Amerikanos Grille (poor treatment of applicants)

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2022, 07:32 AM
Default Amerikanos Grille (poor treatment of applicants)

My very sweet 33 year old niece put in a job application at Amerikanos Grille in Spanish Springs. She is new to the Villages so naturally I took her to the square to put in applications since she has extensive service experience. I sat at the bar outside and she went inside to fill fill out an application and speak to management.. I was not “ holding her hand”! She came over to me for a few minutes and sat beside me to get a couple of phone numbers for the app and then continued to be interviewed by the staff.
She was told to return for work the next day at 2:30 p.m. (at lease that is how it was presented to her). I paid my bill and together we both left.

The next day my niece got dressed up and was ready to start her new job. I dropped her off at Amerikanos on the golf cart at 2: 30 and came home. Shortly after, I received a phone call from her; she was walking home and very upset. She told me that management had told her that she was not hired, she was to come in for an interview, and they were not comfortable hiring her because it was reported that "SHE STAYED AT THE VENUE AFTER APPLYING AND DRANK SHOTS OF FIREBALL AT THE BAR!". She pleaded with them that this was not true, but was told that she would not be hired. I
I was flabbergasted that they would make up such a story and went to talk to management. I attempted to angrily talk to the manager and let her know that this was false. My niece had never been to the square, drank nothing and I was sitting there the entire time she was filling out an application. The manager walked away and wouldn't even listen.
I have heard this kind of thing is common with the businesses in the square. Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?

Last edited by jricci13; 07-23-2022 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 07-23-2022, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

With the amount of restaurants looking for help I would just chalk it up as a bad experience and move on. There are plenty of other places that will hire her.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-23-2022, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricci13 View Post
My very sweet 33 year old niece put in a job application at Amerikanos Grille in Spanish Springs. She is new to the Villages so naturally I took her to the square to put in applications since she has extensive service experience. I sat at the bar and drank a draft beer while she spoke to management and filled out an application. She came over to me for a few minutes and sat beside me to get a couple of phone numbers for the app and then continued to be interviewed by the staff. She was told to return for work the next day at 2:30 p.m. (at lease that is how it was presented to her). I paid my bill and together we both left.

The next day my niece got dressed up and was ready to start her new job. I dropped her off at Amerikanos on the golf cart at 2: 30 and came home. Shortly after, I received a phone call from her; she was walking home and very upset. She told me that management had told her that she was not hired, she was to come in for an interview, and they were not comfortable hiring her because it was reported that "SHE STAYED AT THE VENUE AFTER APPLYING AND DRANK SHOTS OF FIREBALL AT THE BAR!". She pleaded with them that this was not true, but was told that she would not be hired. I
I was flabbergasted that they would make up such a story and went to talk to management. I attempted to angrily talk to the manager and let her know that this was false. My niece had never been to the square, drank nothing and I was sitting there the entire time she was filling out an application. The manager walked away and wouldn't even listen.
I have heard this kind of thing is common with the businesses in the square. Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?
Interesting.

The first thought that entered my mind reading the OP occurred far before the concluding paragraphs, when I read the phrase " I sat at the bar and drank a draft beer while she spoke to management and filled out an application. She came over to me for a few minutes and sat beside me to get a couple of phone numbers for the app".

That thought was "red flag".

Maybe the niece didn't drink anything. But appearance is reality. Had the writer of the OP sat at a table and ordered a coffee instead of at the bar drinking beer, I doubt this would have happened. Amerikanos was remiss in how they handled it (a phone call to the niece would have had the same result) but their reaction, in my opinion, was warranted--and prudent.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but as an employer, I would prefer that a 33-year old job applicant show up for an interview by themselves. I would also prefer that they have a vehicle.

Employers are afraid of being sued, so they don't always tell an applicant the truth about why they were not hired.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Well, sounds like a bad experience and shame on the restaurant.
In the long run, it's probably better that she's not working there.
Take a deep breath and move on.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

As someone who was responsible for interviewing people at a retail gig in the past, I'd say I wouldn't have hired her at all. Not because of the shots at the bar thing. But rather, because of Auntie being in the room while the initial meeting takes place. Any potential employee should know that if they can't stand on their own two feet, independently without "mommy" in the room, should learn to do that before applying for jobs. Auntie should've dropped the 33-year-old adult woman off and left the building.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but as an employer, I would prefer that a 33-year old job applicant show up for an interview by themselves. I would also prefer that they have a vehicle.

Employers are afraid of being sued, so they don't always tell an applicant the truth about why they were not hired.
100% concur. If the niece were 16-21 applying for a hostess position, okay - maybe. But 33 for a bar spot? Hard no. Tells me they are not independent enough (thinking or otherwise), may not have reliable transportation, will have family hovering (helicopter family) over them and/or interfering while they work, and apparently in any discipline. The OP was wrong to approach management in any way on behalf of a grown-a$$ woman.

The fact the OP came here to try to smear the potential employer tells me even more about them and their niece. Red flags waving all over the place here, IMHO.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 07-23-2022 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Additional thought.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricci13 View Post
My very sweet 33 year old niece put in a job application at Amerikanos Grille in Spanish Springs. She is new to the Villages so naturally I took her to the square to put in applications since she has extensive service experience. I sat at the bar and drank a draft beer while she spoke to management and filled out an application. She came over to me for a few minutes and sat beside me to get a couple of phone numbers for the app and then continued to be interviewed by the staff. She was told to return for work the next day at 2:30 p.m. (at lease that is how it was presented to her). I paid my bill and together we both left.

Thank goodness she dodged that bullet……could you imagine working with someone like that. Best place would be Legacy staff there are simply the best
Old 07-23-2022, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Well, sounds like a bad experience and shame on the restaurant.
In the long run, it's probably better that she's not working there.
Take a deep breath and move on.
Agreed.

Even allowing that we only have one side of the story, it still looks bad for the hiring practices of the restaurant.

If the niece had stayed at the bar and caused a scene then sure, that is an individual I would not want working at my bar. But, that is so far from what was described that it seems unlikely.

- Did the business hold an interview out in the bar area and then become unhappy that one of the patrons was a relative? That would be an odd business practice.

- Did the business decide against hiring the individual based on their transportation situation? I guess if you have potential employees lining up at your door you can be that choosy.

- Did the niece have a drink at the bar and the restaurant decide "we wouldn't hire anyone who made the poor choice to actually drink here?"

It is odd to have an interview and make a hiring decision the same day the application was turned in. Something seems strange there.

Who knows? As someone else pointed out, there are many restaurants looking for help these days. Hopefully the niece can find a good fit at one of the others.

Still like the food, the experience of the OP won't keep me from going there.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 07-23-2022 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Interesting.

The first thought that entered my mind reading the OP occurred far before the concluding paragraphs, when I read the phrase " I sat at the bar and drank a draft beer while she spoke to management and filled out an application. She came over to me for a few minutes and sat beside me to get a couple of phone numbers for the app".

That thought was "red flag".

Maybe the niece didn't drink anything. But appearance is reality. Had the writer of the OP sat at a table and ordered a coffee instead of at the bar drinking beer, I doubt this would have happened. Amerikanos was remiss in how they handled it (a phone call to the niece would have had the same result) but their reaction, in my opinion, was warranted--and prudent.
Really …..The restaurants actions were warranted really wow
Old 07-23-2022, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

What if she did stay and have a drink? I don't see how that relates to the job (it's not drinking or being inebriated while at work)..
Old 07-23-2022, 12:55 PM
Platinum member

We need Paul Harvey to tell us " the rest of the story".
Old 07-23-2022, 01:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

You should have just dropped of your niece and went for a walk, she should be a big girl now.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:48 PM
Veteran member

That makes sense.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
We need Paul Harvey to tell us " the rest of the story".
I Agree!
Closed Thread

Tags
told, application, square, management, amerikanos

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.