$23.00 to add piece of salmon to Caesar salad at the Lighthouse Point Bar & Grill

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2023, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Howie has been on TOTV for about 5 years. Two posts,
both complaints. .

If everyone here for 5 years hasn't figured out the restaurant scene, especially Howie who goes to that restaurant 2 times a month. .

geez people, get the hook out of your cheeks. .
All I can say is The Lighthouse was really good 6-9 years ago, then it went downhill enough to go elsewhere. When the owners opened 1812 Augustine, the Lighthouse was really, really bad. Now that 1812 is closed they plan to put their efforts into rehabilitating the Lighthouse, and I hope they succeed.

However, anyone who went there 2x/month through that period either has a very strong stomach or a congenital absence of taste buds. I also didn't note any mention of the quality of the food or the service in the OP, just some "confusion" over the price.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobullymom View Post
"Lighthouse is not an inexpensive middle-quality chain restaurant."

No, it's a low quality over priced restaurant. I'm not a restaurant basher, but this is quite an over statement. Just what is high quality about this place? Other than a nice water view.
Unless the ambience has changed, I would recommend hearing aid wearers think twice before dining there.
The NOISE!
Old 05-08-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Um, Atlantic salmon? Farm raised? Oh, nonononono.
And, "fresh"? Most likely "fresh frozen".
Salmon in grocery stores is all farm raised, except for Alaskan seasonal Coho. Best farm raised is Norwegian - high standards. Farm raised from Chili is a no, no!
Old 05-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Fresh Atlantic Salmon is aroung $20/lb. Fresh not frozen. The real problem here is he was quoted one price then charged another. If he would have focused on that argument maybe the manager would have reduced the bill.
I do not know how to start a thread, or I would have done so. You mentioned tip. In the past five to ten years tipping on take-out has become the norm. I use to slide a dollar across the counter when getting my coffee at DD. Now when paying for takeout, Chinese food, a pizza etc.they leave a space on the receipt to add a tip. Last night at a Chinese take-out it showed suggested tips, 22% (with amount), 25%() and 30%. This is for takeout.I had been tipping 10% for take-out and 20 to 25 for dine in. Is 10% too low (let's assume service is fine. They put the dried rice in the bag and handed it to me.).I understand I am older and most likely not up on what is customary (I recall an Uncle who tipped 12% because that is what it had been for years). Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:18 AM
Default Revival Coming?

From a few things I have read the owners seemed to admit that there were issues at the Lighthouse and they have plans and ideas to improve the place now that they closed 1812. Let's hope they can make it into a great restaurant. It certainly has one of the best locations in the Villages and hopefully the revival will be successful. I wish them luck.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
All I can say is The Lighthouse was really good 6-9 years ago, then it went downhill enough to go elsewhere. When the owners opened 1812 Augustine, the Lighthouse was really, really bad. Now that 1812 is closed they plan to put their efforts into rehabilitating the Lighthouse, and I hope they succeed.

However, anyone who went there 2x/month through that period either has a very strong stomach or a congenital absence of taste buds. I also didn't note any mention of the quality of the food or the service in the OP, just some "confusion" over the price.
Totally agree, several years ago it was our go to place to bring guests and everyone raved about the place. Suddenly, it was like a switch was flipped and the place went straight downhill to the point where it became embarrassing to bring guests there. 1812 was doomed from the get go with the same poor quality, without the view of Lake Sumter. At least the 1812 location is being taken over by a competent operator.

It’s highly doubtful that having a family that ran two restaurants very poorly will somehow suddenly be able to run one very well by focusing their efforts, but I hope they prove me wrong?
Old 05-08-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieH View Post
Lighthouse menu has a Salmon berry salad for $28. I didn't want some of the items in it. Asked waiter how much would a $12 Grilled Caesar salad be to add a piece of salmon. She came back and said $23. I thought that $11 for a piece of salmon was high, but what the heck.
Check came and it was $12 for salad and $23 for add-on salmon = $35.. . Asked for mgr and she said that's how much a salmon add on is and it's fresh. Told her I eat a lot of salads and usually $7-9 for add on. She WOULDN"T budge. Told her I can buy 1lb of Atlantic salmon for $8.99/lb at Fresh Market.
I did ask ahead of time for the price and had I understood the add on was $23 extra and not the TOTAL cost, I would have passed on it.
BYE-BYE Lighthouse and my 2 visits a month.
I don't eat out anymore, way too expensive.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts

Moving on to another restaurant , I had the rack of lamb for the second time in a row at Legacy , both times it was delicious . I’ve never had a bad meal there and the service is always great .
Old 05-08-2023, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Fresh Atlantic Salmon is aroung $20/lb. Fresh not frozen. The real problem here is he was quoted one price then charged another. If he would have focused on that arguement maybe the manager would have reduced the bill.
He was quoted $23 to add the salmon. He was charged $23 for the added salmon. If salmon isn't a normal part of the menu for salad add-ons, then he was charged for a full portion of salmon - which is $23. He still had to pay for the salad. When adding a protein to a salad is part of a menu, the price is listed, or it'll say Mkt or MV (Market Value). I checked the Lighthouse menu online yesterday - salmon is not an add-on for that salad. And so - you just have to pay the full price for salmon, which is the $23 that he was quoted.

It sounds to me like he misunderstood that price, and assumed it meant that was the charge for the entire meal. The waitress did nothing wrong. The customer misunderstood. Or intentionally obfuscated the fact in the hopes of getting a free meal/discount/dessert out of it.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
He was quoted $23 to add the salmon. He was charged $23 for the added salmon. If salmon isn't a normal part of the menu for salad add-ons, then he was charged for a full portion of salmon - which is $23. He still had to pay for the salad. When adding a protein to a salad is part of a menu, the price is listed, or it'll say Mkt or MV (Market Value). I checked the Lighthouse menu online yesterday - salmon is not an add-on for that salad. And so - you just have to pay the full price for salmon, which is the $23 that he was quoted.

It sounds to me like he misunderstood that price, and assumed it meant that was the charge for the entire meal. The waitress did nothing wrong. The customer misunderstood. Or intentionally obfuscated the fact in the hopes of getting a free meal/discount/dessert out of it.
This is very painful, but I'm forced to agree with you
Old 05-08-2023, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,749 Posts

Every time we visited TV for over 20 years we’d have at least one meal at the Lighthouse. In the early years, they served blackened alligator which was delicious! In the later years 2 simple salads, with something very dry added cost the 2 of us over $60. I kept hoping they might at least improve the food. It never happened. Now we simply pity the people who still go there.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:54 AM

Went there 1/2 hour before closing. Asked if they were still serving and if so could I still order all you can eat crablegs. Answered yes. When asked for second serving, was told kitchen was closed. Still charged me 50 dollars for all you can eat special but was only able to get one cluster. Manager said it was out of their hands. Hope the invest well the 50 dollars for the one cluster, as it will be the last money spent there. Penny wise, pound foolish
Old 05-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

View is nice but nothing else about it is good. How do restaurants like this stay in business?
Old 05-08-2023, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
View is nice but nothing else about it is good. How do restaurants like this stay in business?
Because we villagers just grumble, then head our golf carts over to the next mediocre and overpriced place.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
I do not know how to start a thread, or I would have done so. You mentioned tip. In the past five to ten years tipping on take-out has become the norm. I use to slide a dollar across the counter when getting my coffee at DD. Now when paying for takeout, Chinese food, a pizza etc.they leave a space on the receipt to add a tip. Last night at a Chinese take-out it showed suggested tips, 22% (with amount), 25%() and 30%. This is for takeout.I had been tipping 10% for take-out and 20 to 25 for dine in. Is 10% too low (let's assume service is fine. They put the dried rice in the bag and handed it to me.).I understand I am older and most likely not up on what is customary (I recall an Uncle who tipped 12% because that is what it had been for years). Any advice is appreciated.
For what it's worth I never add a "suggested tip" (or any tip, for that matter) to the bill and then pay with a credit card. I'll leave the tip in cash, on the table, or hand it to the waitstaff in person. Also I don't tip on my perception of the quality of the food, but solely on service (from initial contact and seating throughout the meal). 10% or so for mediocre service and up from there: for truly excellent service I might go as high as 25% and a positive comment to the manager. If the food is bad, that also rates a comment to the manager but I can't hold the waitstaff liable for the quality of the food.

I've also left zero tip for truly horrific service a couple of times (one of those times was at the Light House, actually). But that is rare.
Closed Thread

Tags
salmon, add, salad, $23, lighthouse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.