1st night of Seafood night at O'Sheas + Blue Crabs

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsheasMike View Post
As the General Manager of O'Shea's let me start off by apologizing to the creator of this post. As we came up with the idea of seafood night, we wanted to showcase that we have the best oysters in town. Our regulars suggested ideas and recipes to add to our night. We tried accommodating them, hence adding the blue crabs. Since not many people do it, we gave it a try. Obviously there is a reason not many people do it. We will continue Seafood Nights on Monday but with out the crabs. We learned a valuable lesson yesterday unfortunately at you and your husbands expense. If you care to join us again please ask for me and I will make sure your experience is a great one. One side note, because the print was small on our old menu, you may have overlooked that the haddock is indeed battered with Harp. The printer has corrected the size of font to prevent this problem. Would also like thank everyone who came out Sunday night as we raised $1115 for the local Toys for Tots. Thank you for your posts, we do read them and use them as a tool to get better.
I will eat here the next time I come to TV just because of the post above. Thanks for your caring ways and it will pay dividends down the road. Do you have a website I can look at?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpirate View Post
I will eat here the next time I come to TV just because of the post above. Thanks for your caring ways and it will pay dividends down the road. Do you have a website I can look at?
From a Google search:
O'Shea's Pub
Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

great post from the general manager-As Bogie Shooter always says,talk to the manager.Think we'll go there tonight.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

I wasn't all that eager to try O'Shea since reviews so far have been just so so. However, now that I know that the manager cares enough to listen to their customers on TOTV, we will be going sooner rather than later. I only wish this place was golf cart accessible.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Here's Don's Crabs in Bel Air, Maryland. Those are the carryout prices for steamed crabs by the dozen and bushel.

The Villages Florida

They should be covered with Old Bay.

The Villages Florida

Served on newspaper and look like this.

The Villages Florida

For a dozen female crabs, medium to large served in a restaurant they will go for about $38 to $60 a dozen.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I already have my reservation on the Autotrain for August 20th. Also, several restaurants in Baltimore will Fedex overnight crab cakes. However my wife can make crab cakes just as good, the problem is finding the crab meat. We were able to buy it for about a year at Sam's Club, but the last couple of months they had stopped stocking it.

My point with the photos was to educate the manager of O'Shea's since he was reading the posts. If you're serving blue crabs, people from the mid-Atlantic region will expect the crabs to be steamed and seasoned with Old Bay. If he was to buy live crabs from Bubba's in Leesburg and do the right advertising, he could make out alright. Last October the Maryland Club had steamed crabs at Hacienda Hills, and sold out all 200 tickets at $60 each. That's no small amount of money for one evening.

/

Last edited by Moderator; 06-14-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Removed quoted orphan posts
Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 PM

I don't think that I was rude. If you live next to a bay and there aren't any middle men you can get crabs cheap. If you want good seafood in TV, you are out of luck. You can go to Homosassa and get live crabs for $14.95/dozen...similar to up north. If you want Chesapeake Bay or Cape Cod seafood fresh, go north. We live inland in horse country and what is going to be delivered here is going to take a while and be more expensive.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:42 PM

Had the chicken po pie and it was like chicken sop with phyllo dough on top. Not impressed at all!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Default osheas

yes, that's right, Irish beer batter, delicious!! going to get some tonite!!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Normally I would agree with that statement of not ordering seafood at an Irish sports pub - but when they advertise it as a specialty, they should have it good.

I am from Maryland and we know blue crabs! Usually in crab season in Maryland, you get steamed crabs for about $16 for a dozen or for around $25 it is all you can eat. $14.99 for 2 crabs plus corn and potatoes is ridiculous.
You will have to go back home for this type of seafood or a big city in the South. Travel alone makes it higher and not as fresh. Order local seafood and you will enjoy. I suggest items like Shrimp, Grouper, Red Snapper, etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I've said it before, we all come from different areas and lived there at least 50 years before moving to TV. So we're not going to have what we were accustomed to all those years. If it tastes ok, looks good, the place is Clean and,the beer is cold and I get a smile it's a good night. If I have a problem with the meal I tell the waitress and or the manager. If it happens again I move on. JMO
Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOB View Post
I don't think that I was rude. If you live next to a bay and there aren't any middle men you can get crabs cheap. If you want good seafood in TV, you are out of luck. You can go to Homosassa and get live crabs for $14.95/dozen...similar to up north. If you want Chesapeake Bay or Cape Cod seafood fresh, go north. We live inland in horse country and what is going to be delivered here is going to take a while and be more expensive.
A much more appropriate response, in my opinion. Thank you for being more concise. In fact, we get blue crabs in Homosassa for free (minus the fishing license) as we do our own crabbing. It's a great way to spend the day and a fun sport. Just be sure to tuck a Bounce softener sheet in your pocket because the no-see-ums can be very aggressive there.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Default TG

Seafood cooking 101:Steam crabs and shrimp w/beer, vinegar & Old Bay. Boil
lobster(12 min) in saltwater. Oysters & clams raw. Fish grilled
Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Default Respond to Mike

Thank you for the offer, but I think we will pass on that. I wish you the best of luck with the restaurant. Think it is a great location. Great having a charity night.

To the other post, we gave the waitress a bad tip because we had waited at least 20 minutes to be served.

Like I said, we hardly ever complain and usually do not go back or, at least, try out the restaurants twice before deciding, in case they had a difficult night.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.