Dog Park Poll

View Poll Results: Do you want more dog parks in The Villages?
Yes, at least two more. One in Marion, one in Sumter County. 45 72.58%
Yes, as above with the addition of a Training Facility located near Paradise Dog Park. 5 8.06%
I only want a training facility. 0 0%
No. 12 19.35%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Smile Dog Park Poll

Thanks for all your help in my plea for a vote for the dog park issue. I wasn't aware I could create a "poll". I hope I'm doing this right.

The question is: Do you want a minimum of three community dog parks in TV? Two more parks would be constructed in like to Paradise Dog Park. One would be located in Marion County and one in Sumter County.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Default What will it cost us/me? Also...

Still not sure how I feel about dog parks. I tend to side with Ceasar on this issue. I love the dogs, but many times the owners border on neurotic. It's not easy to allow the dogs to get to know each other, the way that dogs would in real life. The slightest snap, or gruff between two dogs, and the owners go ballistic, swoop up their precious little angels, and usually go into a rant, upsetting not just the immediate two in the encounter, but the entire population. So......, if it costs one dime, then no. Not interested.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Default dogpark poll

Yes from a two dog household. Two dog parks on site would be great.
Phila. PA from
Boston Ma from
Danbury CT.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Default What Will It Cost me/us?

Thanks for your question. At this point there have been no discussions regarding cost to use the dog parks. There is no fee to use Paradise and it seems reasonable that there will be no fee for additional parks in Marion and Sumter County.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Gold member
Default Rdog

Maybe we could set-up some kind of a reservations system, that could be accessed from the Internet. Owners could see what dogs will be there at what time. They will be able to meet there favorite friends (both owners and dogs). This could be possible at a low price of maybe $8 per month - maybe combined with the golf tee time system at a reduced rate.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Can someone elabrate more on the Training facility...what would this be comprised of and/or its purpose?? HOw would it function?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Still not sure how I feel about dog parks. The slightest snap, or gruff between two dogs, and the owners go ballistic, swoop up their precious little angels, and usually go into a rant, upsetting not just the immediate two in the encounter, but the entire population.
John, if a dog snaps or bites, in my experience it is a warning that the dog hasn't been socialized and doesn't want to play with other dogs.

At Doggie Doo Run Run, aggressive dogs that cause fights are banned. In twelve months at DDRR, I have only seen one aggressive dog. I assume most dog owners know very well if their dog is socialized and enjoys playing with other dogs.

Most dogs at DDRR play together without any problems. Sometimes there are 30 or more dogs there at one time. There are two separate areas at DDRR and at Paradise Park. One for dogs under 30 lbs and large dogs aren't allowed there. And one for dogs over 30 lbs. My 10 lb dog prefers to play with large dogs in "over 30 lb area" and that is allowed.

There is chasing and play growling and wrestling. All part of normal dog play. Very different from a dog that snaps or bites.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Default Training Facilities

Hi 784 Caroline,

Unfortunately I cannot give you specifics on what such a facility looks like. I do know it involves a covered, protected area with a hard flooring. You may want to call Sharon Starke: 259-8021. Sharon is the President of Dynamic Dog Club of The Villages and is proposing such a facility.

Karen
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM

Good one. That's funny. You had me going there for a moment or two!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Default Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Maybe we could set-up some kind of a reservations system, that could be accessed from the Internet. Owners could see what dogs will be there at what time. They will be able to meet there favorite friends (both owners and dogs). This could be possible at a low price of maybe $8 per month - maybe combined with the golf tee time system at a reduced rate.
Good one. You had me going there for a few moments.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to ptsnyd

I would love a dog park in Sumter near 466A
We go to the Lady Lake Dog Park on the corner of Rolling Acres and 466
and live in the Village of Hadley. We love the Lady Lake Park however
With 2 Dogs it's a long way to go on a golf cart
Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Default A quick question

Hello Barefoot. I have a question for you. I have a beautiful German Shephard who has not been socialized due to the fact ....that we do not have any dog runs in my neighborhood up here in Michigan.
We have bought a home in Duval...and will be moving down to TV in July. How do I go about get her socialized. She is a great dog and very nice around humans. However, I don't know if I can trust her around other dogs. Need some advice....Thanks Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
John, if a dog snaps or bites, in my experience it is a warning that the dog hasn't been socialized and doesn't want to play with other dogs.

At Doggie Doo Run Run, aggressive dogs that cause fights are banned. In twelve months at DDRR, I have only seen one aggressive dog. I assume most dog owners know very well if their dog is socialized and enjoys playing with other dogs.

Most dogs at DDRR play together without any problems. Sometimes there are 30 or more dogs there at one time. There are two separate areas at DDRR and at Paradise Park. One for dogs under 30 lbs and large dogs aren't allowed there. And one for dogs over 30 lbs. My 10 lb dog prefers to play with large dogs in "over 30 lb area" and that is allowed.

There is chasing and play growling and wrestling. All part of normal dog play. Very different from a dog that snaps or bites.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM

I have the same question. Although Cavaliers are very friendly and gentle dogs dont know how he would be with a real live dog other than his brother.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Dancing Thyme

I'll tell you from personal experience. The youngest schnauzer didn't do well. He was in all the big dogs faces not understanding how to be social and stop acting like a puppy. This frustrated me so much that I put him on a leash, kinda opposite of what was supposed to happen. So that's the last time he's going to DDRR. I could use some advice about how to socialize him.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Sage

Oh that adorable Sammy! How can you get upset with a face like his?????

I have the same problem Kath. My 2 dogs want nothing to do with the others in the dog park. I see the others playing and having a grand ol time and my two are totally unsocial.

Are there any dog socialization experts out there that have some advice? I cant even get my 2 to move unless I walk with them!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.