Applebee's - Spanish Springs

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2023, 01:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Applebee's - Spanish Springs

We have seldom had a meal as depressing as yesterday evening's at Applebee's.

It has always been a dark place inside, but usually enlivened by a crowd of diners.

Yesterday - a Saturday evening - it was maybe 10% full. Yet there were seven people waiting in front of us and it took 15 minutes for us to be seated. Several who came in after us left before being seated.

Around a quarter of the unoccupied tables were waiting to be bussed, which gave the whole place a feeling of neglect.

Never again - we'd have been better off grabbing a burger next door at Wendy's.
Old 07-16-2023, 02:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,615 Times in 946 Posts

Yeah, we fancy like Applebee's on a date night
Got that Bourbon Street steak with the Oreo shake
Get some whipped cream on the top too
Two straws, one check, girl, I got you
Old 07-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Sad it used to be our go to restaurants for lunch and often for dinner when living in Va.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Unfortunate. We've not eaten at that particular Applebee's but that has not been our experience eating at other Applebee's here and there. Nothing fancy but good value for money and very good service.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Every restaurant has the same problem, inadequate staffing due to difficulty hiring dependable employees.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Every restaurant has the same problem, inadequate staffing due to difficulty hiring dependable employees.
I think that must be it.

The food was fine and the service was friendly and quick once it got going.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Why is this happening now??
Old 07-17-2023, 04:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Now that IS the question. This area may not have the diversity in its population needed to fill jobs. By diversity I mean to say age, proximity to employment opportunity, socio-economic condition, language skills, yada, yada, yada. We are in a huge geographical bubble saturated with old folks of questionably slightly better than average means. At least that might be one reason. You could throw in a little bit of lack of work ethic and laziness but I don’t think that is the major reason
Old 07-17-2023, 05:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,057 Times in 539 Posts
Default Exactly

Quote:
The Bonefish was the same way for us. Our exceptions with much better service have all been further outside the bubble. Ocala, Inverness, Wesley Chapel and even Leesburg all have great dining experiences.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 07-17-2023, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

It has always been a dark place inside, but usually enlivened by a crowd of diners.

Yesterday - a Saturday evening - it was maybe 10% full. Yet there were seven people waiting in front of us and it took 15 minutes for us to be seated. Several who came in after us left before being seated.

Around a quarter of the unoccupied tables were waiting to be bussed, which gave the whole place a feeling of neglect.

This is especially disappointing for me and my husband because for some reason when we moved out of our former home to come here last November our neighbors gave us a $100 Applebees GC as a farewell gift. We haven’t gone there yet because we live down south in DeLuna, but we were planning to eventually. While we appreciate their thoughtfulness we are still wondering why that was their choice of GCs since we have no Applebees restaurants anywhere close to where we used to live. Maybe we need to go outside the bubble to find a better Applebees. 😊
Old 07-17-2023, 05:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We've always liked Applebees in other places, in fact we would look for one when traveling because they were dependably good, but I agree, the one in Spanish springs is just awful.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:46 AM

No-one wantsto work anymore! Its that way everywhere. We eat at home more ,no sense of going out and getting ticked off.
We have a couple of certain places where we will go and not get ripped off ,you take a chance anymore going out to eat ,foods are expensive .
Old 07-17-2023, 05:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Now that IS the question. This area may not have the diversity in its population needed to fill jobs. By diversity I mean to say age, proximity to employment opportunity, socio-economic condition, language skills, yada, yada, yada. We are in a huge geographical bubble saturated with old folks of questionably slightly better than average means. At least that might be one reason. You could throw in a little bit of lack of work ethic and laziness but I don’t think that is the major reason
It's not just in TV, when we went back to Tennessee for a visit with family, restaurants there were not sufficiently staffed.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
In my opinion, it's happening now because anybody who is able-bodied that wants to work hard is building houses in TV. That's where the money and job security is.

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 05:56 AM
Default Same thing here…

We recently went to the same Applebees. I thought it was just me thinking that the service was extremely slow! We went in, absolutely famished, and the service was (and I am not over exaggerating), extremely slow. It took forever to have lunch, and it was not like it was overly crowded. I may give them yet another chance, because I too like Applebees, but I will try it at a time, where I have all the time in the world…so it may be a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

Closed Thread

Tags
place, applebees, waiting, yesterday, unoccupied

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.