Ay Jalisco

Old 04-13-2024, 08:59 AM

Campo Azul across the street from Walmart in Summerfield.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,692 Times in 3,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Isn't everyone entitled to their own opinion about what is delicious? To me, tacos and burritos are handheld foods, like hot dogs, burgers, and sandwiches. I don't like eating tacos and burritos with a knife and fork, which is usually the only way to eat them in most restaurants, along with rice and beans which most people leave on their plate. I like taco sauce, which is sold in grocery stores in a jar and included in the taco kits. It is not the same as salsa. The kit recipe calls for ground beef, not shredded beef. By the way, Taco Bell does not claim to be authentic Mexican food. They call it Mexican inspired food.
Your opinion would be more valid if you'd simply acknowledge that you don't like Mexican food. Rather, you like Mexican-inspired American fast food. You'd probably love TacoTime, which is like Taco Bell, but with fresher salsas.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorp View Post
I will stick to Fiesta Grande in Colony Plaza, as our favorite Mexican eatery in the bubble.
I liked Fiesta Grande, but I stopped going there after they'd been shut down for the second time in a year for health violations.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGirl View Post
Does Taco Bell REALLY use ground beef? Or the texture of ground beef?
They use real ground beef. It's brought in as chubs to a central kitchen somewhere, around 70% lean (30% fat and gristle). It's loaded into an industrial mixing vat and several sugars, corn starch, some spices, coloring agents, and emulsifiers are mixed in. Then it's cooked some how (No idea how, steamed maybe? Convection oven? Who knows), and loaded into measured plastic bags. The bags are then sent to the stores, and they rip the bags open and toss the contents into a steamer tray as needed.

The total contents of actual meat in the meat is 88%.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
My assessment is the rating of restaurants in TV depends on where you come from. Big cities, jobs that allowed you to entertain customers $$$, experience the best food wherever they were. Those that come from small cities, no real high line restaurants have a totally different opinion. I cannot recommend one restaurant here. A bunch of us eat outside of the TV and enjoy excellent food - large portions, tasty. My opinion is a 4 for most of the restaurants here.
it must be tough for all the gourmets living here . I guess I must have not developed my palate as well as others while living within walking distance of Bostons Chinatown , the Italian North End And the Boston water front and spending much of m life outside USA . However by not having the sophisticated palate of many on talk of the villages , I’ve been able to enjoy my self with the many other happy people eating in village restaurants that if we had lived in big cities we would realize how bad the food we are eating is . FYI your critique kind of went sideways when you used the words large portions. , I mean that’s always moves the meal up a couple of stars for some
Old 04-13-2024, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
This sounds great! What is the name of the restaurant? 301 near what other main street?
Viva Mexico Taqueria, on 301 up NEAR 42. Not golf cart accessible but if you know where the First Responders Rec Center is, exit onto 42 from their parking lot, take a left. A few blocks up you'll see the gates for the railroad track crossing, make sure you're in the left lane. Careful, there are potholes there. At that traffic light, take a left. Go up the hill, and then halfway down the hill you'll see their big feather flag near the street. Immediately after that is a U-Turn lane on the left. Make the u-turn and CAREFULLY drive into their dirt parking lot. More potholes.

It's basically a huge family compound with a food truck in front of it. They have chickens and an enormous farm dog (who is friendly and you should absolutely NOT feed any of their animals, it's disrespectful and unhealthy for them).

Nicest people in the world. If all the tables are occupied, just point to an empty chair and give one of the seated people a questioning glance. Chances are you'll be welcome to sit at their table so you don't have to eat standing up. There's no bathroom, and if you really need to rinse off your hands there's a spigot behind the tarp. Just make sure to use it sparingly, turn it off when you're done, and there aren't any paper towels.

It's about the most unpretentious place you could possibly choose for lunch. And it's absolutely delicious. Warning: you might find a chunk of asada that's all gristle. Just spit that chunk into your napkin and continue with your meal. Asada is made with skirt steak and that sometimes has gristle in it.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Of all industries that have to monitor social media for a firestorm, the restaurant industry faces the biggest tidal wave of negative reviews.

If you don't like the provided service or quality of the food, simply speak face-to-face with the owner/manager. There's no need to spam a negative review WITHOUT SPECIFIC REASONS all over un-social media....
I agree. What you forgot to address is there may be no need, but a big want. OP has been here a couple of weeks already. Welcome. Gonna fit right in!
Old 04-13-2024, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,970 Times in 5,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Your opinion would be more valid if you'd simply acknowledge that you don't like Mexican food. Rather, you like Mexican-inspired American fast food. You'd probably love TacoTime, which is like Taco Bell, but with fresher salsas.
Ok, I like Mexican-inspired American fast food. By the way Ay Jalisco has 100 Yelp reviews with an average rating of 2.6 of 5 stars. Not great.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Viva Mexico Taqueria, on 301 up NEAR 42. Not golf cart accessible but if you know where the First Responders Rec Center is, exit onto 42 from their parking lot, take a left. A few blocks up you'll see the gates for the railroad track crossing, make sure you're in the left lane. Careful, there are potholes there. At that traffic light, take a left. Go up the hill, and then halfway down the hill you'll see their big feather flag near the street. Immediately after that is a U-Turn lane on the left. Make the u-turn and CAREFULLY drive into their dirt parking lot. More potholes.

It's basically a huge family compound with a food truck in front of it. They have chickens and an enormous farm dog (who is friendly and you should absolutely NOT feed any of their animals, it's disrespectful and unhealthy for them).

Nicest people in the world. If all the tables are occupied, just point to an empty chair and give one of the seated people a questioning glance. Chances are you'll be welcome to sit at their table so you don't have to eat standing up. There's no bathroom, and if you really need to rinse off your hands there's a spigot behind the tarp. Just make sure to use it sparingly, turn it off when you're done, and there aren't any paper towels.

It's about the most unpretentious place you could possibly choose for lunch. And it's absolutely delicious. Warning: you might find a chunk of asada that's all gristle. Just spit that chunk into your napkin and continue with your meal. Asada is made with skirt steak and that sometimes has gristle in it.
great place took a friend there she was terrified of the dog but by the time we left she wanted to take the dog home
Old 04-13-2024, 10:50 AM

I personally like Casa Agave 90% of the time. The other 10% the flavor is there, but the meat is tough.

Just my 2 cents.

Good article re regional Mexican food:

The 7 Regions of Mexican Cuisine — Gusto Mexico
Old 04-13-2024, 11:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Ay Jalisco's is okay but nothing special for our tastes. We now go to a new ownership Mexican restaurant in Lady Lake called 'Fresh Jalapeno' which is owned by a Mother & Son who does all the cooking and everything is made fresh every day, and it is noticeable. They are on 441/27 before Fruitland Park at the red light on the right. Since we have been here, it has always been a Mexican eatery and it had frequent health issues but the new owners made it very clear that they have zero connection with any previous owners. Service was prompt, happy servers and very clean!
Glad to hear it and will give it a try. That location has seen many different restaurants through the years, Chinese, Texas Barbecue, a couple Mexican. Hope this one makes it.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleprice View Post
My wife and I love to eat at Moe's, which is on 441/27 near The Villages. They will make your Taco or Burrito with the meat and "toppings" that you designate. They also have a Salsa Bar with 5 or 6 different salsas, so you can add the sauce that you desire. Their prices are reasonable.
Love Moe's too, their salsas are really good, especially the cilantro.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
They use real ground beef. It's brought in as chubs to a central kitchen somewhere, around 70% lean (30% fat and gristle). It's loaded into an industrial mixing vat and several sugars, corn starch, some spices, coloring agents, and emulsifiers are mixed in. Then it's cooked some how (No idea how, steamed maybe? Convection oven? Who knows), and loaded into measured plastic bags. The bags are then sent to the stores, and they rip the bags open and toss the contents into a steamer tray as needed.

The total contents of actual meat in the meat is 88%.
The process doesn’t sound appetizing to me at all. Times sure have changed. I worked at Taco Bell as a high school student in the late 70s. My job was to cook the beef every afternoon. Back then, the meat was sourced from a local meat market. It would come into the store already ground (fresh not frozen). I would cook it in a large tub over a gas burner, adding several scoops of Taco Bell seasoning and water. Once cooked, I would transfer to smaller metal bins, that could fit in the steam table. The cooked beef would be kept in the walk-in no more than two days before being used. The taco meat had a way different taste back then than it does now.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Very mediocre food and terrible service. I asked the server if they could make the tacos with ground beef. She said yes, but brought me tacos with shredded pork, and never returned to the table. I left no tip.

I hate to say it, but the best tacos in The Villages are at Taco Bell. They use ground beef, and they have actual taco sauce. Other Mexican restaurants use shredded beef or chicken, and, if you ask for taco sauce, you get a blank stare.
That’s because there is NO such thing as taco sauce at a REAL Mexican restaurant. The meat is already seasoned. If you want it spicy ask for REAL homemade hot sauce. And they wouldn’t dare use ground beef either! Why bother? Best Mexican we’ve found is Casa Agave’. They do it right. Or as close to right as possible east of the Rio Grande.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Like most folks (myself included), I see you like TexMex, not Mexican. Unfortunately, the farther you get from the Texas, the less likely you are to get TexMex. Real Mexican restaurants are usually run by real Mexicans, and that's what you usually find, when you find a Mexican restaurant 1,500 miles from Texas.

I haven't had a decent fajita since we moved here from Houston. Like Quesadilla's, it's not a dish you would find in Mexico. And I completely agree -- tacos are not improved with pork or shredded beef, much less fish! But I love fajita burritos if they're made with real grilled steak.

That said, I think Ay Jalisco is better than some of the other Mexican joints we've tried here. I'd hate to see them close.
Casa Agave’ is MUCH better.

Tags
jalisco, ‘eat’, pass, peckish, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.