Possibly the worst VLS home close experience? need advice....

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2022, 02:09 PM
Veteran member

Hope you got a great deal on the house.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
The hurricane has nothing to do with it. All the hurricane caused what a slight change in time and location. Did the hurricane cause the previous owners to not clean up their mess? Did the hurricane cause agents to ignore their obligations?
Sorry, for your experience, OP. I guess you see what being nice gets for you.
Seriously? The hurricane pushed off joining the seller and the buyer properly.

I have purchased multiple homes. I would NOT have just signed off contrary to what the OP did.

That said, since they DID sign off, it's time to move on. Clear the garbage, change the locks and own it. Maybe you get some help fixing some issues, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
Seriously? The hurricane pushed off joining the seller and the buyer properly.

I have purchased multiple homes. I would NOT have just signed off contrary to what the OP did.

That said, since they DID sign off, it's time to move on. Clear the garbage, change the locks and own it. Maybe you get some help fixing some issues, but I wouldn't count on it.
Thanks for the reply. The storm on the night before close, was not entirely all that occurred here. It was just the bigger issue of many along the way. It seems to have been used as an easy excuse for multiple people to bail from their responsibility at the end of the process.

The "storm" was not a hurricane as it came over the villages.
We've had worse summer storms since I've lived here.
It was all but over by noon if I recall.
At LSL, 5hrs later when we were there for the thrown together "revised" closing...no wind, no rain, no damage of any kind, approx 150-200 people out walking about, eating, shopping, driving around, listening to the music. We drove there without issue of any kind, as did the title clerk. We waited for other parties to arrive as stated they would. They never did...there was zero reason why other involved parties could not have made it as well IMHO.

That said, I fully understand others would not have closed.
We in hind sight should not have. There were concerns over having already gone from 30 to a 60 day close vs our timeline to move, Todays holiday closures, possibly losing our interest rate lock and most importantly - the previous assurance - that these issues would be resolved prior to close with no way to confirm that, sans any real estate agent available.
As already stated: We trusted VLS agents to do what they stated they would do.
They didnt. Simple as that.
Lesson Learned.
Old 11-11-2022, 05:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts
Default Most of us do learn "the hard way" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFwUs View Post
Thanks for the reply. The storm on the night before close, was not entirely all that occurred here. It was just the bigger issue of many along the way. It seems to have been used as an easy excuse for multiple people to bail from their responsibility at the end of the process.

The "storm" was not a hurricane as it came over the villages.
We've had worse summer storms since I've lived here.
It was all but over by noon if I recall.
At LSL, 5hrs later when we were there for the thrown together "revised" closing...no wind, no rain, no damage of any kind, approx 150-200 people out walking about, eating, shopping, driving around, listening to the music. We drove there without issue of any kind, as did the title clerk. We waited for other parties to arrive as stated they would. They never did...there was zero reason why other involved parties could not have made it as well IMHO.

That said, I fully understand others would not have closed.
We in hind sight should not have. There were concerns over having already gone from 30 to a 60 day close vs our timeline to move, Todays holiday closures, possibly losing our interest rate lock and most importantly - the previous assurance - that these issues would be resolved prior to close with no way to confirm that, sans any real estate agent available.
As already stated: We trusted VLS agents to do what they stated they would do.
They didnt. Simple as that.
Lesson Learned.
We learned the difficult (and expensive) lesson in our first home purchase. Like so many young couples, we were assured we did NOT need to "worry" about the extra expense of an attorney and told "there will be an qualified attorney present". At that age and experience level, we had no idea that was "code" talk, that the attorney was for the bank, in no way cared what happened to us legally. Never let that happen again through out our career moves. We did from time to time have an agent try to talk us OUT of hiring our own attorney ("gently" of course, just "oh, no no, that's not at all necessary, "they'll have one there" (again, THIS time we knew who "they'll was and were able to answer, "oh, excellent, OUR attorney will be there also". The non working plumbing, broken automatic sprinkler systems, poorly maintained gutters, walls filled with holes, scratches, major dry wall damage that never looks "right" unless who have the entire sheet replaced, taped, "mudded", and completely repainted. Usually can find a charity who will remove the unwanted furniture but not always ! Things left are seldom, if ever, the kinds of things a consignment shop will accept; they usually leave the items that would COST them to have removed. Some will leave an broken or poorly working spa, an item that costs substantially to have someone come and haul away. Wish this had not happened to you. Those who wrote that you should not have signed are correct, but, though weak, you may be able to make it so public and so embarrassing for those involved, that they may "do the decent thing"... but don't count on it. Even the "home inspector" (recommended to members of our family who bought here after we had built our house) recommended by the villages sales rep they used, was a $300 useless expense. The kitchen had multiple electrical problems, the roof he passed as having no problems, leaked seriously 6 weeks after the closing, and the AC which was inspected and predicted to have 8-12 year life left, completely quit when the first summer weather arrived in May. The closed in February. Another lesson never consider choosing an "inspector" from a list you are given by "your" agent, who may well be the "agent" of the SELLER only a "finding" agent for you. As Jimmy Buffet warned us long ago.... LAND SHARKS, those are the ones you have to never turn your back on ! Hope it gets worked out, that you can finally get over all the additional expenses this has cost you (it's really difficult to forgive when you've tried so hard to be the accommodating one).
Old 11-11-2022, 06:17 PM

We hate TV real estate service….
Old 11-11-2022, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
We learned the difficult (and expensive) lesson in our first home purchase. Like so many young couples, we were assured we did NOT need to "worry" about the extra expense of an attorney and told "there will be an qualified attorney present". At that age and experience level, we had no idea that was "code" talk, that the attorney was for the bank, in no way cared what happened to us legally. Never let that happen again through out our career moves. We did from time to time have an agent try to talk us OUT of hiring our own attorney ("gently" of course, just "oh, no no, that's not at all necessary, "they'll have one there" (again, THIS time we knew who "they'll was and were able to answer, "oh, excellent, OUR attorney will be there also". The non working plumbing, broken automatic sprinkler systems, poorly maintained gutters, walls filled with holes, scratches, major dry wall damage that never looks "right" unless who have the entire sheet replaced, taped, "mudded", and completely repainted. Usually can find a charity who will remove the unwanted furniture but not always ! Things left are seldom, if ever, the kinds of things a consignment shop will accept; they usually leave the items that would COST them to have removed. Some will leave an broken or poorly working spa, an item that costs substantially to have someone come and haul away. Wish this had not happened to you. Those who wrote that you should not have signed are correct, but, though weak, you may be able to make it so public and so embarrassing for those involved, that they may "do the decent thing"... but don't count on it. Even the "home inspector" (recommended to members of our family who bought here after we had built our house) recommended by the villages sales rep they used, was a $300 useless expense. The kitchen had multiple electrical problems, the roof he passed as having no problems, leaked seriously 6 weeks after the closing, and the AC which was inspected and predicted to have 8-12 year life left, completely quit when the first summer weather arrived in May. The closed in February. Another lesson never consider choosing an "inspector" from a list you are given by "your" agent, who may well be the "agent" of the SELLER only a "finding" agent for you. As Jimmy Buffet warned us long ago.... LAND SHARKS, those are the ones you have to never turn your back on ! Hope it gets worked out, that you can finally get over all the additional expenses this has cost you (it's really difficult to forgive when you've tried so hard to be the accommodating one).
Yes, yes, and yes!
One of the things I did was listen to who the agent recommended and made a list of them…to make sure I would not use those people even accidentally.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I am continually amazed at how many buyers use the phrase "MY AGENT" when referring to the person who is showing them houses and facilitating the purchase of a house. That person is NOT their agent. He or she is the agent for the seller, not the buyer. When you buy a house, the licensed real estate agent and the broker work exclusively for the seller, and any money they receive is paid to them by the seller. Buyers really need to understand that they do not have an agent that represents them in the offer and negotiation phase of the sale of a house.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Time for Vito & Rocco!

I've done 21 closings with a lawyer and one without a lawyer. I don't care who has done it down here for a house at any price level. We will Lawyer Up Next Time For Sure!

I learned a valuable lesson. I hope my suffering helps others. THE FUNNY THING IS I SORT OF KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON, BUT I AIN'T NO LAWYER.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

So not having your own agent might have been some of the communication issues. When we bought we closed through the mail and when we came down we had to call community watch to get our keys.

60 days to close is a very common time frame for closing. We we bought a new house in The Villages was the first I had heard of a 30 day close. That 30 days was actually extended to 60 days for awhile.

I understand you being upset but your story changes as you were telling it. First the time and location were changed and no one told you to later you received so many calls about the changes that everyone should have known about the changes. Also no one showed up other than the title company but later you said all the people from the bank were there.

You having an agent would have been helpful. Not sure where the sellers agent was, she probably could have made a call to get the keys etc.

Hopefully the cleanup and repairs don’t cost you too much. Many still hire cleaners even if the place looks spotless just to be sure. Good luck moving forward and Welcome to the Villages.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
So not having your own agent might have been some of the communication issues. When we bought we closed through the mail and when we came down we had to call community watch to get our keys.

60 days to close is a very common time frame for closing. We we bought a new house in The Villages was the first I had heard of a 30 day close. That 30 days was actually extended to 60 days for awhile.

I understand you being upset but your story changes as you were telling it. First the time and location were changed and no one told you to later you received so many calls about the changes that everyone should have known about the changes. Also no one showed up other than the title company but later you said all the people from the bank were there.

You having an agent would have been helpful. Not sure where the sellers agent was, she probably could have made a call to get the keys etc.

Hopefully the cleanup and repairs don’t cost you too much. Many still hire cleaners even if the place looks spotless just to be sure. Good luck moving forward and Welcome to the Villages.
The OP said that the seller wanted to extend the closing for 60 days because they "needed more time". Why? I would have said no. The house is either for sale or it is not. That should have been a red flag. If you want to sell the house, you should close when the buyer is ready. I have never waited 60 days to close on a house, and I never would do it to convenience the seller.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post

Story didnt change, I worded things poorly or at least less detailed than I should have perhaps...

Original closing was to take place at LSL sales office 2pm, where we were to have met all parties, sign docs, get keys, get cards, etc. This was agreed on days prior.
Easy peazy.

That plan was changed last minute to a met at the Citizens First Bank next door 4pm. The bank was clearly open and appeared to be operating normally as was most of LSL. That's the "bank people" I was referring to previously. It was they who then directed us upstairs to meet with the title clerk who also showed up.
Other people, most importantly was our acting "agent" and the sellers agent where supposed to be there as well. The sellers agent had all keys, neither of which felt it was important enough to arrive as stated they would!
Sorry if that one aspect of the greater story was unclear.

BTW - We were able to obtain the keys this evening.
Our acting "agent" readily admitted "several people totally dropped the ball on our transaction/close" and none of it at all, could be justified.

Last edited by LAFwUs; 11-11-2022 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2022, 11:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

You could file a complaint.

"Should you need to file a complaint against a broker, you may contact the Florida Real Estate Commission at (850) 487-1395. Additionally, you should file a complaint with the Attorney General’s Office online at Florida Attorney General - Home Page or by phone toll-free at 1-866-9-NO-SCAM.
You may also file a complaint with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, which acts as the State's consumer complaint clearinghouse, at www.floridaconsumerhelp.com."

In most but not all of my past home purchases I have used a Buyer's Broker. I do not know if that is possible when buying a VLS listed home.

"Even real estate brokers chosen by you to help you locate a home may represent the seller. According to most Multiple Listing Services, a broker helping the buyer locate a home is actually working as an agent of the seller's broker. Therefore, they represent the seller rather than the buyer. Before disclosing confidential information, such as your top offer, be sure the broker is not going to share that information with the seller. There are some brokers that only represent buyers. They owe their allegiance to the buyer. There may be a fee involved for this service, in addition to their commission. Make sure you understand what financial obligation you owe the broker before entering into any agreement."

From: Florida Attorney General - How to Protect Yourself: Real Estate Brokers

As I read and reread the OP's posts I asked myself what I would have done. If I really wanted the house, felt I had obtained a reasonable price, had a decent loan interest rate locked in, felt the sellers were elderly and needed extra time and so on I would have gone on to close. If I had a bad gut feeling about it or discovered I was being jacked around I would have walked. When I was in my thirties I went ahead and closed on a trailer park even though I learned during the closing that the manager was pistol whipped and robbed while I was at the title company. It turned out that was just an indication of what was to follow. Today I would tear up the papers, walk and let them sue me. That park was the worst investment of my life and set me back a couple of years before I finally was able to dump it. Boy, did I learn some hard lessons.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 11-11-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFwUs View Post
Story didnt change, I worded things poorly or at least less detailed than I should have perhaps...

Original closing was to take place at LSL sales office 2pm, where we were to have met all parties, sign docs, get keys, get cards, etc. This was agreed on days prior.
Easy peazy.

That plan was changed last minute to a met at the Citizens First Bank next door 4pm. The bank was clearly open and appeared to be operating normally as was most of LSL. That's the "bank people" I was referring to previously. It was they who then directed us upstairs to meet with the title clerk who also showed up.
Other people, most importantly was our acting "agent" and the sellers agent where supposed to be there as well. The sellers agent had all keys, neither of which felt it was important enough to arrive as stated they would!
Sorry if that one aspect of the greater story was unclear.

BTW - We were able to obtain the keys this evening.
Our acting "agent" readily admitted "several people totally dropped the ball on our transaction/close" and none of it at all, could be justified.
Well done! All is well that ends well. You may want to follow up. Or you may not.

Welcome to The Villages!
Old 11-12-2022, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
have you ever purchased a home before? Sorry for all that but really. How and why did you sign papers when the other side was not there? Something doesn't make sense.
You don’t need the other side there. It would have been nice to have been told, though. And that your own real estate agent had shown up.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Sorry that happened. But, if you signed the papers, you own the house. I wouldn't have signed. I also wouldn't have delayed the closing for 60 days or given permission for the seller to leave anything in the house. There is not really much you can do now, except that you can remove the belongings and change the locks. One thing that I would clarify is that, as a buyer, you don't have an agent.
The buyer DOES have an agent in the State of Florida, unless one signs that they accept a non-broker relationship. It sure does seen like the original poster did not have an agent though. If they did, they should be filing a complaint, along with following the other suggestions people gave.

Lesson learned here — do a walk-through with your agent before the closing and NEVER close if everything promised has not been done.
Closed Thread

Tags
closing, home, time, told, vls

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.