. Most are out due to a course (un)prepped to be uncontrollable (and "Challenging").

OK, Phil's reasoning during his postgame interview was hokey and not totally truthful. But he was embarrassed and simply did not want the 13th to continue on. How many of us did the same move of the putter when missing putts? Yes, not during a major tourney...but Phil IS HUMAN and allowed his emotions to spurt. Let it go...

Another note - HOW BAD is the TV coverage by Fox? So many audio and video glitches - the crowd yelling is embarrassing...esp the XXX rated ones...need to have an 8-second delay...too many talking heads...and truthfully I am not a fan of links courses - IMO the aesthetics on TV is not eye-appealing.

OK I'm done. 2 stroke penalty on ToTV...
Yea. I gotta mostly agree with this. Pro players in all sports sometimes do things that they shouldn't. They get penalized according to the rules of their sport and life goes on. Phil's actions will have zero affect on the tournament except for the news coverage.

Having said that - If this is to be considered a major no-no, then the USGA can create a rule to address it. Kinda like: "You can't ask your fans to get together and roll a boulder out of the way."
Old 06-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I don't really care much about Phil Mickelson, but could somebody provide a link or just tell me what the crowd was doing? I didn't see the broadcast.

The only other polite fans are/(but are changing to were) tennis fans. (Except at the US Open in NYC, which has always been rowdy.)
Old 06-17-2018, 10:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
, but could somebody provide a link or just tell me what the crowd was doing? I didn't see the broadcast.

Just google it - but...you know how golf fans yell out "IN THE HOLE!!!". It was kinda like that - but VERY much more XXX descriptive...
Old 06-17-2018, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Just google it - but...you know how golf fans yell out "IN THE HOLE!!!". It was kinda like that - but VERY much more XXX descriptive...
Thanks. At first I came up with just stuff about the players, so I changed my search terms and got what I wanted.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Deliberately stopping the ball, which Michleson said he did, "to stop it rolling off the green" is disqualification. Simple.
If he was making a point about the ridiculous set up of the course, have the balls to say so.
Worse than that though, is the so called fans abusive behaviour towards any non-American player. The drunken mob are beneath contempt.
Actually, it is not. In the decisions on the rules of golf, rule 1-2, they use the example of a golfer pitching up a slope short and the ball starts rolling back to him. He runs up and stops the ball with his clubhead. The decision explicitly states that this "was not a serious breach", and he is assessed 2 strokes and plays it where he stopped it.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Actually, it is not. In the decisions on the rules of golf, rule 1-2, they use the example of a golfer pitching up a slope short and the ball starts rolling back to him. He runs up and stops the ball with his clubhead. The decision explicitly states that this "was not a serious breach", and he is assessed 2 strokes and plays it where he stopped it.
That's good to know about the two strokes. When I do that I either keep hitting or give up on the hole. Many more than two strokes for this beginner. I would rather take the two strokes and play the rest of the hole.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Platinum member

Where is it being played, Oh New York with a train that runs out of the city to the course.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 AM

Love Phil———-
BUT ******* Your Out !!!
If one does it, Next they will say. “ Phil did it”
Old 06-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Platinum member

I think we need a sub-forum where the USGA/RA/PGA Tour rules officials can ask TOTV members to interpret the rules and make decisions for them.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:06 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Over blown.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I think we need a sub-forum where the USGA/RA/PGA Tour rules officials can ask TOTV members to interpret the rules and make decisions for them.
LOL. Good one! : )
Old 06-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
What an excellent idea!

Old 06-17-2018, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I usually stop the ball like Phil did then have my Grandson hold the Blades on the WindMill add one stroke penalty because he doesn't know about the two-stroke rule and then have Ice Cream and come home. No matter what I always win because he doesn't know how to add when we go in to have our scorecard signed at the snack bar.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Mickelson's post round excuse that he knew about the two stroke penalty and thought taking it would save him strokes on the hole was a lie. He lied to the public about his reasoning trying to make it a strategic ploy within the rules. His new nickname with be "Lying Phil". Whenever his gets a bad lie it will remind everyone of this bad lie.

Quote:
" When a rules official approached, Mickelson told him, “Whatever I got, I got. I don’t care,” according to a nearby witness"
versus his later statement

Quote:
"I don't mean disrespect to anybody," Mickelson said after his round. "I know it's a two-shot penalty. At that time, I just didn't feel like going back and forth and hitting the same shot over. I took the two-shot penalty and moved on. It's my understanding of the rules. I've had multiple times where I've wanted to do that. I just finally did"
Old 06-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Much ado about nothing......if everyone played by the rules everyone in TV would be disqualified and all the courses deserted. If I was Phil, after shooting the 81 and being as wealthy as he is, I would be begging to be DQ'd so I could head home and enjoy Fathers Day with the family.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
daly, john, open, make, u.s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.