Spieth disqualified for an incorrect scorecard

Old 02-18-2024, 07:22 AM

In golf, an opposing player keeps the scorecard for a player, thereby vouching for the score. The player then can request the card be corrected. The players do not add up the score. The addition is done by the tournament committee.

Last edited by danglanzsr; 02-18-2024 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Should say “scorecard”, not “score”
Old 02-18-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglanzsr View Post
In golf, an opposing player keeps the scorecard for a player, thereby vouching for the score. The player then can request the card be corrected. The players do not add up the score. The addition is done by the tournament committee.
That's true. In this case, I believe the error was actually made by Speiths playing partner Tom Kim. He recorded a 3 on #4 when Speith actually made bogey. As I understand it, Spieth was a little hot after finishing with a 40 on the back nine, signed the card without thoroughly checking it, and left the scoring area before the committee validated the card. I'm not certain, but I think they validate it with the groups walking scorers electronic record. I believe the player is responsible for the addition, not the committee; they just validate.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Bottom line.............you sign it, you own it.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Why in today's world, with every group having a scorer, the camera men watching every hole, with web sites posting the scores, do the golfers themselves have to sign a card for their score?

So evidently they had the correct score from the scorer, so that they can compare the players' signed card against the scorers tally. . . and disqualify him. Otherwise, how would they know so quickly?

Seems like the old fashioned pre television, pre media blitz everywhere, rule that the traditionalists don't want to change, is really out of date. The rule about signing for yours and your opponents card is left over from the very old days when golfers went out alone, and the sport had to impose such rules to prevent dishonesty amongst the players.

That scenario doesn't exist in today's world, so maybe the rules of PGA tournaments need to be updated to the scorer keeping the score, so the players can focus on playing and not paperwork!

paperwork sucks
This is why I don’t keep score and the Beer tastes better after playing.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

That happens once in a while!
Old 02-18-2024, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
I guess you agree that Jordan whines to him all day. the caddy cant do anything but stand there and give him the dumb look....
Dont know the folks involved personally, but caddy is an employee.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Why in today's world, with every group having a scorer, the camera men watching every hole, with web sites posting the scores, do the golfers themselves have to sign a card for their score?

So evidently they had the correct score from the scorer, so that they can compare the players' signed card against the scorers tally. . . and disqualify him. Otherwise, how would they know so quickly?

Seems like the old fashioned pre television, pre media blitz everywhere, rule that the traditionalists don't want to change, is really out of date. The rule about signing for yours and your opponents card is left over from the very old days when golfers went out alone, and the sport had to impose such rules to prevent dishonesty amongst the players.

That scenario doesn't exist in today's world, so maybe the rules of PGA tournaments need to be updated to the scorer keeping the score, so the players can focus on playing and not paperwork!

paperwork sucks
I worked the Arnold Palmer Invitational for five years and here's what I have experienced working with ShotLink at green #4 for four of those five years. Every group has a "walking scorer" who walks with that group for the entire round. He or she has a tablet on which he enters scores which are instantly transmitted to the scoring truck and from there to the media, etc. Each group also has someone carrying a sign telling the public each player's score relative to par. I can't count how many times at the conclusion of a hole the "official scorer" and the sign carrier have a debate about who scored what, to the point they often have to have a discussion with the player to get it straight. As a player I would WANT to keep my own score AND my opponent's score to make sure the "official score" was accurate.

One thing that helps now is that ShotLink does record every shot, even if it's not televised. More than once we had to radio the ShotLink truck to help us find a ball which was buried in deep rough. And they could do it by tracking the ball's path to it's general landing area.

If Spieth had checked his card against his opponents and there was a dispute over a hole ShotLink could have gone back and verified each shot on that hole. But they don't do that unless there is a dispute that can't be resolved. And that rarely happens. Spieth just didn't check the cards to note the discrepancy.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental1 View Post
I believe the player is responsible for the addition, not the committee; they just validate.
The Player is not responsible for the "addition", per USGA Rules 3.3 (b)(4)

(https://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and...rule&rulenum=3)

The PGA Tour has a ton of "local rules" & Conditions of Play, but I doubt there's anything in them, that requires the player to total his score or penalizes him for bad math skills (as someone mentioned earlier in the thread).
Old 02-18-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:

paperwork sucks
As a former scorer, this is what happens. Your playing partner is your official scorer and vice-versa. At the bottom of each score card is a perforated strip for me(your official scorer) to score FOR you, and on your card, you (my official scorer) to score FOR me. The scorer is a check for the scores. She/he is not the official scorer.
Once the round is done and all are in the scorers tent/building, the players exchange the perforated strips with their scores on it and compare their official score (from their playing partner) to the score that they wrote on their card. They then ask the scorer to read the scores he/she recorded. That’s how it’s done.
The only way I think Spieth could’ve been DQ’d is if he signed the card before the scorer read his scores. Not smart.
I actually had a situation at the Western Open on Chicago where I caught the player in a wrong score. I said he had a 4, he had written down a 5. I reconstructed the hole for him (where his ball was on the hole) and his partner said “she’s right”. Saved him from being DQ’d.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerlady View Post
As a former scorer, this is what happens. Your playing partner is your official scorer and vice-versa. At the bottom of each score card is a perforated strip for me(your official scorer) to score FOR you, and on your card, you (my official scorer) to score FOR me. The scorer is a check for the scores. She/he is not the official scorer.
Once the round is done and all are in the scorers tent/building, the players exchange the perforated strips with their scores on it and compare their official score (from their playing partner) to the score that they wrote on their card. They then ask the scorer to read the scores he/she recorded. That’s how it’s done.
The only way I think Spieth could’ve been DQ’d is if he signed the card before the scorer read his scores. Not smart.
I actually had a situation at the Western Open on Chicago where I caught the player in a wrong score. I said he had a 4, he had written down a 5. I reconstructed the hole for him (where his ball was on the hole) and his partner said “she’s right”. Saved him from being DQ’d.
Absolutely correct. If Spieth had not left the "scoring area" it could have been corrected. The tragedy here is that the "scoring area" was the women's locker room, Spieth had gone 50 feet away to the men's locker room. But I suppose rules are rules. Perhaps it would be better to define the "scoring area" as the entire clubhouse and any area within 100 feet of it.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

“onerous” for someone to keep score for a value around 70? I know our younger generation can’t read or write at a grade school level, but if you can’t add 18 scores up to a value of 70 or 80, then you really have a problem.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Absolutely correct. If Spieth had not left the "scoring area" it could have been corrected. The tragedy here is that the "scoring area" was the women's locker room, Spieth had gone 50 feet away to the men's locker room. But I suppose rules are rules. Perhaps it would be better to define the "scoring area" as the entire clubhouse and any area within 100 feet of it.
I recall Spieth running up the stairs quickly as soon as his group finished the 18th...he may have been upset or needed a restroom urgently.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:56 AM

Has it worked?
Old 02-18-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. That is why, on a par 3, I always aim a little to the left or right of the hole to avoid making a hole-in-one.

Now that's funny!
Old 02-18-2024, 04:54 PM
Default Clothing

Where in the rule book does it mention clothes you cannot wear???? Its the elitest mentally at stuffy golf clubs. They dont want golfers looking like working class smucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Absolutelyl

Tags
card, scorer, score, players, golfers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.