Adios Farmshed

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2022, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,568 Times in 3,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
If you're getting paid "$10"/hr", there is no way you're paying 25% in taxes...
As I was told by someone who works in this restaurant, it's 25% of the TIPS that are deducted as their total taxes. That is what their boss told them, as an explanation of their paycheck. But it might just be more scamming and skimming of employee income.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wonder what really happens when you pay cash to server?
The employee is /supposed/ to declare 100% of their income including tips, and take whatever deductions they're entitled to take, whether standard or itemized.

But at the restaurant in my posts, the server gets to keep all cash tips. Only the credit card tips are pooled, and employees (all of them) end up averaging $10/hour in their paychecks. That's why I think there's some pretty shady shenanigans going on with their manager or store owner.

It also explains the high turnover there.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,791 Times in 5,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Just because something is illegal doesn't mean people won't do it. Do you know of anyone who will hire a lawyer and take a restaurant owner to court for illegal tipping practices? I don't. They have a rapid turnover, and there are lots of other places hiring. It's much easier to take the job, find out it's lousy, quit, and go somewhere else where your time and work is better appreciated.

Also most of these employees don't KNOW that it's illegal. They don't know it's even something they need to look up. They take it at face value because it's their first job, or their first job since they retired in another state 20 years ago, or they just plain don't know any better.
A restaurant owner would be foolish to violate the employee payment laws. An employee could work there for 6 months or a year, and then hire a lawyer who would gladly sue the restaurant for back pay and legal expenses. I certainly wouldn't risk it. The restaurant is stealing money from their employees. A tip is the property of the server who receives it, unless it is legally pooled.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
A restaurant owner would be foolish to violate the employee payment laws. An employee could work there for 6 months or a year, and then hire a lawyer who would gladly sue the restaurant for back pay and legal expenses. I certainly wouldn't risk it. The restaurant is stealing money from their employees. A tip is the property of the server who receives it, unless it is legally pooled.
I don't know if there is any employee there that's been there longer than a month. When I say "high turnover" I mean HIGH turnover. Every time I go there, there are brand new employees, and they still don't have enough wait staff to handle the number of tables there, so they just - don't fill them all. Their customer base has dwindled because of it. Last time I was there I ordered over the phone for a pick-up. They said 20 minutes. I got there in around 15. I waited another 45 minutes for the order because they were backed up - with fewer than 10 tables occupied. They had two servers that shift, and one was standing in as hostess. I don't know what the manager was doing, or even if he was there at the time.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,791 Times in 5,285 Posts

Quote:
The employee is /supposed/ to declare 100% of their income including tips, and take whatever deductions they're entitled to take, whether standard or itemized.

But at the restaurant in my posts, the server gets to keep all cash tips. Only the credit card tips are pooled, and employees (all of them) end up averaging $10/hour in their paychecks. That's why I think there's some pretty shady shenanigans going on with their manager or store owner.

It also explains the high turnover there.
The server doesn't need to declare 100 percent of their tip income. The IRS has an 8 percent rule for restaurant tip income. The restaurant is required to calculate 8 percent of their total gross income and provide a Form W-2 to each tipped employee based a proration of the number of hours they worked during the year. Then, the employee can either pay income taxes based on the W-2, or they can dispute the amount and declare a smaller amount of tip income.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We like it as well. We will have dinner there but Koyame we have takeout.

However understand that Koyame was sold some months ago and the prior owners are refurbishing and opening a new place on 466. Will definitely give it a try
I didn't know that. Thank you for the information about Koyame. We have dined there too. Do you know the name of their new restaurant on 466?
Old 09-01-2022, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Love their crab fried rice.
I haven't tried that but will next time we dine there.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
My excitement that FMK is opening up an operation in SS goes well beyond getting another quality restaurant in the area. Reading between the lines, we all know the developer won’t disclose to the general public any detailed future plans for the area. On the other hand, it’s highly likely an experienced and successful businesses operator such as FMK wouldn’t sign a lease and commit significant capital to a new business venture without answers to some critical questions about the areas future. I highly doubt FMK would make such a commitment without assurances that things like nightly entertainment and special events like the “Cruise In” are in the long term future plans of SS. Although nobody knows the future, this is no doubt a positive sign!
I like your thought process. I want nothing more than for Spanish Springs to thrive.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Coastal Del Mar a seafood grill.
Which is it????

Coastal Del Mar or Kung Fu Chef Asian Restaurant?
Old 09-01-2022, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,303 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
As I was told by someone who works in this restaurant, it's 25% of the TIPS that are deducted as their total taxes. That is what their boss told them, as an explanation of their paycheck. But it might just be more scamming and skimming of employee income.
If it's on their paycheck, it's actual withholding, not "scamming or skimming"...

That said, they'll get it back when they pay their taxes, as someone who only makes $10/hr pays virtually no federal taxes...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-01-2022, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,303 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The server doesn't need to declare 100 percent of their tip income. The IRS has an 8 percent rule for restaurant tip income. The restaurant is required to calculate 8 percent of their total gross income and provide a Form W-2 to each tipped employee based a proration of the number of hours they worked during the year. Then, the employee can either pay income taxes based on the W-2, or they can dispute the amount and declare a smaller amount of tip income.
Facts are better than anecdotes...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-01-2022, 09:24 PM
Platinum member

Another steak house in the Spanish Springs area? There is a Longhorn, an Outback and a Texas Roadhouse within 2 miles of Spanish Springs. If there ever was a case of two many(including others not listed) restaurants in an area, this is a prime example.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,029 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Which is it????

Coastal Del Mar or Kung Fu Chef Asian Restaurant?
Coastal Del Mar replaces Farmshed American Diner (Spanish Springs).

Kung Fu Chefs Asian Restaurant goes where China Buffet used to be (Southern Trace Plaza).
Old 09-02-2022, 02:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Just read on the online news site that the Farmshed venue is being taken over by the FMK Restaurant Group. That’s the best news I have heard regarding the Spanish Springs area in a long time. In my opinion FMK is the premier restaurant operator in the entire Villages, operating establishments like the Chop House and Blue Fin. Hopefully they will continue the excellence and open a comparable restaurant in Spaninh Springs. My vote would be for another seafood place similar to Blue Fin : )
Ditto. Love Blue Fin.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:33 AM
Veteran member

My friends and I tip at least 20% or more. We tip cash and we make sure the waiter or waitress gets the tip before we leave the table.
Closed Thread

Tags
tonight, farmshed, adios, steak, replaced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.