So so unfair pro golf purse

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2023, 07:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
This isn't a social program or a constitutional right ... this is a business.
Agree.......................Free Market.

Let's give everyone participation awards.

Let's pay all Doctors, CPA's & Attorneys the same as hamburger flippers.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:20 AM
Default Not the same game....Love watching the Women in all sports...Support them for years..

When women Sport draw the Money..
as men sports ...they should and will be paid as Men. ( Golf, women use much shorter course then men ) ..not the same.
Tennis was the first Woke Sport...paying the women the same is a crime ...Love watching the women....but they are not playing the same game as men! ( Not as fast or powerful) And they only play 60%of what the men play ( 3 sets to 5 sets)....So maybe they should only get %60 of what men are paid????
Old 03-04-2023, 07:42 AM
Default Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
The one objection I have with this post is the reference to women's sports as an "inferior product ". It is kind of a simple matter of "horsepower". To me, a race between two mazda miatas just as interesting as a race between two corvettes. Still requires the same skill to get the best result from your competitive limitations.
Good comparison but the difference is you would go to the Miatas race but would go see the Corvette race!!
Old 03-04-2023, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kelly View Post
When women Sport draw the Money..
as men sports ...they should and will be paid as Men. ( Golf, women use much shorter course then men ) ..not the same.
Tennis was the first Woke Sport...paying the women the same is a crime ...Love watching the women....but they are not playing the same game as men! ( Not as fast or powerful) And they only play 60%of what the men play ( 3 sets to 5 sets)....So maybe they should only get %60 of what men are paid????
True--sort of--

That 5-set thing for men's tennis applies only to the four major "grand slam" tournaments (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and the U.S. Open). The ATP Final and Indian Wells used to play five, but now only three. Fan attendance at the slam matches is pretty much equal men to women, and TV viewership for the grand slam events are also roughly equal, men and women. The prize money at the slams is equal, men to women, which makes sense considering the roughly equal fan attendance, media coverage, etc. for both genders.

Things drop off at non-slam events. There are roughly equal numbers of WTA (women's pro tennis) and ATP (Men's pro tennis) events per year. But the women's events just don't draw as many viewers at the matches, and "In total, the women’s competitions received 41% less media coverage than the men’s". ("Gender Media Coverage in Tennis", signal-ai dot com).

I love watching tennis, of whatever gender. But it is a fact that the games don't compare well. There are a few women's pro tennis players who have beaten men's pro players but those are the very occasional exceptions to a pretty rigid rule.

This, from topend sports dot com: "During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

Facts are neither fair nor unfair. They are merely facts. And it is a fact that women's pro tennis is an inferior product to men's pro tennis.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Men are more competitive than women, and it is not only because of physical strength or skill. The game of chess has been played around the world for more than a thousand years. It requires no physical strength or skill. But women have never been able to compete with men in chess tournaments or rankings.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,321 Times in 596 Posts

If they had a Wimbledon for women and a separate Wimbledon for men, I doubt that the purses would be the same. The TV ratings would be much lower for the women’s tournament.

The women tennis players should be thankful that they are benefiting from the men players.

If the women golf would play at the same time as the men’s (alternate foursomes), they might get more money because the men are bringing in the money.

Same with the NBA and WNBA - have both games played on same night at same arena. And require TV to pay the same for both games. I think the crowds and ratings would be lower for the WNBA but who cares -the goal is equity.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:34 AM

Consider supporting The Women's Sports Foundation. It was founded in 1974 by Billie Jean King to advocate for equality and to expand access and opportunities for girls and women in sports. As the mother of a female athlete, I see first hand the discrimination that exists in women's sports. Federal Title IX legislation turned 50 this past year, but female sports teams are still not funded the same way that men's teams are at the high school and college level. Until that changes, we will not see gender equity in sports at the professional level. By watching the WNBA games or LPGA tournaments, you can make a difference too!
Home - Women's Sports Foundation
Old 03-04-2023, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

Yet when it comes to beach volleyball most viewers would prefer to watch the women.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post

Until that changes, we will not see gender equity in sports at the professional level. By watching the WNBA games or LPGA tournaments, you can make a difference too!
Home - Women's Sports Foundation
"Gender equality" in sports will begin the minute a woman beats a man, at the highest level of sports competition.

"Gender equity" is what we have now. Athletes are remunerated at a level that reflects the public's interest in their sport and the level of competition.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
"Gender equality" in sports will begin the minute a woman beats a man, at the highest level of sports competition.

"Gender equity" is what we have now. Athletes are remunerated at a level that reflects the public's interest in their sport and the level of competition.
Why does a women need to be a man to matter? Don't reply - I have no interest!
Old 03-04-2023, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Unfortunately, many confused people now define gender equality in sports to be when a man, who claims to identify as a woman, beats biological women. Very sad!
Old 03-04-2023, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

It seems as though some posters on this thread are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Why not let the free market determine the value of sports? Some sporting events are more popular than others and that is why they raise more money. Just like some movies make more money than others because more people want to see them. I don't think it is about men vs women. Also, it is not about discrimination, equaIity, or equity.
Old 03-04-2023, 10:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

The WNBA has LOST MONEY every single year since its inception. It’s only thanks to the NBA, who covers for their losses, that WNBA players even remain employed in the first place. The WNBA already sucks around $15 million from the NBA every year.

I don’t want to hear anything about “gender pay gap”. If you present a good product to the masses, you will get rewarded. So of course they shouldn’t expect to get paid the same! How about they show ONE year of profit first before they go on complaining about pay. I’m still waiting…
One has to wonder how many women complaining about gender pay gap have ever attended a WNBA game?
Old 03-04-2023, 10:58 AM

It’s based on viewership. If less people watch one event than another then the less viewed event will have a smaller prize. Why don’t you go house to house and force everyone to watch the event YOU think is unfairly paid.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
Why does a women need to be a man to matter? Don't reply - I have no interest!
They don't NEED TO BE A MAN.

Overall, men are at a higher level of quality sports and audiences enjoy the higher level.

Tags
winner, genders, basketball, women, supplement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.