Bad Taste Left In The Mouths Of Our Guests

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

Well said Gracie
Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have been present when people speak to restaurant staff as if they were there to lick their shoes. They speak harshly, commanding them and without a tad of politeness or consideration.

I have seen them berate them for minor situations like running out of water and I have seen them order them like slaves.

I can't imagine on a daily basis what it must be like to be subjected to that kind of atmosphere. I have found the servers in The Villages are the best and most patient of any that I have encountered in my whole life.

I think most of us old farts have very high expectations from the country clubs that are not really country clubs but come through with eatable food at a very low price.

Our village has a dine around group that goes out on a Friday night in high season and of course cannot get reservations during that time for our group that gets as big as thirty, sometime. We are prepared to wait and to chat outside or be seated in smaller groups, enjoying the conversations with each other during waiting. When we are seated because so many have entered at one time, there is usually a LONG delay for food and other service because so many of us came in together. We understand why and I haven't heard any one in our group complain.

It is what it is. There are some restaurant owners that run things better than others and some don't give a care about diplomacy. We have a choice to throw business their way or not. Apparently there is so much business here that even the poor managers stay afloat.
Have been here many years and by my observation, comments like Lick their shoes, commanding them, berate them for running out of water and talking to them like slaves are grossly exaggerated. Yes, some people are rude but lets not get quite so carried away.

Regarding expectations for "Country Clubs" that are not really "Country Clubs" mine are very LOW based on situations encountered at virtually all of these CC imposters. I do agree with you that they serve "edible" food to folks, some however, barely edible. Seriously, they charge very low prices at these joints? Not sure what frame of reference could lead to that conclusion.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball View Post
Have been here many years and by my observation, comments like Lick their shoes, commanding them, berate them for running out of water and talking to them like slaves are grossly exaggerated. Yes, some people are rude but lets not get quite so carried away.

Regarding expectations for "Country Clubs" that are not really "Country Clubs" mine are very LOW based on situations encountered at virtually all of these CC imposters. I do agree with you that they serve "edible" food to folks, some however, barely edible. Seriously, they charge very low prices at these joints? Not sure what frame of reference could lead to that conclusion.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyisle View Post
I'm just amazed that you all even bothered to head up to Glenview without a confirming phone call back. There's no way I'd take a group that large, that far for lunch anywhere without confirmation...
We love the Glenview. We've never had an issue with service for our golf league, but we definitely have confirmed reservations before we show up.
Exactly!
I've had the task of arranging large groups for lunch and dinner. If I called any restaurant and didn't get a call back, I would NEVER ASSUME they got my call. AND I would seek out another place to go for lunch. The fact that they didn't call you back should have set off a RED FLAG. I'm not surprised that you had the results that you experienced. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Bob
Old 07-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball View Post

I'm very close to some of the wait staff that work in TV. You're correct the majority of them are great customers but the small percentage of spoiled, demanding, tasking, "what are you going to do for me" pain in the a****s really are a drain to wait on. Can not, will not be pleased, they know who they are, some of the staff in other clubs swap stories on the horror customers. But that said I would think 90% are fine.
Food and prices in our CC's.....I think of what we left " up north" diner quality at slightly higher prices with a nicer atmosphere, if you keep this thought in mind when you go out you should be ok at most places.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I have been present when people speak to restaurant staff as if they were there to lick their shoes. They speak harshly, commanding them and without a tad of politeness or consideration.

I have seen them berate them for minor situations like running out of water and I have seen them order them like slaves.

I can't imagine on a daily basis what it must be like to be subjected to that kind of atmosphere. I have found the servers in The Villages are the best and most patient of any that I have encountered in my whole life.

I think most of us old farts have very high expectations from the country clubs that are not really country clubs but come through with eatable food at a very low price.

Our village has a dine around group that goes out on a Friday night in high season and of course cannot get reservations during that time for our group that gets as big as thirty, sometime. We are prepared to wait and to chat outside or be seated in smaller groups, enjoying the conversations with each other during waiting. When we are seated because so many have entered at one time, there is usually a LONG delay for food and other service because so many of us came in together. We understand why and I haven't heard any one in our group complain.

It is what it is. There are some restaurant owners that run things better than others and some don't give a care about diplomacy. We have a choice to throw business their way or not. Apparently there is so much business here that even the poor managers stay afloat.
That's a very overzealous characterization of a small number of diners who are rude. On the other side of the coin, at Glenview, I have witnessed rather repulsive behavior however by a certain Bar Maid/ Manager who from my perspective could be described with the sort of adjectives that you selected for customers. Agree with those who contend that Glenview is not a customer friendly establishment, particularly at the Hostess Station.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencus View Post
That's a very overzealous characterization of a small number of diners who are rude. On the other side of the coin, at Glenview, I have witnessed rather repulsive behavior however by a certain Bar Maid/ Manager who from my perspective could be described with the sort of adjectives that you selected for customers. Agree with those who contend that Glenview is not a customer friendly establishment, particularly at the Hostess Station.
Of course it was overzealous. I should have used the modifier some. I was attempting to make a point. No one in my presence in my whole life treated anyone as if they were slaves.

If I said they were unkind and unfair and unfriendly and TOO impatient would you then understand...and it has been a very few people who I have witnessed do that...and they were from HERE in the Villages and I was surprised and dismayed and disgusted at their behavior.

To be exact, it was less than 15 people. Most everyone else here treats people like we do in Ohio. Very politely, right up until the second we want to smack them.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Of course it was overzealous. I should have used the modifier some. I was attempting to make a point. No one in my presence in their whole lives treated anyone as if they were slaves.

If I said they were unkind and unfair and unfriendly and TOO impatient would you then understand...and it has been a very few people who I have witnessed do that...and they were from HERE in the Villages and I was surprised and dismayed and disgusted at their behavior.

To be exact, it was less than 15 people. Most everyone else here treats people like we do in Ohio. Very politely, right up until the second we want to smack them.

I guess you can only push an Ahia gal so far!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Default Really?

23 people at noon, in the middle of the lunch rush, and you don't follow up on your previous phone call....just assuming that someone heard your voicemail and is getting everything ready for you???? C'monn people!!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.