Ay Jalisco

Old 04-13-2024, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Very mediocre food and terrible service. I asked the server if they could make the tacos with ground beef. She said yes, but brought me tacos with shredded pork, and never returned to the table. I left no tip.

I hate to say it, but the best tacos in The Villages are at Taco Bell. They use ground beef, and they have actual taco sauce. Other Mexican restaurants use shredded beef or chicken, and, if you ask for taco sauce, you get a blank stare.
In Mexican cuisine nor TexMex is there anything called “Taco Sauce.” What you are eating at Taco Bell is an American fast food concoction - but keep eating it if you like it. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:19 PM
Default For Florida, pretty good Mexican food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
If ever you find yourself tootling along in your golf cart, feeling rather peckish, and you pass Ay Jalisco, just keep going. Nothing to ‘eat’ here.
We are from Texas, so the bar is a little higher. Ay Jalisco is AUTHENTIC Mexican and the service is just fine. The flavor is going to be a bit more 'bland'. While we miss our Tex-Mex food from home, this is pretty good. Just add some hot sauce to give it a zing.. We have always been happy with the food AND service.

All you who complain about service (here or any other restaurant). Give it a rest. These are human beings and no one is perfect or having a great day every day
. I've always found their servers to be great at service, and several have been there for years. Maybe you were not clear on your preferences.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

Ay Jalisco is a chain restaurant. If you are searching for authentic Mexican you need to dine at mom-and-pop types. Ocala has several.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,534 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Ay Jalisco is a chain restaurant. If you are searching for authentic Mexican you need to dine at mom-and-pop types. Ocala has several.
Ay! Jalisco is a FAMILY-operated small-chain restaurant. I think they have just three stores; one in Spanish Springs, one in Clermont, and a third in Sebastian. Definitely a mom and pop type.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Ay! Jalisco is a FAMILY-operated small-chain restaurant. I think they have just three stores; one in Spanish Springs, one in Clermont, and a third in Sebastian. Definitely a mom and pop type.
There are several in South Florida a little north of West Palm Beach. The first was in Vero Beach. There may be one in Orlando. My definition of mom and pop type is family runs the entire restaurant. No outsiders. With 6-8 restaurants in this area, I consider it a chain restaurant.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 04-15-2024 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Lots of fresh seafood is incorporated into California Mexican cuisine, since the proximity to the Pacific. (Ceviche - yummy!)
I stopped at a roadside tent north of San Diego in the early 70s and was introduced to fish and shrimp tacos. As a midwestern I thought the old Mexican lady was nuts when she recommended it, seafood in a taco?! Yummy!
Old 04-16-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Can someone please explain to me why you can get taco sauce at Taco Bell, but, when you order tacos at any other restaurant, they don't even know what taco sauce is?
Taco Bell is not a Mexican restaurant. That is like going to McDonald's for a steak.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,534 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
There are several in South Florida a little north of West Palm Beach. The first was in Vero Beach. There may be one in Orlando. My definition of mom and pop type is family runs the entire restaurant. No outsiders. With 6-8 restaurants in this area, I consider it a chain restaurant.
It's all family owned. It's not owned by a corporation, and it's not franchised. So yes it's a chain. But it's a family owned and operated chain, restricted to just a handful or two of restaurants in the same state.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's all family owned. It's not owned by a corporation, and it's not franchised. So yes it's a chain. But it's a family owned and operated chain, restricted to just a handful or two of restaurants in the same state.
My son lives in West Palm Beach. Ay Jalisco started in Vero Beach. It was very popular with lines out the door. They added 2 new restaurants. Throughout the years, they have continued to expand. Unfortunately, the food now served is not the same authentic Mexican that folks raved about. The family does own the business but are no longer involved in day-to-day operations.

Tags
jalisco, ‘eat’, pass, peckish, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.