Beer Question

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Veteran member
Default Beer Question

For most of my adult life I have enjoyed an adult beverage now and then. I enjoy a good wine with dinner and friends. Whenever I had the occasion to drink a beer, I was perfectly satisfied with a cold Bud. I never knew the difference between and Ale and a Lager, nor did I care. But recently I have discovered the joys of craft beers and my interest has peaked. So my question is twofold. First, are there any "brew pubs" or other establishments in or near TV that have a great selection of different beers on tap, and secondly, are there any stores that sell home brewing supplies? And here's a suggestion for a new club if anyone is interested. How about a group of Villagers that meet once a week to travel the area and taste and evaluate different beers?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Platinum member

There is a Home Brewers Club in TV, according to a recent article in TV's Daily Sun. You may be able to find out when this group meets in the TV Recreation News. Over the last few years on TOTV, your quetion has come up and been answered about the availability of micro brews in and around TV. Publix now has more micro-brews available than ever before, which suggests that there's a new market in TV for better beers. As an example, they sell Sierra Nevada's Torpedo which I like a lot.

To search TOTV for past info, try this using Google:
site:talkofthevillages.com microbrew

Last edited by gryoung; 12-13-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Added Search Option.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Gold member

I think Brostholder is probably looking for restaurants that carry microbrews ON TAP, i.e., fresh beer. Alas, we haven't found any yet. It's my understanding that the country clubs and the restaurants that lease properties from the Villages also must agree to being supplied by the Villages owned beer/liquor distributor. Kindred Sprits I believe is the name of the retail Villages liquor store.

That's the one downside, especially for Ohioboy, that we have found here, but we knew it coming in. Garvino's carries bottled microbrews, but nothing on tap. Some of the restaurants may carry Sam Adams seasonals on tap, or Bass, but these are not what beer lovers consider microbrews.

If anyone knows differently, please post! In Columbus, where we live in the summer, more and more restaurants/bars are stocking microbrews on tap, and there are a couple of brewpubs that carry their own products (Columbus Brewing Company and Barley's are standouts - Cleveland has The Great Lakes Brewing Company, which is outstanding also). Really miss that here, but you're right, more good bottled beers available in the grocery stores than there were even 3 years ago.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
I think Brostholder is probably looking for restaurants that carry microbrews ON TAP, i.e., fresh beer. Alas, we haven't found any yet. It's my understanding that the country clubs and the restaurants that lease properties from the Villages also must agree to being supplied by the Villages owned beer/liquor distributor. Kindred Sprits I believe is the name of the retail Villages liquor store.

That's the one downside, especially for Ohioboy, that we have found here, but we knew it coming in. Garvino's carries bottled microbrews, but nothing on tap. Some of the restaurants may carry Sam Adams seasonals on tap, or Bass, but these are not what beer lovers consider microbrews.

If anyone knows differently, please post! In Columbus, where we live in the summer, more and more restaurants/bars are stocking microbrews on tap, and there are a couple of brewpubs that carry their own products (Columbus Brewing Company and Barley's are standouts - Cleveland has The Great Lakes Brewing Company, which is outstanding also). Really miss that here, but you're right, more good bottled beers available in the grocery stores than there were even 3 years ago.
Ohio Girl , is it true that phil dirt and the dozers only drink free beer and nothing else, just wondering ??
fumar
Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Ohio Girl , is it true that phil dirt and the dozers only drink free beer and nothing else, just wondering ??
fumar
If they're smart, maybe.

And I would know this just because I'm from Ohio?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Boy do I agree. I am a wine lover at heart, but some of the good micro brews are worth the effort to find. It seems like TV has missed the boat on this one. No place has a good beer selection on tap. I did discover that Garvino's has Boddingtons in the can. Really good and I go there for it, but still it is better on tap. Someplace near by off campus must have a decent selection.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 AM

I haven't seen any quality beers either down at the Villages. I would love to get some Dogfish Head, BBC, or other hoppy beer.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:23 AM

The Fresh Market has a nice selection of beers. You can make your own 6 pack too...

To get good selections on tap you can try Pi, in Ocala on the square. They have a nice selection...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
If they're smart, maybe.

And I would know this just because I'm from Ohio?

They're based in Columbus, OHIO - don't you know all the famous people in OHIO?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 PM

There was an article in the "Sun" that stated the Villages are going to separate the brewing equipment from the restaurant at the former Burbon Street site in Spanish Springs. I was hoping we'd get a brew pub in there (like when Augustine's was there) but doesn't look that way but maybe someone is going to buy the brewing equipment and start selling some local brewed stuff.
Ocala had a few brew pubs but I don't think any of them are still in business . . . there is a Mt. Dora Brew Pub on Highland St. in Mt Dora, Hops in Sanford and in Orlando B.J. and Big Belly's brew their own.

ps . . ale is a subset of beer (like bock and lager), ale is top fermented and ales should be served at about 50 degrees . . . NEVER in a frozen glass.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Sage

Real Men drink beer in cans.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
They're based in Columbus, OHIO - don't you know all the famous people in OHIO?

Yes, it's true that I'm on a first name basis with every famous person in Ohio (but didn't they all leave for California or NYC)?

But, back to Phil Dirt and the Dozers - the son of one lives just outside The Villages, and has a golf cart repair and home maintenance/improvement business - I got his name on TOTV and he replaced my golf cart batteries when I was renting out my villa. Very nice and helpful (like most everyone from Ohio). I will have to ask him about the band's drinking habits . . .
Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Yes, I have drunk beer in cans - as well as all the other rooms.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Platinum member

FYI -- Today's Daily Sun had another article about the Home Brewers Club in TV.

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/n...cc4c002e0.html
Old 12-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Real men may drink beer in cans, but a manly man eats the can too!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.