Athens Greek Restaurant: Attitude AND bad food

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Default Athens Greek Restaurant: Attitude AND bad food

A friend and I stopped for breakfast. The "Host" showed us to a small round table. I had eaten at that same table earlier in the week and found it uncomfortable so I asked if we could have one of the empty larger tables nearby. He acted displeased so I told him I thought the round table was a little tall for the chair or maybe the chair too low for me (I'm 4'11") but instead of being gracious about giving us a different table he began arguing that all their tables and chairs are the same height and he just wouldn't quit. As he seated us at a different table, still arguing, I told him "Look. You win. I must be wrong, okay?" After that, things got progressively worse. The Greek French toast with feta cheese, lemon juice and strawberries sounded delicious so we ordered it with crisp bacon. It turned out to be 2 thick slices of bread
that had been so quick-dipped in egg mix that only the outside of the bread was coated...the inside was dry and white. There was no hide nor hair nor taste of feta cheese or lemon. There were no strawberries. There was no syrup. The bacon was half cooked and fatty. Our coffee had been drunk waiting for the food and we got no re-fill or even a glass of water. Some minutes after we finally asked another server to help, our server took our request for the missing items. Another 5 minutes passed before he plunked down a cup containing a few chunks of plain strawberries, another 10 minutes before we got a little syrup and some coffee to help choke down this cold, dry and very expensive breakfast. (8.95 plus tax and tip) Now I would hate to think that the "Host" had anything to do with our bad food and service even though he made a point of going around filling everyone's coffee cups but ours. And had it not been for his parting shot as we left ( "Next time you come in I'll remember not to put you at a round table") we might even have given them the befit of the doubt and gone back another time. But with that kind of attitude up front, we'll never go back.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I've never been, but I think this is the first negative I have read about Athens. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Sage

Athens is our favorite. Katie Bells used to serve breakfast on the patio Mon - Fridays and I notice only a very few went to Athens. Then I noticed more and more went there. We tried it and have been going there ever since. In fact Katie Bells now no longer serves breakfast during the week, I'm sure by being beat out by Athens. Now it is no longer a best kept secret. Athens serves breakfast during the week for $3.99 for 2 eggs, potatoes, toast and INCLUDING coffee. I don't know how they do it. The food is good and plentiful. On weekends it is $3.50 plus about $1.89 for coffee.
We love to set on the patio, watch the people go by and even in the hot summer the patio is cool and in the shade during breakfast. Very many people have discovered Athens and it now requires patrons to get there before 9:00 AM or wait for a table.
My hope is that Athens opens another place in Colony or Brownwood.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaoke Junkie View Post
A friend and I stopped for breakfast. The "Host" showed us to a small round table. I had eaten at that same table earlier in the week and found it uncomfortable so I asked if we could have one of the empty larger tables nearby. He acted displeased so I told him I thought the round table was a little tall for the chair or maybe the chair too low for me (I'm 4'11") but instead of being gracious about giving us a different table he began arguing that all their tables and chairs are the same height and he just wouldn't quit. As he seated us at a different table, still arguing, I told him "Look. You win. I must be wrong, okay?" After that, things got progressively worse. The Greek French toast with feta cheese, lemon juice and strawberries sounded delicious so we ordered it with crisp bacon. It turned out to be 2 thick slices of bread
that had been so quick-dipped in egg mix that only the outside of the bread was coated...the inside was dry and white. There was no hide nor hair nor taste of feta cheese or lemon. There were no strawberries. There was no syrup. The bacon was half cooked and fatty. Our coffee had been drunk waiting for the food and we got no re-fill or even a glass of water. Some minutes after we finally asked another server to help, our server took our request for the missing items. Another 5 minutes passed before he plunked down a cup containing a few chunks of plain strawberries, another 10 minutes before we got a little syrup and some coffee to help choke down this cold, dry and very expensive breakfast. (8.95 plus tax and tip) Now I would hate to think that the "Host" had anything to do with our bad food and service even though he made a point of going around filling everyone's coffee cups but ours. And had it not been for his parting shot as we left ( "Next time you come in I'll remember not to put you at a round table") we might even have given them the befit of the doubt and gone back another time. But with that kind of attitude up front, we'll never go back.
Based on many meals, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner I would have to conclude that these criticisms are exaggerated and probably unwarranted.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Platinum member

Sorry you had a bad experience. Our many visits have been consistently very good. We enjoy the place. BTW - the desserts are exceptional.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
Sorry you had a bad experience. Our many visits have been consistently very good. We enjoy the place. BTW - the desserts are exceptional.
NY Athens is one of our favorite restaurants in TV. Hope you give it another try and find the experience as pleasant as we always have.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM

We have always found it a great place to go, please give it a second chance.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencus View Post
Based on many meals, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner I would have to conclude that these criticisms are exaggerated and probably unwarranted.
I am sure that your experiences at Athens were very different from OP's, but you have no idea what his experience was like. The restaurant may have had the only bad 30 minute stretch they will have all year. I would suggest to everyone that if you disagree with something, simply say that your experience there was quite different. Implications that OP was "exaggerating" are uncalled for unless you were there while it was happening.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Gold member

We love Athens.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I am sure that your experiences at Athens were very different from OP's, but you have no idea what his experience was like. The restaurant may have had the only bad 30 minute stretch they will have all year. I would suggest to everyone that if you disagree with something, simply say that your experience there was quite different. Implications that OP was "exaggerating" are uncalled for unless you were there while it was happening.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Sage
Default Another Athens Fan

This wannabee makes it a point to visit Athens every time I visit TV. I would encourage you to give Athens another try. I love to sit outside and watch the people and golf carts cruise by.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Sage
Default Agree with OP

We too had a bad experience with Athens. We went about 4 months ago for their seafood bucket special. When we entered, we saw a lot of tables with the buckets on them and they were large buckets, actually too large for four buckets to fit on the table. The charge was 19.99. We awaited anxiously for our seafood bucket to come and were we surprised when it did. We pulled out a net of a couple of little scallops, two little shrimp and a few small clams. All of this for 19.99. Really! We all were embarrassed for the restaurant for serving these little morsels of seafood on this giant bucket to make it look like we were getting a lot. If they charged 9.99 it would have been plenty. We also went again for breakfast. I agree some of the tables are way too small. I had French toast and it was dry and not warm. Coffee was ok. Hubby had an omelette and he was happy with his. We haven't been back since. I also get the feeling it is not too clean. I'd like to see the kitchen reviews on this restaurant. This is just my experience and I'm happy that others have had good service and food here. We will give our business to Sunrise Cafe.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

I'm sorry you had a bad experience...we love Athens and have always had great service and delicious food!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

To paraphrase Ole Abe, you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I'm really shocked to read about a bad experience at Athens restaurant. We have had many, many good meals there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.