So so unfair pro golf purse

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2023, 11:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,115 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
Why does a women need to be a man to matter? Don't reply - I have no interest!
She doesn't have to be a man, she merely has to have the ability to compete at the same level.

& I replied in the hope you'll understand a simpler explanation.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-04-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,729 Times in 1,547 Posts

Mama Nature, in her wisdom, has imbued each sex with physical characteristics (Note I said PHYSICAL) related to their biological roles. This can probably every member of the genus Homo that has inhabited this planet, up to and including Homo Sapiens. Women are the homemakers; the keepers of the hearth. They are the gender that conceives, bears and rears children and their bodies are designed for that role. Men on the other hand are designed to be the hunters, the warriors, and the protectors. They are taller, better-muscled, can run faster, jump higher, and throw a spear farther than the female gender can. On the negative side they also die earlier.

Physical sports depends on physical conditioning. Men, being the more physical of the two genders, naturally do better than women in just about all physical sports. They're designed for it; women aren't. It has always been that way. With some few exceptions, it will always be that way.

You can't fool Mother Nature.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
When women start playing from the black tees and hit as far as men then maybe equal viewership and equal pay. Otherwise, no.
Laura Davies out drives most pros, even now.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:07 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,812 Times in 3,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowilts View Post
Laura Davies out drives most pros, even now.
Fake News

Look up facts.

Her average driving distance is 262.
Ranked 29th in LPGA.

Male Pros can't survive on 260 yards in the PGA today.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,182 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post

The United States Women’s National Team (USWNT) earned more money from its male equivalent reaching the knockout stages of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar than it did from winning its own tournaments in 2015 and 2019.
This is both true and misleading. The US soccer national teams have an agreement that whatever money the men win in FIFA is equally split with the women, and whatever money the women win is equally split with the men. That means in tournaments that the men don't even qualify which happens too often that they still get paid because the women are so successful.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,813 Times in 5,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Mama Nature, in her wisdom, has imbued each sex with physical characteristics (Note I said PHYSICAL) related to their biological roles. This can probably every member of the genus Homo that has inhabited this planet, up to and including Homo Sapiens. Women are the homemakers; the keepers of the hearth. They are the gender that conceives, bears and rears children and their bodies are designed for that role. Men on the other hand are designed to be the hunters, the warriors, and the protectors. They are taller, better-muscled, can run faster, jump higher, and throw a spear farther than the female gender can. On the negative side they also die earlier.

Physical sports depends on physical conditioning. Men, being the more physical of the two genders, naturally do better than women in just about all physical sports. They're designed for it; women aren't. It has always been that way. With some few exceptions, it will always be that way.

You can't fool Mother Nature.
It's not just physical sports. Men are more competitive than women at all games, sports, and other competitive endeavors that involves objective scoring. Some examples are billiards, table tennis, chess, archery, shooting, darts, and bowling. I could be wrong, but I don't know of any competitive game or sport where men do not dominate.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:42 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,812 Times in 3,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Men are more competitive than women at all games, sports, and other competitive endeavors.

I don't know of any competitive game or sport where men do not dominate.

U R a brave man!!!

Old 03-04-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I don't agree. The purse is based on the amount of money that can be raised to produce and promote the tournament. It's a business, that has income and expenses, like any other business. No one is forcing women to play in a golf tournament. Where do you suggest that the extra money come from?
If you ever watched an LPGA tournament you would see where the money could come from. The PGA seems to take precedence over the LPGA, especially on TV, even the Golf channel puts the PGA over the LPGA. If the TV stations would equalize the time of each group the money would become more even.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,198 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDToto41 View Post
If you ever watched an LPGA tournament you would see where the money could come from. The PGA seems to take precedence over the LPGA, especially on TV, even the Golf channel puts the PGA over the LPGA. If the TV stations would equalize the time of each group the money would become more even.
Really, the TV stations are in business for profit. They show what generates higher ratings and associated advertising revenue. If the LPGA was more profitable to air, guess what would be on TV.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,729 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
It's not just physical sports. Men are more competitive than women at all games, sports, and other competitive endeavors that involves objective scoring. Some examples are billiards, table tennis, chess, archery, shooting, darts, and bowling. I could be wrong, but I don't know of any competitive game or sport where men do not dominate.
I think that is true of the top echelons of most physical sports. But outside of world-class, men and women can compete equally in a lot of sports. Tennis, for example: my wife regularly puts a solid whoopin' on me most times when she and I play.

I'd be a bit hesitant though about generalizing competitions where the criterion for competing is cerebral rather than physical. I played a whole lot of chess in my younger (university) days. Some of the tournaments I played in had women contestants, most didn't. It just wasn't something women did much back then. Today though it is different. Men still dominate but today there are a respectable number of women in the upper echelons of chess. Judit Polgar, for example, recognized as the top female chess player, achieved a #8 world ranking.

There has been studies about this. One in particular is especially fascinating, showing that achievement in chess may be due not so much to innate ability as to cultural expectations and bias. See below:

"In a 2007 study at the University of Padua, male and female players of similar ability were matched up with each other on online games. When the players were unaware of their opponent's sex, female players won slightly under half their games. When female players were told their opponent was male, they played less aggressively, and they won about one in four games. However, when female players were told their opponent was female, even though they were actually male, they were as aggressive as the male players and won about one in two games. The researchers argued that gender stereotypes may have led female players to lower their self-esteem and self-confidence when they know they are playing male players, causing them to play defensively which worsened their performance." (Maass, Anne; D'Ettole, Claudio; Cadinu, Mara (2007-05-14). "Checkmate? The role of gender stereotypes in the ultimate intellectual sport". European Journal of Social Psychology. 38 (2): 231–245. doi:10.1002/ejsp.440. S2CID 144308852., as quoted in Wikipedia). I don't know of any other studies that confirm this, but it is a fascinating study nonetheless.

There is little question that men excel in physical sports. Cerebral ones? Maybe not so much.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts

Dr[QUOTE=dewilson58;2194123]Agree.......................Free Market.

Let's give everyone participation awards.

Let's pay all Doctors, CPA's & Attorneys the same as hamburger

Pay should be somewhat equitable, not GROSSLY unequitable like professional golf. Haven't checked stats but pretty sure Kathy Whitworth had more wins than Tiger and wonder whether in her hay day might have beaten some men headliners, only God knows.

Last edited by jebartle; 03-04-2023 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDToto41 View Post
The 2022 PGA championship final round had 5.27 million television viewers as compared to 860,000 viewers for the LPGA championship final round. That is why the TV stations don't equalize the time. They are in business to make money, and the money comes from their sponsors who pay more based on the viewership.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 03-04-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
The 2022 PGA championship final round had 5.27 television viewers as compared to 860,000 viewers for the LPGA championship final round. That is why the TV stations don't equalize the time. They are in business to make money, and the money comes from their sponsors who pay more based on the viewership.
I'm guessing, the LPGA needs a new commissioner!!!!!
Old 03-04-2023, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I think that is true of the top echelons of most physical sports. But outside of world-class, men and women can compete equally in a lot of sports. Tennis, for example: my wife regularly puts a solid whoopin' on me most times when she and I play.

I'd be a bit hesitant though about generalizing competitions where the criterion for competing is cerebral rather than physical. I played a whole lot of chess in my younger (university) days. Some of the tournaments I played in had women contestants, most didn't. It just wasn't something women did much back then. Today though it is different. Men still dominate but today there are a respectable number of women in the upper echelons of chess. Judit Polgar, for example, recognized as the top female chess player, achieved a #8 world ranking.

There has been studies about this. One in particular is especially fascinating, showing that achievement in chess may be due not so much to innate ability as to cultural expectations and bias. See below:

"In a 2007 study at the University of Padua, male and female players of similar ability were matched up with each other on online games. When the players were unaware of their opponent's sex, female players won slightly under half their games. When female players were told their opponent was male, they played less aggressively, and they won about one in four games. However, when female players were told their opponent was female, even though they were actually male, they were as aggressive as the male players and won about one in two games. The researchers argued that gender stereotypes may have led female players to lower their self-esteem and self-confidence when they know they are playing male players, causing them to play defensively which worsened their performance." (Maass, Anne; D'Ettole, Claudio; Cadinu, Mara (2007-05-14). "Checkmate? The role of gender stereotypes in the ultimate intellectual sport". European Journal of Social Psychology. 38 (2): 231–245. doi:10.1002/ejsp.440. S2CID 144308852., as quoted in Wikipedia). I don't know of any other studies that confirm this, but it is a fascinating study nonetheless.

There is little question that men excel in physical sports. Cerebral ones? Maybe not so much.
Thanks. Interesting. But, the fact that only 1 percent of chess grandmasters today are women says that they have a long way to go. There is no question that men dominate chess.

I would take issue with the study you cited. I think it is flawed because, in a professional chess tournament, you always know who your opponent is. He or she is sitting at the same table. It is not played online. It only demonstrates that facing your opponent may play a factor in the game. So, to me, the study doesn't have much relevance to actual chess competition. Also, the study is 15 years old.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
LPGA WINNER $270,000 HSBC
PGA WINNER $3,600,000 BAYHILL

Come on, this is ridiculous

Tennis, soccer same for both genders

Basketball, women must supplement income going overseas at sometimes find themselves in prison.

NOT FAIR!!!!!
Sad perhaps, but it is an open market. Participants share in whatever money is generated. Women's golf just doesn't seem to have the same draw.
Closed Thread

Tags
winner, genders, basketball, women, supplement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.