Applebee's - Spanish Springs

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2023, 10:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,641 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
We are just average folksy people here, but it is not a crime to like aged beef on rare occasions (once or twice a year). We are no better than anybody else and can’t stand the snooty. We like all food and many restaurants in the local area. Gio’s and Francesco’s are both in the northern area and we tend to frequent them. We love fresh cooked food and it isn’t necessarily high priced in many situations. I’m just saying it isn’t a catastrophe to loose a chain restaurant like Applebees. We love the squares and we love our community, you don’t have to spend a mint to enjoy a nice night out here. We also don’t have to pay for or consume food that was placed in boil bags or microwaved to be served to me. Applebee’s is a poor example of the restaurant middle man model.
I’m not a fan of Applebees-type restaurants either - but happy for those that enjoy them and frequent them. I have found that most of these chains all source their items from the same distributor (often times Sysco), and is why the chicken, fish, beef, vegetables, etc all taste the same (pre-cooked and pre-seasoned just nuke it or boil it) from an Applebees to a Ruby Tuesday to a Chili’s to a Red Lobster to a Olive Garden, even to a Cheesecake Factory or a PF Changs. The folks in the kitchen aren’t trained chefs, but folks that learned how to open bags of already prepared foods and nuke them or boil them, and maybe add some pre-made, packaged sauce to them to try to set them apart.

I understand the desire to go out and be “served” and not cook, so maybe these type of restaurants serve that option for some. I personally, living here less than a year, have searched out and found some locally owned mom-and-pop type places outside the “bubble” that are actually cheaper than some of the chains inside The Villages, with fresher and more unique type of entrees.

It’s good to have options, isn’t it, so everyone can be happy!😀
Old 07-18-2023, 02:07 PM
Unhappy Applebees in Spanish Springs is Awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Unfortunate. We've not eaten at that particular Applebee's but that has not been our experience eating at other Applebee's here and there. Nothing fancy but good value for money and very good service.
The place is not clean, the food is terrible the service is non existent and you are right, it is dark and dingy. My husband and I went just once a year ago…never again. We are turned off of all Applebees.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I think that must be it.

The food was fine and the service was friendly and quick once it got going.
Oddly, you neglected to mention this point in your OP. Just in a bashing mood?
Old 07-18-2023, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Isn't that Covid funding just about coming to a end??
The unemployment "bonuses" ended over a year ago, and the regular unemployment in the state of Florida is only for 12 weeks. So anyone who became unemployed as a result of COVID shut-downs and hasn't returned to work, has been unemployed, with NO benefits, for over a year.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:43 PM

Sorry you didn't like Applebees . We eat there frequently so we must find the food and service to be very good.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Oddly, you neglected to mention this point in your OP. Just in a bashing mood?
If I had been "bashing" I would not have mentioned it in a subsequent post, either.

The place was dark and dingy, the 15 minute wait when the place was mainly empty was annoying and the numerous uncleared/uncleaned tables were unattractive. In my book, the "fine" food and good service did not outweigh the negatives, when there are plenty of alternative places to go for dinner.

Sorry if you disagree - that is your prerogative - so please do continue to enjoy your visits to Applebee's.

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 07-19-2023 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m not a fan of Applebees-type restaurants either - but happy for those that enjoy them and frequent them. I have found that most of these chains all source their items from the same distributor (often times Sysco), and is why the chicken, fish, beef, vegetables, etc all taste the same (pre-cooked and pre-seasoned just nuke it or boil it) from an Applebees to a Ruby Tuesday to a Chili’s to a Red Lobster to a Olive Garden, even to a Cheesecake Factory or a PF Changs. The folks in the kitchen aren’t trained chefs, but folks that learned how to open bags of already prepared foods and nuke them or boil them, and maybe add some pre-made, packaged sauce to them to try to set them apart.

I understand the desire to go out and be “served” and not cook, so maybe these type of restaurants serve that option for some. I personally, living here less than a year, have searched out and found some locally owned mom-and-pop type places outside the “bubble” that are actually cheaper than some of the chains inside The Villages, with fresher and more unique type of entrees.

It’s good to have options, isn’t it, so everyone can be happy!😀
Would love to know where you go outside the bubble. Maybe in a new post someday? I really enjoy your posts as a newbie too here in TV.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Why is this happening now??
I was talking to two late-20s on an airplane out of Orlando. They basically said that they had been working in the restaurant business for years. When covid struck they decided that they needed careers that would be more stable and both got jobs working from home even with a cut in pay.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-29-2023, 05:26 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,641 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
Would love to know where you go outside the bubble. Maybe in a new post someday? I really enjoy your posts as a newbie too here in TV.
Thanks Nana —

I tried to send you a private message, but your profile is not set up to allow me.

I have a rather sizable list of really good places outside the bubble that I have tried since moving here (I eat out probably 5-6 times per week).

In the interest of brevity, here are a few:

Mt Dora - Goblin Market
Clermont - Guru and Clermont Fish House
Wildwood - Miz Kathi’s Cotillion Cafe
Lake Panasoffkee - Catfish Johnny’s
Inverness - The Diner (Breakfast)
Ocala - Haeorum Foods / Cafe Havana / Amrit Palace / Bagelicious / Yummy House
Leesburg - Turner’s
Tavares - Fish Camp / Tiki West / BTW

Last edited by Michael 61; 07-29-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
place, applebees, waiting, yesterday, unoccupied

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.