Steak

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2022, 02:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Steak

Who has the best, juiciest, most tender filet or rib eye, available in the area?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-16-2022, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

I stopped buying steak in restaurants. I buy 2-inch thick, half pound, USDA Prime filets at Publix for $30 per pound. I cook them on an electric grill at home, and they are way better and cheaper than in any restaurant that I have been to in the area. If you order a steak in a restaurant, you will most likely get USDA Choice or worse. If I go to a steak restaurant, I will usually order a hamburger or fish and chips.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I stopped buying steak in restaurants. I buy 2-inch thick, half pound, USDA Prime filets at Publix for $30 per pound. I cook them on an electric grill at home, and they are way better and cheaper than in any restaurant that I have been to in the area. If you order a steak in a restaurant, you will most likely get USDA Choice or worse. If I go to a steak restaurant, I will usually order a hamburger or fish and chips.
The problem I have in cooking steaks is you cannot get the stove hot enough to char the meat.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Who has the best, juiciest, most tender filet or rib eye, available in the area?
ChopHouse in Sumter has several prime cuts. I am a huge carnivore and I like their prime cuts.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The problem I have in cooking steaks is you cannot get the stove hot enough to char the meat.
I agree about home cooking. What I have started doing is putting a cast iron skillet on the grill. I get to 400deg and put a nice sear on the steak.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
I agree about home cooking. What I have started doing is putting a cast iron skillet on the grill. I get to 400deg and put a nice sear on the steak.
I have heard that it helps to put the steak in the freezer for about an hour before you try to sear it.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have heard that it helps to put the steak in the freezer for about an hour before you try to sear it.
New one on me, cooking shows say let it sit out to about room temp before cooking. Broiler just does not get hot enough and too much trouble to buy a propane grill and use it.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Oscar Penns in Inverness. The best melt in your mouth prime rib......Friday and Saturday menu only.

They also have a 2 inch pork chop that is unbeatable.

Anything on the menu is outstanding.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
New one on me, cooking shows say let it sit out to about room temp before cooking. Broiler just does not get hot enough and too much trouble to buy a propane grill and use it.
I think you should try it.

"A great steak has a beautiful brown crust, usually achieved in steakhouses with commercial grills and broilers that get much hotter than anything you have at home. A quick hit on that kind of equipment rapidly evaporates surface moisture on the steak and forms the perfectly charred crust.

But with a little trick from Cook’s Illustrated magazine, you can get close. Put your freshly salted steak in the freezer unwrapped on a rack over a paper-towel lined baking sheet for 45 minutes, right before you intend to cook. Freezers are incredibly dry environments (because the moisture in them, well, freezes) and so food placed in a freezer unwrapped dries very quickly. 45 minutes is just enough to dry out the surface without freezing the steak. Any longer than an hour and the steak may start to freeze.

After 45 minutes, take it out and start to grill or pan-sear right away.

(Most chefs recommend letting the steak come to room temperature before grilling or pan frying. The thinking is that if you start with cold meat, the tendency is to burn the outside before cooking the inside to desired doneness. I’ve never found that to be a problem with the “Restaurant Method” I describe below, and in this case, it would ruin the quick-freeze effect.)"
Old 09-16-2022, 05:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

We grill just about everything on our new Weber gas grill.

Steaks, hamburgers, pork chops, chicken, and ribs, pizza, and I can do it in flip flops and t-shirt.
Must be my Midwestern roots.
Don't have to fight the crowds, dress up, or pay high prices for a nicer meal you can make at home.

Grilling also helps to keeps the house cooler in these 90-degree days.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think you should try it.

"A great steak has a beautiful brown crust, usually achieved in steakhouses with commercial grills and broilers that get much hotter than anything you have at home. A quick hit on that kind of equipment rapidly evaporates surface moisture on the steak and forms the perfectly charred crust.

But with a little trick from Cook’s Illustrated magazine, you can get close. Put your freshly salted steak in the freezer unwrapped on a rack over a paper-towel lined baking sheet for 45 minutes, right before you intend to cook. Freezers are incredibly dry environments (because the moisture in them, well, freezes) and so food placed in a freezer unwrapped dries very quickly. 45 minutes is just enough to dry out the surface without freezing the steak. Any longer than an hour and the steak may start to freeze.

After 45 minutes, take it out and start to grill or pan-sear right away.

(Most chefs recommend letting the steak come to room temperature before grilling or pan frying. The thinking is that if you start with cold meat, the tendency is to burn the outside before cooking the inside to desired doneness. I’ve never found that to be a problem with the “Restaurant Method” I describe below, and in this case, it would ruin the quick-freeze effect.)"
Thanks I think I will give it a try next time we buy steak.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thanks I think I will give it a try next time we buy steak.

A reverse sear works well. Most of my steaks start by Sous Vide and finish in cast iron.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
My wife is the cast iron queen on our Weber propane grill. Mostly fresh fish, but also the occasional delicious steak.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Oh man, they all sound pretty good to me. My two older sons and their mommy, Mrs. Nucky do some magic on steak and I’m in a hotel room in Savanna now but feel like waking her up and going on home for a steak now.

I’m probably better off not carrying out that plan cause she was watching how to kill your husband and get away with it before she knocked out. Steak tomorrow is a good idea. Thanks guys.

P.S. I came back down 95 instead of the secret way, you know 77 to 81 blah blah blah. Remind me the way you taught me is much better but tomorrow I get to try, avoid the ticket on 301 in Starke. No ticket, Steak reward. If I get a ticket, peanut butter wi fluffernutter to ground meat with Hamburger Helper.

Great thread. Thank You All.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:22 AM

We like Mark's in Ocala. Always good.
Closed Thread

Tags
steak, juiciest, tender, filet, rib

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.