"Stupid Rule" means Rory finishes 2nd

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Default "Stupid Rule" means Rory finishes 2nd

Imagine how Rory McIlroy feels:
On Saturday he was docked a two stroke penalty for not taking full relief after his ball was in ground under repair. Sunday he finished 2nd at HSBC Championship, 1 stroke behind winner Pablo Larrazabal.

Video of McIlroy calling Rule 25-1 kind of stupid
Rory Reacts to 2-Stroke Penalty Abu Dhabi HSBC 2014 | Golf Channel
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Eternal Member

Rules are rules no matter how stupid they are.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

Lots of "stupid" rules in golf that IMHO should be changed.

Such as:
-Ball in footprint in trap cannot be moved,
-Ball in unfilled divot on course cannot be moved,(even Jack Nicklaus thinks this should be changed)
-Man made spike marks on green cannot be fixed, but ball marks can.

Essentially and man made problem for which there is no relief!

Pros do not usually have to deal with these issues as they have people fixing them up or rules for relief from them.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Can't feel "bad" for a Pro Goler who does not know the rules of golf. Maybe Rory learn something----when there is "doubt" call over a rules official.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
Lots of "stupid" rules in golf that IMHO should be changed.

Such as:
-Ball in footprint in trap cannot be moved,
-Ball in unfilled divot on course cannot be moved,(even Jack Nicklaus thinks this should be changed)
-Man made spike marks on green cannot be fixed, but ball marks can.

Essentially and man made problem for which there is no relief!

Pros do not usually have to deal with these issues as they have people fixing them up or rules for relief from them.
I tend to agree with some, but I think the spike mark rule is probably a good one. The pros would be smoothing the path to the hole endlessly.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I don't understand the rule. It seems to me that he took relief properly with his ball, but his stance was still partially in a ground under repair area. I didn't see anything in 25-1 that had anything to do with a golfers stance.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Platinum member
Default Sorry

We don't have to agree with rules to be affected by them or abide by them whether in golf or traffic (speed comes to mind). That's why they are called rules. Penalties are how lessons are learned whether it be strokes in golf or tickets for traffic infractions.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 01-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
We don't have to agree with rules to be affected by them or abide by them whether in golf or traffic (speed comes to mind). That's why they are called rules. Penalties are how lessons are learned whether it be strokes in golf or tickets for traffic infractions.

Now you've quit preaching and gone to meddling.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Gold member
Default Look for "complete relief"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I don't understand the rule. It seems to me that he took relief properly with his ball, but his stance was still partially in a ground under repair area. I didn't see anything in 25-1 that had anything to do with a golfers stance.
in the rule book. It means no part of stance may be in the hazard. Many of the finer points aren't in the little $1 book or rules by the USGA. They are in the many volumed decisions of the rules.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 AM
Gold member
Default Even I know about "complete relief" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8isenough View Post
Imagine how Rory McIlroy feels:
On Saturday he was docked a two stroke penalty for not taking full relief after his ball was in ground under repair. Sunday he finished 2nd at HSBC Championship, 1 stroke behind winner Pablo Larrazabal.

Video of McIlroy calling Rule 25-1 kind of stupid
Rory Reacts to 2-Stroke Penalty Abu Dhabi HSBC 2014 | Golf Channel
from a ground under repair area and I've never made gazillions as does Rory. Everyone has lapses and his result in greater loss because he stands to make greater gains....no...I don't feel bad for Rory and neither should anyone else...he has it all...
Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
in the rule book. It means no part of stance may be in the hazard. Many of the finer points aren't in the little $1 book or rules by the USGA. They are in the many volumed decisions of the rules.
Thanks for the explanation. I figured that had to be why he was penalized, but as you said, my little rules book didn't list anything about the golfers stance.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Rules are rules and that' the way it is unless of course your the guy that is getting penalized then well then you want someone to take a second look. Oh the other exception unless your tiger woods
Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Nothing stupid or obscure about that rule. It's happened to several players in the tour over the years. What's stupid is a player who is aware of the basic rules that the game is played under.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The rules of golf are what makes the game. They didn't pick on him. Rules come into play to keep things fair.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The rules of golf are what makes the game. They didn't pick on him. Rules come into play to keep things fair.
Exactly. In this case, the player had the option of taking relief or not. He could have chosen not to take relief and played the ball where it lay. Once he decided to take relief, he must take relief from the condition. To do otherwise amounts to taking a preferred lie.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.