Tiger in the Masters?

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Sage
Default Tiger in the Masters?

I have not seen this discussed. Was just reading about Tiger Woods possible disqualification from The Masters. The infraction occurred when he took a drop yesterday at 15.

Masters reviews Tiger Woods' drop on 15; was it legal?

I am sure the sponsors are sweating it out. Whether you are a Tiger fan or not, he brings viewers and IMO make any tournament more exciting.

Wowser....
Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,184 Times in 1,237 Posts

Tiger BROKE the rules of golf with the drop. However, he has only been penalized two stroke penalty and will remain in the Masters. He SHOULD have disqualified himself from the tournament once he realized he broke the rule. The Masters has determined to assess a two stroke penalty because a viewer called in in and brought it to the attention of officials.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Sage

Thanks Alemorkam, I just saw he was only assessed a two shot penalty. Not sure unless you are Tiger how you can be assessed a 2 shot penalty after you have signed your card, but I am certainly not an expert.

I do remember Michelle Wie going through the same type issue and was disqualified.

I am interested to hear Tiger's response. Sadly it will have been prepared by his handlers by now. I think the truth lies in his post round interview.

"So I went back to where I played it from, but I went 2 yards further back and I took, tried to take 2 yards off the shot of what I felt I hit. And that should land me short of the flag and not have it either hit the flag or skip over the back. I felt that that was going to be the right decision to take off four right there. And I did. It worked out perfectly."

Taken from article: Masters reviews Tiger Woods' drop on 15; was it legal?

That quote defines an illegal drop.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM

The USGA passed a rule in late 2012 which allows a player who violated a rule but did not realize he was comiting an infraction and has signed his scorecard to be assessed a two stroke penalty in lieu of disqualification.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
The USGA passed a rule in late 2012 which allows a player who violated a rule but did not realize he was committing an infraction and has signed his scorecard to be assessed a two stroke penalty in lieu of disqualification.
I understand that. I wonder if it were not Tiger? People will always wonder that. What happens if he wins? Will he get an asterisk next to his major achievements?

I think Tiger is in a very difficult position, and I suspect he is really considering disqualifying himself.

How bad is that break now? That shot does not hit the flag he likely makes birdie.

This is very interesting to watch unfold...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:14 AM

I think it will motivate him to be more aggressive on the weekend rounds to show his determination although that could lead to his downfall at Augusta. His composure on the first 32 holes is what got him to 5 under. This puts him at 1 under but still only down 5.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Interesting, they first reviewed it while he was playing 18 and determined there was no rule violation. After his post round interview when Tiger stated he intentionally dropped 2 yards back then they determined it was a rule violation...I guess he should not have said anything...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Sage

2 stroke penalty has been assessed. For anyone to insinuate that he did it with the intent to cheat is disingenuous. Also if he would disqualify himself, he would be going against the decision of the Masters committee and I am sure some would find fault with that. Let it be and lets watch his expert play for the next two days and enjoy.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York

Tiger (#1 player in the world) knows the rules. He CLEARLY broke a rule of golf. He should disqualify himself. The precedent was set by Bobby Jones when he called an official over because he THOUGHT his balled moved. The official asked if anyone saw the ball move. Noone did. The Official told Bobby Jones that they should be no penalty. However, Bobby Jones said he would take the penalty because he was not sure. He LOST the major by one shot.

This decision is great for the ratings this week. It is all about the money. How many more people will watch because of this.

The rule the are citing for the 3 stroke penalty instead of disqualification says in fact "a play who "UNKNOWINGLY" breaks a rule which is brought to his attention after signing his card will be assigned a 2 stroke penalty.

Tiger Woods knows the rules.

I really like Tiger Woods and enjoying watching him play. However, Tiger Woods needs to do the right thing and Disqualify Himself. Which he may yet.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Sage
Default The more I ponder...

As I finish my taxes.... early this year and listen to the experts. Do you think the world with our 24x7 news cycle has enough experts . A topic for another thread....

I think Tiger should DQ himself. Does he technically have to? NO....

What I think is not important of course, but I think his stock goes up IMO if he takes that action. He is the game of golf in this era and I think that type of statement from him goes a long way to further solidy golf as one of the greatest games....

Am I alone with this opinion?

PS. I wrote this before I saw any post after #6.

Last edited by ajbrown; 04-13-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Sage

The USGA incorporated a rule LAST YEAR, to cover players who unknowingly breaks a rule and it is reported by a television viewer or someone else AFTER he signed his or her card.

This rule was not in effect when Michelle Wie was disqualified.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
The USGA incorporated a rule LAST YEAR, to cover players who unknowingly breaks a rule and it is reported by a television viewer or someone else AFTER he signed his or her card.

True, my example was not a good one. I actually did not know the rule until this issue came up
Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post

Thank you and you are correct. It is nice to see someone use their head for something besides a hat rack.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Here is the rule for a drop. Why can't he said he followed rule B.

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped;
Old 04-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndlion View Post
Here is the rule for a drop. Why can't he said he followed rule B.

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped;
The ball entered the hazard to the front left of the green, looking at the green from the fairway, on the FAR side of the pond, so that line (B) would be way to the left , either at the drop area or even further left close to the woods.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.