What the requirements for bringing a dog here.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
First, there is a section/forum/whatever-you-call-it in Talk of The Villages called "All About Pets". Lots of good information for pet owners in TV (or anywhere) there so take a look at some of the posts in it. I'll bet good detailed answers to many of your questions are there.

Within TV, no fences are allowed (well, some install an "invisible fence" and that seems to be OK) so you have to keep your dog on a lease when outside the house (a few exceptions in courtyard villas which have a fence). You are supposed to pick up after your pet and dispose of that in your trash - not in a storm drain. Each county has similar dog licensing requirements so once you settle, license you dog in the appropriate county which means shots, etc.

There is one existing, and one or two planned dog parks in TV that are free for residents and several "fee" parks in or around TV where you can go for a small fee. Each has their own rules but basically your dog needs to be licensed, shots up to date, and you need to be on hand to control your dog.

As far as I know, there are no size restrictions. Deed covenants and restrictions vary from village to village so some may have a two-dog limit, some may not - I am not 100% sure on that. Check with your sales agent before buying or Deed Compliance if you already own here and they should be able to give you good poop.

There are lots of dogs in TV. You will see them at the both public squares every day and at most outdoor public events, sports events, etc. Some (but not all) restaurants even allow your dog to be with you when you are sitting outside eating (but never inside except service animals). Florida law allows restaurant management to make the decision on whether or not dogs are allowed in outside eating areas so it is NOT against state law NOR is it required by state law - restaurant management decides.
What is the fee in Sumter County for licensing a dog?? I looked on their website but it doesn't indicate the fee.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

The fee is $5.00 per dog. You will need a proof of rabies vac.
We just got ours a couple days ago at the Sherrifs annex on 466 next to the f.d.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

A woman walks her beautiful great dane down Havana Trail daily.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ah, those beautiful, gentle giants!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Uh oh. Are names of dog breeds capitalized? I have a new friend who is a Journalist (is that capitalized?) and a bunch of old friends who are English Majors and I am trying to appear educated.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Sage
Default Thinking about my neighbors...............

It would be interesting to know just what percentage of Villagers have pets.

I am guessing that it would be close to half.

We have TWO cats.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.