$23.00 to add piece of salmon to Caesar salad at the Lighthouse Point Bar & Grill

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieH View Post
Lighthouse menu has a Salmon berry salad for $28. I didn't want some of the items in it. Asked waiter how much would a $12 Grilled Caesar salad be to add a piece of salmon. She came back and said $23. I thought that $11 for a piece of salmon was high, but what the heck.
Check came and it was $12 for salad and $23 for add-on salmon = $35.. . Asked for mgr and she said that's how much a salmon add on is and it's fresh. Told her I eat a lot of salads and usually $7-9 for add on. She WOULDN"T budge. Told her I can buy 1lb of Atlantic salmon for $8.99/lb at Fresh Market.
I did ask ahead of time for the price and had I understood the add on was $23 extra and not the TOTAL cost, I would have passed on it.
BYE-BYE Lighthouse and my 2 visits a month.
I have a few things to say about this. First, this was obviously a case of miscommunication between you and the server, and that’s unfortunate. And I have to say I feel for you, because that bill came as a shock. The server was likely in a rush when she said “$23” — meaning that was just for the salmon filet, not the entire salad. But from the restaurant’s point of view, you ordered the salmon filet separately, and that’s the price, added on to a salad or not. Ok, but since it was an honest miscommunication and you’re a regular customer, I think the manager could have cut you a break and given you the dish for $23.

And by the way, I also had an unfortunate experience at the Lighthouse two years ago. The situation was a bit different though. I ordered 1 pound of whole belly fried clams. The price was $38, and I was ok paying that, especially since it was a birthday celebration. Anyway, when the dish arrived, there were like 1/4 pound of clams! I couldn’t believe it. Very disappointing, but because it was a birthday dinner I didn’t dispute it.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:59 AM

I love the lighthouse. My belief when u are eating at an establishment, pick something off menu that you don’t need to alter unless it is for dietary reasons. Or cook at home.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:10 AM
Default Lighthouse Complaint

Just write a letter to both the Lighthouse Owners Group and the restaurant management stating your pricing complaint. Compare their cost to the Chophouse and other restaurants in the area.

Also let them know of your posting on this website and that so many Villagers read it. It seems somebody didn’t do their pricing homework or the restaurant believes Villagers are gullible.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
I have a few things to say about this. First, this was obviously a case of miscommunication between you and the server, and that’s unfortunate. And I have to say I feel for you, because that bill came as a shock. The server was likely in a rush when she said “$23” — meaning that was just for the salmon filet, not the entire salad. But from the restaurant’s point of view, you ordered the salmon filet separately, and that’s the price, added on to a salad or not. Ok, but since it was an honest miscommunication and you’re a regular customer, I think the manager could have cut you a break and given you the dish for $23.

And by the way, I also had an unfortunate experience at the Lighthouse two years ago. The situation was a bit different though. I ordered 1 pound of whole belly fried clams. The price was $38, and I was ok paying that, especially since it was a birthday celebration. Anyway, when the dish arrived, there were like 1/4 pound of clams! I couldn’t believe it. Very disappointing, but because it was a birthday dinner I didn’t dispute it.
And that’s exactly why they rip people off! Acceptance of overpriced and often mis labeled mediocrity!!
Old 05-08-2023, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Lighthouse menu has a Salmon berry salad for $28. I didn't want some of the items in it. Asked waiter how much would a $12 Grilled Caesar salad be to add a piece of salmon. She came back and said $23. I thought that $11 for a piece of salmon was high, but what the heck.
Check came and it was $12 for salad and $23 for add-on salmon = $35.. . Asked for mgr and she said that's how much a salmon add on is and it's fresh. Told her I eat a lot of salads and usually $7-9 for add on. She WOULDN"T budge. Told her I can buy 1lb of Atlantic salmon for $8.99/lb at Fresh Market.
I did ask ahead of time for the price and had I understood the add on was $23 extra and not the TOTAL cost, I would have passed on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
First of all, I think $23 for a salmon add on to a salad is very high. I also think the manager would have been smarter to give the OP the salad for $23.

That being said, I can't help but suspect that the phraseology of the price question as posted might have been slightly altered to make his/her case. The phrase "how much would a $12 Grilled Caesar salad be to add a piece of salmon" seems a bit awkward---why state the price of the plain Caesar salad to the waitress in the question. More likely (just speculation) the question was simply " how much to add a piece of salmon to the salad", and the when the answer came back $23 there were some assumptions made. This is also likely what the server told the manager which is why he was inflexible.

Like I said, the manager could have been smarter, but from the manager's point of view, I suppose he deals with the growing number of Villagers looking for "something for nothing" every day, and has problems sorting out the legitimate complaints.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We were once a week customers at one time and had a similar shocking experience. When our youngest son came for a visit last time he really wanted to have the gigantic seafood sampler monstrosity that they serve so off to the Lighthouse we went. I asked the waiter where is the crowd on a beautiful night like this? I think I can guess at the answer. OP, I support everything you said since I experienced the same thing myself. I vote with my feet and wallet. I never like to bash either. Can’t believe that your personal experience was challenged or questioned! This isn’t a court of law. It’s a forum to share our views on things with our neighbors and to supposedly support each other. I’m with you totally.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

this is why they lost 1812, no restuarant knowledge.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Sorry ,but special orders are real pain in the kitchen, now pricing that’s another story ,no answer, communication with staff confusing. but taking an attitude to never return to restaurant you enjoy is silly but you win .
Old 05-08-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If only you hadn't added the "I can buy this for less at the store" your complaint would be mostly valid.

You invalidated the complaint with that single statement though.

To explain - since I realize logic is not everyone's forte:

You can buy ALL of your food cheaper at a supermarket, and prepare it yourself from scratch. However, you won't have the experience of being served, having someone else do the dishes, someone else doing the cooking, the cleaning, paying for the electricity needed to run the oven and dishwasher, the experience of "dining out," preventing all those fish skins you can't put in the garbage disposer stinking up your house until trash day, etc. etc. etc.

A valid argument might be "I can make BETTER for less, and so I shall." That's my argument for shrimp scampi, everywhere I go. No one makes it as good as I make it. I'm always disappointed, and so I just stopped ordering it entirely. When I want shrimp scampi, I make it.

If you know you can get something for less somewhere else, and that is your argument for complaining about the price of something, then - get it for less somewhere else. Or just accept that at THIS place, there's an add-on price of $23 for salmon. Lighthouse is not an inexpensive middle-quality chain restaurant.

You would've been better off not trying to do things "cheap" and instead selected the bourbon salmon dinner, with a caesar salad add-on. That would've been only $32 and would've included vegetables and rice.
EXCELLENT reply
Old 05-08-2023, 06:55 AM

Reading is a "skill", use your "logic" and re-read the article. I didn't go cheap. I was willing to pay $11 for the add on salmon which is higher than any restaurant I have ordered a salmon add before. Your long diatribe was so far off point that it barely deserves this response.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
If only you hadn't added the "I can buy this for less at the store" your complaint would be mostly valid.

You can buy ALL of your food cheaper at a supermarket, and prepare it yourself from scratch. However, you won't have the experience of being served, having someone else do the dishes, someone else doing the cooking, the cleaning, paying for the electricity needed to run the oven and dishwasher, the experience of "dining out," preventing all those fish skins you can't put in the garbage disposer stinking up your house until trash day, etc. etc. etc.

A valid argument might be "I can make BETTER for less, and so I shall." That's my argument for shrimp scampi, everywhere I go. No one makes it as good as I make it. I'm always disappointed, and so I just stopped ordering it entirely. When I want shrimp scampi, I make it.

If you know you can get something for less somewhere else, and that is your argument for complaining about the price of something, then - get it for less somewhere else. Or just accept that at THIS place, there's an add-on price of $23 for salmon. Lighthouse is not an inexpensive middle-quality chain restaurant.

You would've been better off not trying to do things "cheap" and instead selected the bourbon salmon dinner, with a caesar salad add-on. That would've been only $32 and would've included vegetables and rice.
Is there some negative history between yourself and the OP. The reply was a bit like something I'd expect an ex to say.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Howie has been on TOTV for about 5 years. Two posts,
both complaints. .

If everyone here for 5 years hasn't figured out the restaurant scene, especially Howie who goes to that restaurant 2 times a month. .

geez people, get the hook out of your cheeks. .
Old 05-08-2023, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Pre made Cesar Salad kit and piece of delicious smoked salmon from either Publix, Fresh Market, or Sprouts for around $20. No cooking required, no tip necessary, and eat it on a paper plate so no cleanup. Usually have some leftover for lunch the next day. Problem solved.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Actually, a pound of salmon at The Fresh Market is 13.99 a pound.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Fresh Atlantic Salmon is aroung $20/lb. Fresh not frozen. The real problem here is he was quoted one price then charged another. If he would have focused on that arguement maybe the manager would have reduced the bill.
Closed Thread

Tags
salmon, add, salad, $23, lighthouse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.