1st night of Seafood night at O'Sheas + Blue Crabs

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Default 1st night of Seafood night at O'Sheas + Blue Crabs

No longer serving blue crabs

Last edited by butterfly sue; 07-26-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: No more blue crabs offered
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Sage

Try the chicken pot pie - it's awesome.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:26 PM

I would never order seafood in an Irish sports pub. nor would I order steak at IHOP..however, the banger sausages are fantastic.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly sue View Post
Today is my husband's birthday so, of course, we are going out to eat. I did read the paper this morning but picked it up later and found the ad from O'Shea's. Monday night is seafood night, live blue crab, oysters, clams, shrimp, mussels etc. We were going for the blue crab. So we arrive there before 5pm and the place wasn't busy. We sat and waited while the waitresses were walking around and waited and another table came in after us and their order was taken. So finally, my head laying sideways in my hand and bored, we have a waitress. We did ask questions about the low country blue crab boil. You get 2 crabs (from the gulf of MX), 2 corn on the cobs, New England red potatoes and down home corn bread for $14.99!!!!!!!! Well, we decided to take a chance, but had them check about adding more crabs later ($6 each for one crab). Our meals came and they were the smallest crabs I ever seen. Hubby wonders if they were legal size which he thinks is 5". There was no spice on them either. Blah. the claws were okay, but the inside was mushy and my hubby wonders if they were properly cooked as they were opaque in color. So ate the corn, potatoes and the claws and gave a bad tip and left and I don't plan on going back. Makes me wonder how the other meals were.

We were here once before and thought prices were high. I had the breaded Haddock and was peeling most of the breading off. I would describe it as more of a beer batter, but not listed like that on the menu. Hubby had salmon and was not impressed.

I don't like to grumble about places, but this is ridiculous!
And the manager responded...........?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Veteran member

Try the wings extra crispy.........fantastic.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Try the chicken pot pie - it's awesome.
Best Chicken pot pie I've had is at Perkins ( and i've had several!)
Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum member

"Live" blue crabs? I know what you mean and in NC we ordered them by the dozen. Even big ones have very little meat! Can't imagine an order for 2 with only 2 small crabs!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
Best Chicken pot pie I've had is at Perkins ( and i've had several!)
Cotillion chicken pot pie is the best I've ever had.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1366 View Post
I would never order seafood in an Irish sports pub. nor would I order steak at IHOP..however, the banger sausages are fantastic.
Normally I would agree with that statement of not ordering seafood at an Irish sports pub - but when they advertise it as a specialty, they should have it good.

I am from Maryland and we know blue crabs! Usually in crab season in Maryland, you get steamed crabs for about $16 for a dozen or for around $25 it is all you can eat. $14.99 for 2 crabs plus corn and potatoes is ridiculous.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Sounds to me they are trying to specialize in something someone else is doing. Specialize in what you are good at that works all the time.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Gave a bad tip? Because of service or the lousy food? If for the service, I can understand, but if it's for the food, it's not their fault.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmum View Post
Gave a bad tip? Because of service or the lousy food? If for the service, I can understand, but if it's for the food, it's not their fault.
I agree with the above posting. The waitress does not choose the menu nor does she cook the food. The OP's problem was with the kitchen/mgt.

We ate there last night as well. When I saw the crab boil dishes coming out I decided not to go that route.

Had peel and eat shrimp which was basic boiled shrimp with no spices and a very bland tomato ketcup type sauce posing as cocktail sauce. One of the shrimps was not cooked at all.

Had an Osheas burger which was good.

Wife and guest had the fish and chips and were happy with their meals.

Bottom line, this restaurant might want to stick with the basics and stay away from a seafood night.

Waitress Tina did a very good job for us.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 AM

As the General Manager of O'Shea's let me start off by apologizing to the creator of this post. As we came up with the idea of seafood night, we wanted to showcase that we have the best oysters in town. Our regulars suggested ideas and recipes to add to our night. We tried accommodating them, hence adding the blue crabs. Since not many people do it, we gave it a try. Obviously there is a reason not many people do it. We will continue Seafood Nights on Monday but with out the crabs. We learned a valuable lesson yesterday unfortunately at you and your husbands expense. If you care to join us again please ask for me and I will make sure your experience is a great one. One side note, because the print was small on our old menu, you may have overlooked that the haddock is indeed battered with Harp. The printer has corrected the size of font to prevent this problem. Would also like thank everyone who came out Sunday night as we raised $1115 for the local Toys for Tots. Thank you for your posts, we do read them and use them as a tool to get better.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsheasMike View Post
As the General Manager of O'Shea's let me start off by apologizing to the creator of this post. As we came up with the idea of seafood night, we wanted to showcase that we have the best oysters in town. Our regulars suggested ideas and recipes to add to our night. We tried accommodating them, hence adding the blue crabs. Since not many people do it, we gave it a try. Obviously there is a reason not many people do it. We will continue Seafood Nights on Monday but with out the crabs. We learned a valuable lesson yesterday unfortunately at you and your husbands expense. If you care to join us again please ask for me and I will make sure your experience is a great one. One side note, because the print was small on our old menu, you may have overlooked that the haddock is indeed battered with Harp. The printer has corrected the size of font to prevent this problem. Would also like thank everyone who came out Sunday night as we raised $1115 for the local Toys for Tots. Thank you for your posts, we do read them and use them as a tool to get better.
My friend, your post just earned you another customer. See you tonight. We are Barry and Jill, and we are looking forward to it!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Location: Wisconsin, San Antonio, Germany, Korea, Alabama and soon The Villages

My husband and I will be visiting our TV home this weekend and look forward to visiting this Irish pub on Friday night.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.