US Open What do you think?

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2015, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What a course. What a show. What a couple of good young golfers. They say that golf has no drama.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Sage

Good thread to read.

My take away from the outcome is sympathy for Dustin Johnson. It was hard to watch someone LOSE by three putting from 12(ish) feet.

He will recover as he is a great player, but it has to hurt, when he is alone in retrospection.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,388 Posts

Great display of some very talented players on a very difficult course.
Billard table rules applied.....I have never seen such roll on fairways and undulating greens!!
Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Good thread to read.

My take away from the outcome is sympathy for Dustin Johnson. It was hard to watch someone LOSE by three putting from 12(ish) feet.

He will recover as he is a great player, but it has to hurt, when he is alone in retrospection.
Yea, I never like to see a tournament where someone loses it as opposed to someone winning. I really feel for Dustin Johnson. I was happy to see Jordan Speith win, but I would rather have seen him make eagle on the last hole or win in a Monday playoff.

It was the equivalent of Phil putting on his dunce cap and handing the title to Geoff Ogilvy at Winged Foot in 2006.

Than being said, it was one of the most entertaining, exciting and dramatic finishes of any US Open that I've seen in years. At least six different people had a chance at some point. McIlroy, Oosthuizen, Grace, Johnson, Scott and Speith and had a chance until the final few holes.

Even Brandt Snedeker and Cameron Smith were in the mix with outside chances.

I was sorry to see Jason Day shoot himself out of it so early. What a story that would have been. Every time he appeared on the screen, all I could do was wonder if he was going to keel over. What an amazing story.

In spite of my misgivings about the golf course, this was exactly what a US Open should be. This is exactly why I love watching this tournament every year.

Much better than the snooze fest provider by Martin Kaymer last year. Nothing against Martin, he's a great player and a well deserved champion, it's just that when one guy runs away with a tournament and there is very little doubt about the winner going into the final round, it is not all that entertaining to watch. Unless it is someone making history like Tiger did in 2000 at Pebble Beach.

I love seeing history being made and that's one of the things that made Jordan's victory so special yesterday. He is now one of six men in history to have won both The Masters and US Open in the same year. He now has a chance for the elusive Grand Slam which would truly mark his place in the history of golf.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I really felt sorry for DJ after he three putted...until I saw wife. I think he'll be OK tonight.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I really felt sorry for DJ after he three putted...until I saw wife. I think he'll be OK tonight.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Good Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Yea, I never like to see a tournament where someone loses it as opposed to someone winning. I really feel for Dustin Johnson. I was happy to see Jordan Speith win, but I would rather have seen him make eagle on the last hole or win in a Monday playoff.

It was the equivalent of Phil putting on his dunce cap and handing the title to Geoff Ogilvy at Winged Foot in 2006.

Than being said, it was one of the most entertaining, exciting and dramatic finishes of any US Open that I've seen in years. At least six different people had a chance at some point. McIlroy, Oosthuizen, Grace, Johnson, Scott and Speith and had a chance until the final few holes.

Even Brandt Snedeker and Cameron Smith were in the mix with outside chances.

I was sorry to see Jason Day shoot himself out of it so early. What a story that would have been. Every time he appeared on the screen, all I could do was wonder if he was going to keel over. What an amazing story.

In spite of my misgivings about the golf course, this was exactly what a US Open should be. This is exactly why I love watching this tournament every year.

Much better than the snooze fest provider by Martin Kaymer last year. Nothing against Martin, he's a great player and a well deserved champion, it's just that when one guy runs away with a tournament and there is very little doubt about the winner going into the final round, it is not all that entertaining to watch. Unless it is someone making history like Tiger did in 2000 at Pebble Beach.

I love seeing history being made and that's one of the things that made Jordan's victory so special yesterday. He is now one of six men in history to have won both The Masters and US Open in the same year. He now has a chance for the elusive Grand Slam which would truly mark his place in the history of golf.
Good comments regarding the Tournment. My wife and I had seriously thought about going but with her knee replacement it became out of the question. The best seat was in front of your television. The spectators I'm sure had a tough time following the action and the terrain made it difficult to follow any group around the golf course. But it was very nice in front of our 55" screen!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:49 AM

Impressive patience exhibited by most of the golfers. Sad for live spectators. It probably accomplished the goals of sponsors and promoters, including TV coverage. I found myself watching it more than I normally would have, but not for all the right reasons. It was mostly because I couldn't help myself --similar to not being able to avoid the stare at an accident scene.
Closed Thread

Tags
open, british, year, rough, feel, golf, courses, greens, watching, links, drama, years, watch, american, kaymer, usga, long, back, tournament, make, majors, narrow, fairways, fast, holes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.