Ay Jalisco

Old 04-11-2024, 06:11 PM
Default Ay Jalisco

If ever you find yourself tootling along in your golf cart, feeling rather peckish, and you pass Ay Jalisco, just keep going. Nothing to ‘eat’ here.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,093 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
If ever you find yourself tootling along in your golf cart, feeling rather peckish, and you pass Ay Jalisco, just keep going. Nothing to ‘eat’ here.
Nonsense, we enjoy going there. One of the more consistently decent and good value restaurants in the Villages.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Nonsense, we enjoy going there. One of the more consistently decent and good value restaurants in the Villages.
And here we have the perfect example of where we are all today. One extreme and the other. Was the original post a restaurant review? I don't think so. Meant to get the extreme response or at least confirmation of the point of view expressed.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Very mediocre food and terrible service. I asked the server if they could make the tacos with ground beef. She said yes, but brought me tacos with shredded pork, and never returned to the table. I left no tip.

I hate to say it, but the best tacos in The Villages are at Taco Bell. They use ground beef, and they have actual taco sauce. Other Mexican restaurants use shredded beef or chicken, and, if you ask for taco sauce, you get a blank stare.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-11-2024 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote:
About same as rest average at best.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I remember going to the restaurants in the Villages for the first time. Disappointment is an understatement. After nearly 20 years living here, I cannot give you a solid recommendation. One or two items are tasty in most of the restaurants. You should try various dishes until you find something you like. Orlando and Ocala have great restaurants. The only time we dine out is when we are out of the bubble.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry to disagree. It is my favorite Mexican restaurant around here.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:21 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,652 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
I completely agree - one visit was enough
Old 04-12-2024, 02:51 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Very mediocre food and terrible service. I asked the server if they could make the tacos with ground beef. She said yes, but brought me tacos with shredded pork, and never returned to the table. I left no tip.

I hate to say it, but the best tacos in The Villages are at Taco Bell. They use ground beef, and they have actual taco sauce. Other Mexican restaurants use shredded beef or chicken, and, if you ask for taco sauce, you get a blank stare.
Like most folks (myself included), I see you like TexMex, not Mexican. Unfortunately, the farther you get from the Texas, the less likely you are to get TexMex. Real Mexican restaurants are usually run by real Mexicans, and that's what you usually find, when you find a Mexican restaurant 1,500 miles from Texas.

I haven't had a decent fajita since we moved here from Houston. Like Quesadilla's, it's not a dish you would find in Mexico. And I completely agree -- tacos are not improved with pork or shredded beef, much less fish! But I love fajita burritos if they're made with real grilled steak.

That said, I think Ay Jalisco is better than some of the other Mexican joints we've tried here. I'd hate to see them close.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Like most folks (myself included), I see you like TexMex, not Mexican. Unfortunately, the farther you get from the Texas, the less likely you are to get TexMex. Real Mexican restaurants are usually run by real Mexicans, and that's what you usually find, when you find a Mexican restaurant 1,500 miles from Texas.

I haven't had a decent fajita since we moved here from Houston. Like Quesadilla's, it's not a dish you would find in Mexico. And I completely agree -- tacos are not improved with pork or shredded beef, much less fish! But I love fajita burritos if they're made with real grilled steak.

That said, I think Ay Jalisco is better than some of the other Mexican joints we've tried here. I'd hate to see them close.
Ooh, I love fish tacos. But I think they might be Californian.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post

Agreed. My love for Tex-Mex was cultivated over many years in Houston. Usually, though, when we visited Tex-Mex restaurants, we opted for cheaper Tex-Mex combos with enchiladas, tacos, and, of course, rice and beans. etc. When we did splurge on fajitas, I loved Pappasitos (any location) or Ninfa's on Navigation. Whose did you enjoy?
Old 04-12-2024, 04:50 PM

You’re making my mouth water!
Old 04-12-2024, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,675 Times in 1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Ooh, I love fish tacos. But I think they might be Californian.
Fish tacos in Ensenada are good, like most in California. Remember, California once was part of Mexico, like Texas. Mexican food changes as you travel through Mexico and southwestern US. My taste in Mexican cuisine follows what I grew up with in Southern California and Baja. Note, it ain't Tex-Mex. Sorry, but Taco Bell is not Mexican. Just imitation. The closest to us that tastes kinda like home is Las Magueyes.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:39 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,652 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Fish tacos in Ensenada are good, like most in California. Remember, California once was part of Mexico, like Texas. Mexican food changes as you travel through Mexico and southwestern US. My taste in Mexican cuisine follows what I grew up with in Southern California and Baja. Note, it ain't Tex-Mex. Sorry, but Taco Bell is not Mexican. Just imitation. The closest to us that tastes kinda like home is Las Magueyes.
I’m also a native Californian, and grew up eating really good mom-and-pop Mexican several times a week (very different than Tex-Mex). Lots of fresh seafood is incorporated into California Mexican cuisine, since the proximity to the Pacific. (Ceviche - yummy!)

Going out for good Mexican and Chinese is always at the top of my list when out on the West Coast.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Can someone please explain to me why you can get taco sauce at Taco Bell, but, when you order tacos at any other restaurant, they don't even know what taco sauce is?

Tags
jalisco, ‘eat’, pass, peckish, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.