walkin' the dog

Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I am always dismayed when I read that those that don't want someone's pet doing their "thing" on their property being classed as dog haters. I, and I think most others, don't hate dogs. I just don't think your dog has a right to use my lawn or shrubs as a toilet, whether there is damage or not. If I want the property I paid for to be free of dog pee or poop, that is my decision, not someone else's. You may think your dog is doing no harm, and that may be true. But the next dog, and the ones after that, who sniff the first "mark" have to mark also, and so on, and so on.

My dog never was allowed on anyone's property, even to sniff, because I couldn't be sure she would decide to leave a calling card or not.

With regards to more dog parks, I doubt it would have any great effect on this. Those that allow their pets to use the postal stations or neighbors lawns would probably think transporting the dog to a dog park to be inconvenient, and still use the postal stations and neighborhood landscaping.
Excellent post!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Sage

Quote:

With regards to more dog parks, I doubt it would have any great effect on this. Those that allow their pets to use the postal stations or neighbors lawns would probably think transporting the dog to a dog park to be inconvenient, and still use the postal stations and neighborhood landscaping.
The Villages allows two dogs per household. Dogs need more exercise than walking in circles in the back yard. I'd like to think that that people would go to dog parks if they were handy in The Villages, and not use the postal stations and neighborhood landscaping.

My point of view is supported by the fact that the private dog park on CR 101 has thousands of members that pay for the pleasure of using the park. It makes me believe that most owners are responsible, and that we should be optimistically searching for credible options for dog walkers.

Or we can just keep complaining. After 90 posts on this thread, and umteen threads on the topics of dogs, why don't we try to find some solutions?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Thank you Blue Dog and Keeping it Real!!! I agree w/you both 100%. When we had a dog (here in TV) we had an invisible fence and he used OUR yard ONLY. As a result we had no grass in the back where he "went". We would not have dreamed of allowing our dog to relieve himself on anyone's yard because we know the damage it can do.

What really irks me is when I'm out in our front yard working on the landscaping or mowing and a "neighbor" walks their dog and allows it to urinate on our grass or landscape plantings WHILE I'M WATCHING. Talk about brazen and RUDE! Sorry...this is one of my biggest gripes.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,362 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
The Villages allows two dogs per household. Dogs need more exercise than walking in circles in the back yard. I'd like to think that that people would go to dog parks if they were handy in The Villages, and not use the postal stations and neighborhood landscaping.

My point of view is supported by the fact that the private dog park on CR 101 has thousands of members that pay for the pleasure of using the park. It makes me believe that most owners are responsible, and that we should be optimistically searching for credible options for dog walkers.

Or we can just keep complaining. After 90 posts on this thread, and umteen threads on the topics of dogs, why don't we try to find some solutions?
Good post, barefoot.

The people who are so adamant about dogs not peeing on their lawns would probably be better suited to a community that allowed fences on the front yards.

My dog took off a few evening ago chasing one of the three or four feral cats we have in out immediate neighborhood. We also have a family of rabbits, ducks that hatch their young in the neighbors bushes each year, and a family of opossum. Have not seen the opossum for a good time.

Unless my dog is always on the leash in our background I cannot control him from not chasing the various critters.

I try to keep him on the leash more often because of all the local wildlife.

This local wildlife also pees and poops in various lawns including our own.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Good post, barefoot.

The people who are so adamant about dogs not peeing on their lawns would probably be better suited to a community that allowed fences on the front yards.

My dog took off a few evening ago chasing one of the three or four feral cats we have in out immediate neighborhood. We also have a family of rabbits, ducks that hatch their young in the neighbors bushes each year, and a family of opossum. Have not seen the opossum for a good time.

Unless my dog is always on the leash in our background I cannot control him from not chasing the various critters.

I try to keep him on the leash more often because of all the local wildlife.

This local wildlife also pees and poops in various lawns including our own.
Are we now down to either tolerate dogs on your lawn or move? Really?

Sure the dog park has many subscribers. The vast majority of dog owners are responsible. It's those who don't respect others' property that cause these threads to appear.

I cannot control the wildlife around here, but they are not required by law to be on a leash and under owner's control when outside their property. And I understand that dogs will chase wildlife. But this topic is about domestic pets being allowed by their human owner to enter private property and urinating/defecating on that property without permission. To me, it's the height of chutzpah to assume your dog can use my property as a toilet and I should accept that or leave TV.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Are we now down to either tolerate dogs on your lawn or move? Really?

Sure the dog park has many subscribers. The vast majority of dog owners are responsible. It's those who don't respect others' property that cause these threads to appear.

I cannot control the wildlife around here, but they are not required by law to be on a leash and under owner's control when outside their property. And I understand that dogs will chase wildlife. But this topic is about domestic pets being allowed by their human owner to enter private property and urinating/defecating on that property without permission. To me, it's the height of chutzpah to assume your dog can use my property as a toilet and I should accept that or leave TV.
You cannot really control dogs peeing and pooping on your lawn either. Unless you want to bring police and lawyers into this mess and I sincerely doubt that the developers would want this kind of publicity for the Villages.

There are bad neighbors everywhere.

Maybe, try explaining to those people you see who let their dogs pee or poop or YOUR lawn the problem you have with it.

You certainly are not going to convince people to not allow their dogs to take walks simply by postings hundreds if not thousands of complaints about dog poop and pee on TOTV.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Platinum member
Talking

This is a sad thread.
It does not fix with all I hear about TV
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
You cannot really control dogs peeing and pooping on your lawn either. Unless you want to bring police and lawyers into this mess and I sincerely doubt that the developers would want this kind of publicity for the Villages.

There are bad neighbors everywhere.

Maybe, try explaining to those people you see who let their dogs pee or poop or YOUR lawn the problem you have with it.

You certainly are not going to convince people to not allow their dogs to take walks simply by postings hundreds if not thousands of complaints about dog poop and pee on TOTV.
I have an idea Taltarzac for you and others who see no problem with your front lawn becoming a doggie rest area. Why don't you post your addresses so we can all take our dogs to your lawns. You won't mind will you? Maybe you can leave a few bags out by the street so that those who forget may pick up their doggie leavings. I realize signs aren't permitted outside in TV so maybe a discreet notice in your front window letting your neighbors know that your lawn is a designated doggie area would be helpful as well.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Are we now down to either tolerate dogs on your lawn or move? To me, it's the height of chutzpah to assume your dog can use my property as a toilet and I should accept that or leave TV.
Oh goodness, I don't think anyone has suggested that you move! Perhaps I missed that post. I also missed the posts where members said they should be able to use your property as a toilet.

Come on gentle readers. You know that most people in TV with dogs are friendly, responsible and caring people. I think you're talking about a tiny fraction of homeowners here. And it's probably the same people that let their ten year old grand kids race their golf carts. A few dog owners are selfish and uncaring. Most are kind and conscientious.

The answer is more dog parks. But I'm leaving the pulpit now because the church is empty.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
I have an idea Taltarzac for you and others who see no problem with your front lawn becoming a doggie rest area. Why don't you post your addresses so we can all take our dogs to your lawns. You won't mind will you? Maybe you can leave a few bags out by the street so that those who forget may pick up their doggie leavings. I realize signs aren't permitted outside in TV so maybe a discreet notice in your front window letting your neighbors know that your lawn is a designated doggie area would be helpful as well.
Dogs being walked pee and poop on our front yard every once in a while. I do not see it as being much of a problem as there has been no damage done to the lawn. If I see someone doing damage to the lawn by whatever, I would go out and talk to THEM. Not complain incessantly on TOTV about it.

I usually take my dog to the Doggie Doo Run Run local dog park to do his business. He goes other places at other times.

You people sure are passionate about poop.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Sage

Regarding:

Quote:
I am always dismayed when I read that those that don't want someone's pet doing their "thing" on their property being classed as dog haters. I, and I think most others, don't hate dogs. I just don't think your dog has a right to use my lawn or shrubs as a toilet, whether there is damage or not. If I want the property I paid for to be free of dog pee or poop, that is my decision, not someone else's.
Great post! This society's growing disrespect for other people's property, and ownership of it, is permeating everything.

Worse yet, kids and grandchildren see this attitude and adopt it as their own, and this rudeness becomes the norm.

The next time you see an obnoxious, undisciplined little kid in the store grabbing things off the shelf and yelling "MINE"....."It's MINE!"......think of "adults" walking their dog and using your yard as a toilet saying "Mine! Mine!"

Nobody is entitled to somebody else's property to use as a dog toilet!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Regarding:

Great post! This society's growing disrespect for other people's property, and ownership of it, is permeating everything.

Worse yet, kids and grandchildren see this attitude and adopt it as their own, and this rudeness becomes the norm.

The next time you see an obnoxious, undisciplined little kid in the store grabbing things off the shelf and yelling "MINE"....."It's MINE!"......think of "adults" walking their dog and using your yard as a toilet saying "Mine! Mine!"

Nobody is entitled to somebody else's property to use as a dog toilet!!!

Growing disrespect for private property? I wonder what the streets of Tombstone looked like in 1881 when the Clantons were battling the Earps? I will bet that walk had various poop in the street. Especially horse poop. Lots of dog poop too.

The point is that the Villages has very few fences. You just cannot control a dog on a walk at all times. It is just not possible.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
The point is that the Villages has very few fences. You just cannot control a dog on a walk at all times. It is just not possible.
More dog parks, she said in a whisper. But no-one was listening.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:

Tal, are you saying that when walking a dog on a leash, it is not always possible to keep the dog under control and off someone's lawn? To me, for that to be true, it is either a dog that is too strong for the owner, or an owner that is not paying attention or doesn't care. I guess I just don't understand the reasoning that it is fine to allow pets to wander on anyone's property and they shouldn't have any say in it.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Tal, are you saying that when walking a dog on a leash, it is not always possible to keep the dog under control and off someone's lawn? To me, for that to be true, it is either a dog that is too strong for the owner, or an owner that is not paying attention or doesn't care. I guess I just don't understand the reasoning that it is fine to allow pets to wander on anyone's property and they shouldn't have any say in it.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.