What the requirements for bringing a dog here.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Veteran member
Default What the requirements for bringing a dog here.

I looked in this section and maybe the answer is here but I cant see it. Are there requirements for moving here with a dog? Is there a limit to what size dog and are there areas that dont allow dogs? Are there places where you can take a dog to run around? I need to now more about dogs in The Villages. Thank you.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

not sure ???
Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Platinum member

Dogs and cats are welcomed. But... they must be controlled and on a leash when not on your property. There are a few dog parks in the area accessible by golf cart. Paradise Dog Park, for instance has 2 play areas... one for dogs greater than 30# and one for dogs less than 30#
Old 08-23-2009, 12:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I looked in this section and maybe the answer is here but I cant see it. Are there requirements for moving here with a dog? Is there a limit to what size dog and are there areas that dont allow dogs? Are there places where you can take a dog to run around? I need to now more about dogs in The Villages. Thank you.
Two domestic pets per household are allowed, no limit to size. Many people have two dogs. There are many pet lovers living in The Villages and several pet clubs. There is a large private dog park called Doggie Doo Run Run on CR 101. There is one dog park provided by TV in the Historical section and another in progress in the north/west area of TV.

One word of warning .. do not listen to anything Fumar says. He loves little doggies but hates to admit it.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

First, there is a section/forum/whatever-you-call-it in Talk of The Villages called "All About Pets". Lots of good information for pet owners in TV (or anywhere) there so take a look at some of the posts in it. I'll bet good detailed answers to many of your questions are there.

Within TV, no fences are allowed (well, some install an "invisible fence" and that seems to be OK) so you have to keep your dog on a lease when outside the house (a few exceptions in courtyard villas which have a fence). You are supposed to pick up after your pet and dispose of that in your trash - not in a storm drain. Each county has similar dog licensing requirements so once you settle, license you dog in the appropriate county which means shots, etc.

There is one existing, and one or two planned dog parks in TV that are free for residents and several "fee" parks in or around TV where you can go for a small fee. Each has their own rules but basically your dog needs to be licensed, shots up to date, and you need to be on hand to control your dog.

As far as I know, there are no size restrictions. Deed covenants and restrictions vary from village to village so some may have a two-dog limit, some may not - I am not 100% sure on that. Check with your sales agent before buying or Deed Compliance if you already own here and they should be able to give you good poop.

There are lots of dogs in TV. You will see them at the both public squares every day and at most outdoor public events, sports events, etc. Some (but not all) restaurants even allow your dog to be with you when you are sitting outside eating (but never inside except service animals). Florida law allows restaurant management to make the decision on whether or not dogs are allowed in outside eating areas so it is NOT against state law NOR is it required by state law - restaurant management decides.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When we moved here in 2003 we were told in our indoctrination meeting that pets over knee high were not allowed and when leaving your property they must be on a leash...........
Old 08-24-2009, 03:14 PM

Lots of dogs down here. I don't know the stats but I'd guess over 50% of residents are dog owners. Most all are respectful and clean up after number 2. Many however allow number 1 to take place anywhere. I personally don't like number 1 in my yard as it can cause brown spots.

Last edited by Dynasty; 08-24-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: lack of tactfulness
Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

One word of warning .. do not listen to anything Fumar says. He loves little doggies but hates to admit it.
But mostly in a good chili....
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
When we moved here in 2003 we were told in our indoctrination meeting that pets over knee high were not allowed and when leaving your property they must be on a leash...........
So does this mean that you can have small dogs only? Knee high is small. Is it a weight limit?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
So does this mean that you can have small dogs only? Knee high is small. Is it a weight limit?
Don't now how to answer that as some of the pet alligators here are less than knee high yet very heavy .......

pet detective fumar
Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I have seen many people with large dogs. There is one resident in our neighborhood that has a full blown standard poodle... the dog is at least waist high.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quixote, when it comes to animals, just take whatever Fumar says and believe the opposite.

Trust the rest of us. Big dogs are allowed. No weight limit. No height limit. Two per household. Take a look at my avatar. That dog is about six feet tall and still growing!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

Thank you Barefoot and everyone else except Fumar. Its a big help to know.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Quixote, the only recommendation I would have from my experience is that if you have a big dog or more than one dog, you might want to look at a CYV so that the dogs are not confined to the house only. My house is large enough for them to run around in it, but they are so bored being in the house only and would love to chase after birds and lizards. I tried bringing them to the doggie run but they are socially inept (what else from bratty schnauzers) but I wish now that I had bought a corner lot CYV so they could enjoy themselves more.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

I see you already got many great responses from the wonderful TOTV'ers, so I really have nothing to add other than I am bringing my two golden retrievers to TV next month. What seems like many moons ago when I began researching TV, that was the first thing I checked out before looking at anything in TV. I was so relieved to see that not only do they allow two doggies of any size, but it is also a very dog friendly place to live.

P.S. I concur with Bare, dont worry about Fumar lol....his bark is bigger than his bite! Right Fumar?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.