walkin' the dog

Old 09-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
i don't know about love2cruise, but i do know that the villages is not paying the property taxes on the easement on my property!
No they are not, but guess what - it's theirs. Probably have the same easement on the sides and rear of your property. Such is life. The man is always in control when you live in a development. Not saying it's good or bad just sayin it is so.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

Here's just one more thought I had regarding walking my dogs. One is 3 pounds and the other is 6. They both tinkle at home but, as I said before they love to mark their way around the neighborhood, drops at a time. Here's the thought. Have you ever put your hand down on the street on a hot day? I do this every time I walk the dogs. Some times it is so hot you can fry an egg there. You wouldn't walk barefoot on the pavement and I won't walk tiny dogs there either. As I also said before, if I or my dogs damage anything on your property, I will have it repaired. It's just grass, folks!

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
Here's just one more thought I had regarding walking my dogs. One is 3 pounds and the other is 6. They both tinkle at home but, as I said before they love to mark their way around the neighborhood, drops at a time. Here's the thought. Have you ever put your hand down on the street on a hot day? I do this every time I walk the dogs. Some times it is so hot you can fry an egg there. You wouldn't walk barefoot on the pavement and I won't walk tiny dogs there either. As I also said before, if I or my dogs damage anything on your property, I will have it repaired. It's just grass, folks!
You're correct, the road is often too hot for a dogs paws. That's why we walk our dogs early in the morning or in the evening on hot days. This eliminates any necessity of my dogs trespassing on the property of others.
As Skybo points out, the easement does not tranfer ownership of that section of your property. It simply gives a right of way for specific purposes such as utilities. The property belongs to the homeowner. It's probably not advisable to go to your lawn guy for legal advice.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default My Pet Peeve

I have to say that I'm amazed and perplexed that anyone would allow their dog to tresspass on their neighbor's property. I realize that it's a dog's nature to sniff the scent of other dogs so why not go to open areas where they can walk and sniff to their heart's content and stay off the hot pavement at the same time. It's not whether or not it ruins the grass, it's trespassing, I watched a woman allow her dog to go up to a flower bed and pee on the rose bush. What is the mentality behind that, is it a sense of entitlement?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I have never seen a dog in the Villages with diapers on like this.
My neighbor has a little dog who is older. He wears a doggie diaper because he sometimes has accidents in the house. It just wraps around him and prevents the owners from having to get their carpet cleaned from accidents.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
You're correct, the road is often too hot for a dogs paws. That's why we walk our dogs early in the morning or in the evening on hot days. This eliminates any necessity of my dogs trespassing on the property of others.
As Skybo points out, the easement does not tranfer ownership of that section of your property. It simply gives a right of way for specific purposes such as utilities. The property belongs to the homeowner. It's probably not advisable to go to your lawn guy for legal advice.
Ok this is getting ridicules, who said anything about getting legal advice from a lawn person. I only said that is what I was told. Geez I thought I was getting away from old crabby people, moving to the friendliest place on earth. Guess I was wrong. As if all of you are perfect in everything you do. I'm sure not one of you ever do anything that would upset your neighbors. I'm glad there are so many perfect people, but not if you walk your dog and it happens to lift its leg on grass. Get a life! As I said before its grass, not a Persian rug.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2cruise View Post
To answer your question, as long as the dog owner picks up after their dog I don't care. And as far as pee spots, I have yet to find one on our lawn, and my dog does pee in our yard.

This reminds me of an old lady when I was a kid and when we walked home from school if we touched a blade of her grass she would come out and yell at us. I thought then as I do now, it's only grass!

My outlook on life is, don't sweat the small stuff, and if it's not life threatening, it's small stuff!

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Enjoy the rest of you summer and safe travels back to TV.
But it's my lawn you're not sweating! And that's not small stuff to me. I don't want yellow spots all along my easement. Lucky for you your dog's urine doesn't kill the grass, but lots of dogs' do.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Granted, I think we can all agree that dogs, no matter what the size, need to be walked and exercised. We have places for that in the Villages called doggie parks. Daily buisness should be done on your own property. I played golf on Southern Star last week and found dog feces on four of nine holes. You can't even walk behind the Pennecamp Pool because it has become a dog walk where folks just let their animals do their business and deposit the feces in the garbage receptacles. The volume of dog urination in that area has killed most of the grass and now all you see is dollar weed and red clover. I own a dog owner, and I considered all the options of providing a comfortable environment for my pet before moving here. To allow damage to our common areas or our neighbor's yards is not in line with this being the friendliest hometown ever. We can all make this a better place by respecting each other. Like everything else in this world, a few people abuse the system, and then before you know it, it gets out of control because it is human nature that if it is okay for one, it is okay for all and then wow, we have a huge problem.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Granted, I think we can all agree that dogs, no matter what the size, need to be walked and exercised. We have places for that in the Villages called doggie parks. Daily buisness should be done on your own property. I played golf on Southern Star last week and found dog feces on four of nine holes. You can't even walk behind the Pennecamp Pool because it has become a dog walk where folks just let their animals do their business and deposit the feces in the garbage receptacles. The volume of dog urination in that area has killed most of the grass and now all you see is dollar weed and red clover. I own a dog owner, and I considered all the options of providing a comfortable environment for my pet before moving here. To allow damage to our common areas or our neighbor's yards is not in line with this being the friendliest hometown ever. We can all make this a better place by respecting each other. Like everything else in this world, a few people abuse the system, and then before you know it, it gets out of control because it is human nature that if it is okay for one, it is okay for all and then wow, we have a huge problem.
Sounds like Pennecamp needs a dog park.

Lots of Lynnhaven dog owners walk their pooches near the Lynnhaven pool and there are no dead spots from where dogs pee there. Most of the people walking the dogs at the Lynnhaven pool also clean up after their pets. Some even clean up poop from other dogs if they have extra bags. I have done this myself. I do think trash belongs in a trash bin. There are trash bins at the postal areas so people should be able to put their dog poop in these receptacles unless they make them only for recycling. Garbage smells. You do not have to stand near garbage cans.

I do not buy the slippery slope argument when it comes to dog poop and pee. Most of the people in the Villages look out for other people and do not seem to mind dealing with life's realities when it comes to having neighbors who have pets.

Poop and pee from dogs is a serious problem in some cities like San Francisco and New York City where there is often very little in terms of a sense of community. I just do not see those kinds of attitudes so much in the Villages.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Fisherman;551310]Granted, I think we can all agree that dogs, no matter what the size, need to be walked and exercised. We have places for that in the Villages called doggie parks. [QUOTE]

I love TV. I think the Developer's vision for a paradise for retirees has been flawless. With one huge exception.

With 50,000 families living in TV at Build Out, with a potential of two dogs per household, that's 100,000 dogs. Of course, it may be only 30% of residents that own pooches, but that is still one heck of a lot of pets! There are currently only THREE dog parks in TV that are provided by the Developer. No wonder dog owners are finding it difficult to find convenient places to walk their dogs. If there were more dog parks, people wouldn't be using the Mail Stations.

Before you throw rotten tomatoes at me, we drive our dogs daily to a private dog park, which is not golf cart accessible, and we pay to use it. However, not everyone is willing to do that, and the Mail Stations are close and convenient. In my humble opinion, The Villages definitely needs more dog parks!!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Platinum member

Barefoot, I can see where you're "coming from", but there are two sides to every story. I own indoor cats, and I would not expect other residents to pay for their kitty litter or play areas/toys. I love dogs for sure. But TV is set up fairly so that only golfers pay extra for golf, only fitness people pay extra for that, and if TV dog parks were run that way, I would be fine with it. If they want all residents to pay for extra new dog parks and the related maintenance, it doesn't seem fair to me compared with the way the other amenities are charged.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Sage

The amenity fee covers different things that many people never use. It would seem natural if dogs are a part of TV to provide a place for the dogs to go. Would make a lot of people happy...those that have and those that have not.

Last edited by shcisamax; 09-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Barefoot, I can see where you're "coming from", but there are two sides to every story. But TV is set up fairly so that only golfers pay extra for golf, only fitness people pay extra for that, and if TV dog parks were run that way, I would be fine with it. If they want all residents to pay for extra new dog parks and the related maintenance, it doesn't seem fair to me compared with the way the other amenities are charged.
I see your point Quirky. But the Amenity fee we all pay monthly pays for a selection of many things that residents selectively use. I don't golf or play pickleball or use the pools or take zumba or play pool. But I have no problem that Amenity fees provide these options for other residents' pleasure.
Since dog walking seems to be a hugely contentious issue, it seems that more TV dog parks would make both dog lovers and dog haters happy.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I see your point Quirky. But the Amenity fee we all pay monthly pays for a selection of many things that residents selectively use. I don't golf or play pickleball or use the pools or take zumba or play pool. But I have no problem that Amenity fees provide these options for other residents' pleasure.
Since dog walking seems to be a hugely contentious issue, it seems that more TV dog parks would make both dog lovers and dog haters happy.
even if the villages had more dog parks - how would we train the dog owners to take their dogs there?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
even if the villages had more dog parks - how would we train the dog owners to take their dogs there?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.