Attack Dog

Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Gold member

Please remember that no dog is born agressive and mean. Owners are responsible to train and socialize their pets. I love dogs and have never owned one that would bite anyone unless they were threaten or hurt in some way. The behavior of your pets says a lot about who you are.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
\The Villages is not built to have large dogs. The land area we own, it's just not fair to the dogs. So please stop buying new dogs once you arrive.

IMO, this is part of the post that got people worked up. I don't think the OP really meant it (forgive me for interpreting if I am nnot right), I think he was just traumatized, as I now I would have been if it had happened to me. He was spreking from that fear. Had the original attack part of the story been told WITHOUT that part many of the subsequent posters wouldn't have added their comments. My dogs are 30- inches at the shoulders and routinely go to nursing homes to see Hospice patients or are around many people at educational events or Read to the Therapy Dog. You can't use one brush to paint all big dogs. As long as I'm able to walk I can't see myself having a dog I have to bend down to pet. That's one of the reasons we chose TV. And all small dogs aren't automatically safe either. We met a Pomeranian that ran up to my Great Pyrenees and attached itself to my dogs throat and had to be pried off. I think what we can all agree on is that all dogs need an owner in control who respects the rights and space of others.
Lovesthose, I agree with you totally. OP, you have to expect some negative reaction due to your comment at the end of your post. I believe everyone is in agreement that you were a victim. A few people overreacted in a mean-spirited way, but I see nothing wrong with people pointing out that big dogs are not the problem, owners are, and your position that big dogs should not be allowed in TV was harsh and unfair.

I still hope we can find these dogs' owner and turn him in. To the person with the idea of taking a car ride over there, go for it, and hope you find something.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't own a dog. I have only had two dogs in my life. I don't think there is an OVERabundance of dogs here, Maybe an abundance. People love their dogs and their dogs make them happy.

I think The Villages is as close to perfect as anyone can make a place where about 90,000 old farts, some of them danged cranky all live together. Everyone KNOWS I love this place. It was recently posted that a very nice person who I respect mightily is truly afraid of all dogs. I think that may be the case in some dog posting situations, that people are afraid of dogs.

The OP posted that he was attacked and I know that all of us agree that we are indeed happy that he or his wife were not bitten. Dogs DO bite and dogs should not be running around unleashed. I reread my post and stood up for large dogs. Some dogs who used to walk their owners in Hadley, our old neighborhood, were Great Danes, Jack Sparrow was one of the two and they were REALLY big dogs but really just little puppy spirits. Sweet and nice.

Let's not get all mad at each other when all we do is talk way too much on here sometimes and kind of pick at things until they bleed.

This was NOT meant directed at you Red Chariot with the New Jersey EDGE...I kind of love the New Jersey edge and the fact too, that Jersey girls don't pump gas. We Ohio girls do. But...our corn and tomatoes are better than New Jersey corn and tomatoes.

OOOOOOPs.

Last edited by Moderator; 08-31-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Removed quoted post that has been deleted
Old 08-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Gold member

Well if those dogs had attacked me like that I’d a pulled out my trusty pepper spray and fired off a couple of quick blasts -------- At the owner, not the dogs!!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
Well if those dogs had attacked me like that I’d a pulled out my trusty pepper spray and fired off a couple of quick blasts -------- At the owner, not the dogs!!
See? Something good has come out of this thread. I think I need some pepper spray for when I'm on the walking trails. I never thought of pepper spray.

You may have been joking, EdVinMass, but it's a good idea to have some.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Platinum member
Default Pepper Spray

Amazon.com carries a good pepper spray for $7.35. It comes in hot pink for the ladies, and has a key chain attached. I'm always glad to have mine. Click on this icon for the link.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Compact-Pepper-Spray-Pink/dp/B001CZ9MRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346436527&sr=8-1&keywords=mace]Amazon.com: SABRE RED Compact Pepper Spray with Pink Key Case: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	pepper spray.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	4514  

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

Golf21, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, that must have been very scary for both of you. Your description of the dogs sounds very familiar to me. I recently saw a guy with two large unleashed dogs walking along the cart path and grassy areas on the south side of 466a. I was driving my car at the time, so I didn't get a real good look at them, especially the man. Being a dog owner, I was more focused on the dogs and was worried that they might run into the street. But as soon as I read your description, I immediately saw those dogs in my mind's eye and I think the ones I saw looked very much like the ones who attacked you. My point is, this may not be an isolated incident with this guy (walking his dogs unleashed). I would suggest that everyone traveling in that area keep an eye out and that they call the authorities if they see this guy and his dogs. perhaps even snap a photo, if possible. I don't agree with letting dogs off leash, but even so, I wouldn't normally bother to report it. However if I see dogs that fit your description, I will certainly report them.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Amazon.com carries a good pepper spray for $7.35. It comes in hot pink for the ladies, and has a key chain attached. I'm always glad to have mine. Click on this icon for the link.
Amazon.com: SABRE RED Compact Pepper Spray with Pink Key Case: Sports & Outdoors
Thanks, Quirky. I'm gonna get me some.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

The shame of all this is that the dog owner let them off the leash. He may not have realized they would chase a golf cart, they may be totally well-behaved dogs that aren't accustomed to golf carts.

My dogs have gotten loose, it happens, it has happened exactly three times and all three times I have lost my mind with fear. Fear that they would get hit by a car, not return or be attacked by another animal. I acknowledge that when they got loose they wouldn't come when called, they were too busy doing their "happy dance" down the road.

I hope the owner learned from this and will control his animals before they get pepper sprayed.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Default attacking dogs

Just one more reply to this thread as I have to get this off my chest. I have a 7 pound chihuahua who thinks he is a Great Dane. ( Please Great Dane lovers, I love Great Danes, this is just an example) I take him on his late afternoon walks so that he may relieve himself. (too much info!) Anyway, I walk him to this wooded area in our neighborhood that is perfect for these hot afternoon summers. It is located in Springdale. It is perfect for summer walks as it is shaded and not too hot. I continuously run into dog owners that have their dogs off leash. When I tell them that there is a leash law they say "oh my dog is so friendly, there is no problem" and I tell them that my dog thinks there IS a problem, he isn't so friendly and can cause your dog to become aggressive just by his behavior. My dog gets very intimidated by other dogs even if they are friendly and tends to let the other dog know that he is tough, even though he is not. It is the nature of small dogs who think they are big. Now before someone tells me I have to train my dog not to be aggressive towards other dogs, I have had him in so much training that we all are scratching our heads. He just is a very small easily intimidated dog who does what most small dogs do when they feel threatened even though they are not being threatened. Anyway, everyone, KEEP YOUR DOGS ON LEASH AND BE IN CONTROL OF THEM AT ALL TIMES. I don't think that is too much too ask. Why do some people feel they don't have to follow the law?

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Amazon.com: SABRE RED Compact Pepper Spray with Pink Key Case: Sports & Outdoors
and if you are a guy the pink may just make the dog roll over and laugh
Old 09-01-2012, 04:49 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

Because some people think they are above the laws and laws don't apply to them for some reason??? Let those dogs bite just one time..a small dog, big dog, small child, a big child, once they get the taste of blood..that's all it takes. Wise up..dogs are after all dogs and training or no training, a dog off a lease is just that a DOG with dog traits, not a good little family child..i had baby goats on my property, the neighbors 3 dogs who were pretty well behaved nice family pet dogs got into our yard and chased my baby goats until we woke up from the noise at 3 am. too late for one of the baby's as the dogs ripped it's head from it's body as the mother stood under the horses and watched in horror. SHe cried for days for her baby, so heartbreaking. Once they got the taste of blood they kept coming back for more..They went into the blue parrot campground and tore into their goat pen as well killed the pets in the pen GOATS...BE smart pet owners..if you are going to have a pet..abide by the laws..hate to say it but...the gun was always locked and loaded after that incident...hate to have to do it but if they came back onto property...they were not going to leave my property..sheriff said do what you have to do to protect your animals and family..meanwhile...the owners of the dogs had to pay all kinds of fines and dogs were classified as mean dogs...remember a dog is a dog a child is a child ...ok off my soapbox now.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Sage

Babbs455. I am so sorry that you had to witness and endure that. That is awful. I had a friend who lived next door to a couple pits and they got into his yard while he was gone. They got his rabbit. He swore if they came in again, he would shoot them. They did and ripped into his very capable rottweiler. The dog survived although quite debilitated and his leg had to be taken off. He did shoot the both of them. When you have an animal living next door to you that you know is capable of that, it makes it very hard to ever relax on your own property again. Again, I am so sorry. Frankly, dogs that have become "undomesticated" should not be allowed any longer to have the title or accompanying privlege of "pet". I come from one town over from where a woman kept a "domesticated" chimpanzee..you probably heard the story...and it tore her friend to pieces one day. A dog that is that predatorial is not different. There are enough dogs that are proper pets being euthanized every day that need homes that a dog that has the instinct to kill or maim needs to be put down.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Babbs and Shcisamax have made good points.

Most people here in TV that have dogs are respectful of others rights and property, but some are not. To those that are not I say that just like your children, your pets shouldn't be bothering other people, ever.

It is the sense that some people have that what they want and need supersedes what others around them want and need that causes the difficulty.

I love to see people happy with their pets, it fills their lives in good ways. I love our cats and understand a person caring deeply about their animals. But I knew when we were raising our real kids, that if they didn't behave respectfully and stay within certain perimeters, other people wouldn't like them or enjoy them. I wanted that positive feeling from others for our kids.

The same goes for our animals. It is indeed unfortunate that some people will always be selfish. It makes it a lot less nice for all of us.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-01-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Sage

BTW: Did anyone ever figure out exactly where those dogs were that chased the OP? I took a ride down behind Bradenton and got lost...thought, "Gee, I hope those dogs don't come out because I wouldn't be able to find my way out of here"

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.