We need your support

Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Eternal Member
Default Where did Dog parks originate?

Simple question. In my 50 years of dogs I have never heard of a dog park. Where did these originate? And who bought their dogs to them?

I have had at least eight dogs (small and large - mostly large) and have always kept them in their own yard. They always got along together. When my brother-in-law brought his dog over, I asked him to please keep him away from my dogs since they did not like strange dogs.

When I moved here, the neighbor down the street put in an invisible fence. When me and Bart walked past the house and we were on the other side of the street, these two dogs went through the invisible fence and attacked Bart. I dragged him away so he would not harm these dogs. I really wanted to drop kick these dog back into their yard for attacking him ... but I didn't.

What is to prevent these dogs running around without a leash from doing this to other dogs? The little yippers and yappers are the worst of the bunch for attacking other dogs. I would not want to have to be on the alert for dog fights.

And if any of you think that these dogs are wrestling with each other, I have ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

What is the appeal of a dog park?

Please enlighten me.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Simple question. In my 50 years of dogs I have never heard of a dog park. Where did these originate?

Z

From the same place and from the same people who brought us "play dates" for small children.

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
What is the appeal of a dog park? Please enlighten me. Z
When you have young children, it is fun to take them to the playground and watch them playing and enjoying their friends.

I know, I know, dogs aren't children. But it is fun to take our fur babies to the dog park and watch them playing and enjoying their friends.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
when you have young children, it is fun to take them to the playground and watch them playing and enjoying their friends.

I know, i know, dogs aren't children. But it is fun to take our fur babies to the dog park and watch them playing and enjoying their friends.
omg!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Does this mean that everytime a dog has to do his business he would be taken to the dog park? I doubt that.
I doubt that also. Of course every single dog won't be taken to a dog park daily .. no matter how conveniently placed the dog parks are.

Hopefully dogs primarily do their "business" on their own properties. However I've noticed that many people now use their local postal station as a dog parkette. I think the provision of dog parks would improve that situation.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Founder

Just like petitions, email campaigns don't work. The decision makers are not swayed by a flood of emails or signatures on a petition. If 175 emails are received in favor, does that automatically presume a majority? No! Lots of effort is put into such campaigns and the net result is, more often than not, no significant sway with the decision makers.

For example, we have nearly 9,000 registered members of this forum. If we received 2,000 emails asking that the color be changed, should be change it?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Sage

Dogs, like people, need plenty of exercise to maintain good health. I feel that dog parks gives them the opportunity to run and play off leash which is so much healthier then just a little walk on a leash. The majority of yards in the Villages are very small or non existant. There are no fences except in a courtyard villa, and therefore the majority of our canines do not get the opportunity to get the exercise that they need., thus we have a community of fat lazy dogs.

I also think that its a very good selling point to have recreational facilities for pets in The Villages in view of the fact that so many villagers and wannabees do have dogs.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

dogparks ????
We don need no stinken dog parks !!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Sage

Fumar, CALM DOWN! YOUR GONNA HAVE A STROKE!

I sure dont want that on my concience!:

Old 06-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonie View Post
fumar, calm down! Your gonna have a stroke!

I sure dont want that on my concience!:
nonie
we all know that you don't have a concience !!!!!

Fume
Old 06-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Veteran member
Default Excellent post nonie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
Dogs, like people, need plenty of exercise to maintain good health. I feel that dog parks gives them the opportunity to run and play off leash which is so much healthier then just a little walk on a leash. The majority of yards in the Villages are very small or non existant. There are no fences except in a courtyard villa, and therefore the majority of our canines do not get the opportunity to get the exercise that they need., thus we have a community of fat lazy dogs.

I also think that its a very good selling point to have recreational facilities for pets in The Villages in view of the fact that so many villagers and wannabees do have dogs.

I couldnt agree with you more!! Our doggies do need to exercise for their good health and fun. And you are also right...it is a great selling point for TV. That was my number one priority when deciding where to retire.

As for The "Great" Fumar, maybe a good post would be to have a fenced in area for "great" people as yourself to run around and let out your frustrations and get it out of your system, rather than take it out on others!!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneBeannie View Post
I couldnt agree with you more!! Our doggies do need to exercise for their good health and fun. And you are also right...it is a great selling point for TV. That was my number one priority when deciding where to retire.

As for The "Great" Fumar, maybe a good post would be to have a fenced in area for "great" people as yourself to run around and let out your frustrations and get it out of your system, rather than take it out on others!!
Actually we do have do have an underground fence . My wife had it put in when she found I was tunneling out late last year......When she asked where I was going , I told her that I was going to Crisper's for a " talk of the Village " lunch......So she checked the pictures online and I wasn't there so now I'm in real hot water , Tried to tell her that I was in drag and that Chels24 was me but she said I had more Grey hair than that.......So Welcome to my life (what there is of it) I get out the middle of next month...

woe is me fumar
Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Sage

Oh poop Fumar! So now everyones telling me your just a big kidder/kid and that I shouldnt take you seriously. Sorry I got a little bent out of shape.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
Oh poop Fumar! So now everyones telling me your just a big kidder/kid and that I shouldnt take you seriously. Sorry I got a little bent out of shape.
NONIE
Did you say POOP , Look how quick you got us back to talking about dog parks again...Have you no shame.......

poopless fumar
Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
NONIE
Did you say POOP , Look how quick you got us back to talking about dog parks again...Have you no shame.......

poopless fumar
I guess I dont! Working at an animal shelter every day Its about the only thing on my mind most of the day!

Ill try to stay as far away from the subject as possible! LOL

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.